Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Imo, this is good for the 2nd but....

Not according to some. This instructor does not like people having to jump through less hoops to practice their 2nd amendment rights.

I get it, he is probably making good money off of being an instructor. I get not wanting to see a revenue stream cut off. But the bill is a step in the right direction for the 2nd. Less money and 6 1/2 hours less time for citizens to get a “permit to practice their rights.” The last part of that sentence give me a headache.

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/4071164...-with-new-bill
    Local instructor says it will be 'too easy' to get gun permit with new bill

A new law in Tennessee will change the application process for people trying to get their concealed carry permit.

A new law in Tennessee will change the application process for people trying to get their concealed carry permit.

By July 1, a new law lowers the cost and number of training hours needed for someone to get a concealed carry permit.

It currently costs $100 and requires 8 hours of training to get a concealed and open carry permit.

This new law will lower the cost to $65 and a 90-minute online training course online, but it's only for the concealed carry permit.

For Shaun Cross, senior instructor at Shooter's Supply, the new law is alarming.

"Watching a 90-minute video isn't going to give them any more information on a firearm than reading a book that they probably aren't going to read anyway," Cross said. "It's going to be more hands-on training."

State Rep. Mike Carter of Ooltewah disagrees.

He voted for the new law.

"It's an online training for those that work one or two jobs and don't have the time to go get training," Carter said. "We had inadvertently created a class of people who were ineligible to get permits because of their work schedules."

Carter said this new law is more efficient and less expensive.

It's a change Cross believes could come at a price.

He said if someone with this new permit fires a gun and hurts an innocent person, the state could be held liable.

"I can open myself up to for a lawsuit against me but then I can say 'well the state said I'm good enough to carry. The state said I watched this 90-minute video, I'm good enough to carry a firearm and general populace to protect myself," Cross said.

Btw.... it sounds like this guy gets it.
    “It's an online training for those that work one or two jobs and don't have the time to go get training," Carter said. "We had inadvertently created a class of people who were ineligible to get permits because of their work schedules."

Default Re: Imo, this is good for the 2nd but....

The left doesn't have all of the assholes. Don't let your 2nd amend. rights get in the way of us making money(inturp. of shawn cross statement). I hope that the locals stay the hell away from this greedy assholes place.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Not according to some. This instructor does not like people having to jump through less hoops to practice their 2nd amendment rights.

I get it, he is probably making good money off of being an instructor. I get not wanting to see a revenue stream cut off. But the bill is a step in the right direction for the 2nd. Less money and 6 1/2 hours less time for citizens to get a “permit to practice their rights.” The last part of that sentence give me a headache.

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/4071164...-with-new-bill
    Local instructor says it will be 'too easy' to get gun permit with new bill

By July 1, a new law lowers the cost and number of training hours needed for someone to get a concealed carry permit.

It currently costs $100 and requires 8 hours of training to get a concealed and open carry permit.

This new law will lower the cost to $65 and a 90-minute online training course online, but it's only for the concealed carry permit.

For Shaun Cross, senior instructor at Shooter's Supply, the new law is alarming.

"Watching a 90-minute video isn't going to give them any more information on a firearm than reading a book that they probably aren't going to read anyway," Cross said. "It's going to be more hands-on training."

State Rep. Mike Carter of Ooltewah disagrees.

He voted for the new law.

"It's an online training for those that work one or two jobs and don't have the time to go get training," Carter said. "We had inadvertently created a class of people who were ineligible to get permits because of their work schedules."

Carter said this new law is more efficient and less expensive.

It's a change Cross believes could come at a price.

He said if someone with this new permit fires a gun and hurts an innocent person, the state could be held liable.

"I can open myself up to for a lawsuit against me but then I can say 'well the state said I'm good enough to carry. The state said I watched this 90-minute video, I'm good enough to carry a firearm and general populace to protect myself," Cross said.

Btw.... it sounds like this guy gets it.
    “It's an online training for those that work one or two jobs and don't have the time to go get training," Carter said. "We had inadvertently created a class of people who were ineligible to get permits because of their work schedules."
    Cross is a fucking moron.
    I don't see sheriff's getting sued for issuing a LTCF to someone who then screws up and shoots an innocent bystander. The individual who screwed up, gets sued/ arrested

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    Cross is a fucking moron.
    I don't see sheriff's getting sued for issuing a LTCF to someone who then screws up and shoots an innocent bystander. The individual who screwed up, gets sued/ arrested
    Open myself to lawsuits????
    Getting up in the morning probably "exposes" you to ,at least three felonies.
    John Stossel "three felonies a day".
    Our brethren are already in the Field, why stand we here Idle?
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

(Juniata County)

Any training or fee to exercise a Constitutional right is an burden to high to bear.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Just to play Devil's Advocate here: When you read a news story about some dude with a PA LTCF screwing up and waving the gun at other motorists, or shooting a guy for trying to butt in line ahead of him, is your gut reaction "hey, good for him!" Or is it more of a "here we go, more fodder for the anti's to sponsor some new bill to make it harder for the rest of us"?

Not saying that 8 hours of training would prevent that, or even that the tiny percentage of LTCF-holders who screw up represent more than a statistical blip. Just the reality that the insane Left holds us all responsible for what any 1 of us does; worse, they hold the law-abiding and the NRA responsible for when some underage gangbanger with a stolen gun goes nuts.

There are reasons for even a pro-2nd guy to want some restrictions. That being said, we have zero training required here and we have relatively few LTCF holders running amok.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Just to play Devil's Advocate here: When you read a news story about some dude with a PA LTCF screwing up and waving the gun at other motorists, or shooting a guy for trying to butt in line ahead of him, is your gut reaction "hey, good for him!" Or is it more of a "here we go, more fodder for the anti's to sponsor some new bill to make it harder for the rest of us"?

Not saying that 8 hours of training would prevent that, or even that the tiny percentage of LTCF-holders who screw up represent more than a statistical blip. Just the reality that the insane Left holds us all responsible for what any 1 of us does; worse, they hold the law-abiding and the NRA responsible for when some underage gangbanger with a stolen gun goes nuts.

There are reasons for even a pro-2nd guy to want some restrictions. That being said, we have zero training required here and we have relatively few LTCF holders running amok.
    Like the helmet law, a good idea but a bad law.

Nobody needs training to the minimum standards of an unconstitutional law.

Everyone needs to seek out the very best education and training in law, tactics and safety and then practice until proficient.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Like the helmet law, a good idea but a bad law.

Nobody needs training to the minimum standards of an unconstitutional law.

Everyone needs to seek out the very best education and training in law, tactics and safety and then practice until proficient.
    This.

We should educate people to want and seek training.

IT should never be required to exercise a right.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Indiana County)

Meanwhile, roughly 15% of all adult Pennsylvanians obtained a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms (and that's over a million of us), and not one was required per state law to receive any sort of training, either in person or on-line.

(Lancaster County)

I'll be ok with required training for firearms when an depth test on current issues and the function of government is given before being allowed to vote. Far more damage is done to the country due to uneducated voters than guns have ever caused.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast