Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Carrying out of state

Recently, there was a topic about carrying in the work place and I read through the whole thread. Most of us agree in the saying, "better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6".

So how about carrying out of state, in a state that doesnt recognize your PA LTCF(NJ, NY). National reciprocity passed the house last year but never made it to the senate. I'd prefer to carry everywhere i go but obviously cant when going somewhere in NJ or NY. Whats your opinion about this?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Carrying out of state

If there weren't rules about posting about illegal activity, I might say something like:

"I'd guess that by now, the number of times I've "carried illegally" is in the 4-digit range."

But I won't say that, lest I violate the rules.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(York County)

Staying within the rules......all I can say is "Phuq those states"!

I try to avoid states that I can’t carry in.

If you get caught carrying at work you might get reprimanded or possibly fired. This is not good but something that a person can possibly recover from. I fall into the get fired category and don’t carry to or from work because I value my ability to provide for my family, but I understand others making other choices.

Getting caught carrying in a state like New Jersey is different than getting caught carrying at work and can mean losing a lot of money, a loss of freedom (3 1/2 to 10 years), your job if you can’t go because you are facing jail time for carrying in New Jersey, your relationships etc etc etc.....

It’s not a game where they say “you get a do over”. You can seriously fuck your life up. Look at the guy in New York right now who used an unregistered firearm to protect himself. He is going through hell right now.

If you feel that strongly about “better judged by 12 than carried by 6..... “so be it. I understand where people are coming from when they do. Just make sure you understand the true consequences of defending yourself in a state like New York, New Jersey or Maryland. A saying sound great, but we’re not playing a game. There are real and serious consequences if you do get caught. Like I said, I avoid those state as much as I possibly can.
    Last edited by internet troll; June 26th, 2019 at 06:32 PM.

As a point of reference, a bit of information on what can happen if you are found possessing a gun New Jersey. Under Christie some people were pardoned after spending a lot of money and going through a bit of hell. I would not count on Murphy pardoning anyone.

https://www.helmerlegal.com/blog/can...in-new-jersey/

Can I Be Sentenced to Prison for Firearm or Weapon Possession in New Jersey?

May 31, 2018 | Posted In Criminal Law | Share

In New Jersey, simply possessing a firearm can lead to criminal charges carrying the potential for substantial fines and long-term imprisonment. The same is true for certain other types of weapons as well. Under Section 2C:39-5 and other provisions of the New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice, individuals arrested for possession of firearms and other weapons can be charged regardless of whether or not they were involved in any other criminal activity, and possessing a weapon during the commission of a crime can trigger an additional charge carrying additional fines and prison time.

New Jersey Gun Possession Laws
    While certain types of weapons are completely banned in New Jersey, the law allows for possession of many types of firearms with the appropriate license or permit. Unlicensed and unpermitted possession are considered unlawful possession in most (but not all) circumstances under Section 2C:39-5. Some of New Jersey’s penalties for unlawful possession of firearms include:

Knowing possession of a machine gun without a license is a second-degree indictable offense carrying up to a $150,000 fine and five to 10 years of imprisonment.
    Knowing possession of a handgun without a carrying permit is also a second-degree indictable offense unless the propelling force of the gun is “spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air,” in which case possession without a carrying permit is a third-degree indictable offense. Third-degree indictable offenses are punishable by up to a $15,000 fine and three to five years of imprisonment.
    Knowing possession of a rifle or shotgun without a firearms purchaser identification card is a third-degree indictable offense.
    Knowing possession of a loaded rifle or shotgun is a third-degree indictable offense.
    Knowing possession of an operable assault firearm without a license is a second-degree indictable offense.
    Additionally, even possession of a firearm with the appropriate license or permit can constitute a criminal offense in New Jersey if the possessor has “a purpose to use it unlawfully against the person or property of another.” Possession for unlawful purposes is a second-degree indictable offense under Section 2C:39-4.

It is also important to note that even if a person is licensed to have or carry a firearm in another state, that individual cannot have a firearm in New Jersey without a New Jersey permit. To be clear, a person who is licensed to have a firearm in 40 other states and is in possession of a firearm in New Jersey without a New Jersey permit is guilty of having a gun without a permit and faces a potential sentence of up to 10 years in prison and a minimum of 3 ½ years without parole, unless the prosecutor agrees to a less severe sentence.

(York County)

The answer is no, you may not search my car, and the supreme court has rule a reasonable detainment at a traffic stop is 15-20 minutes. Beyond that I will be leaving.

The Hitler youth that patrol PRMD have been known to search cars without owner approval or warrants. Record everything, cell phones are your friend. It would cost me some money, but I would eventually win an appeal.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Delaware County)

My friend & I had this conversation the other day.
    It was about passing through DE and into MD.
    He has a PALCF but no others.
    He felt that because he had a whole load of NRA certifications that he'd be fine.
    I told him he was wrong but he argued his certifications made him more well trained than many cops.
    I don't think he believed me that he'd prolly go to jail in MD and in DE too.
    God Bless the American Armed Forces, Thank You All.

(Montgomery County)

Nope, I do not cross any state lines while armed.

(Lancaster County)

Another thing if you are exiting a vehicle, folks in states that outlaw carry are going to report suspicious things cause thats what sheep do. In PA that may get you a slap on the wrist, in prison states, you may end up in a cell.

Personally, I would not recommend it, just don't go to prison states.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Each person has to decide for themselves, balancing the risk of bodily harm versus the risk of being arrested which will cost probably well over $100,000 in legal fees and you'll likely lose and do jail time.

Which risk are you more willing to bear, assuming you must go into that state?
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast