Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Talking Volunteer Arms, Commando......Thompson wanna-be?

Hello All!

My brother called me about a used "Thompson" S/A rifle in .45 ACP made by Volunteer Arms out of TN. He found this down in a gunshop in NC for $550. Thinking this was a good price for a "Thompson" I did a web search- but what I found was a cosmetically similar, yet cheesy looking, S/A rifle w/ a plastic lower receiver. Most bloggers do not recommend this rifle, and there were several of the opinion that it is worth $300 at the most.

Does anyone here have first hand experience w/ this rifle? Is it really that bad, or is it getting a bad rap?

Thanks!
    -Bruce545

(Pike County)

Default Re: Volunteer Arms, Commando......Thompson wanna-be?

They where made under several names by different companies, I had one of the Commando arms models with the horizontal forgrip when I lived in NJ before the AWB, and had to get rid of it.
    It used modified Thompson stick mags. You could not use the drums on it.
    I bought it to replace a semi auto Thompson, which was one of the biggest POS guns I ever owned.
    I liked it. Back then I think I paid about $300 for it new, this in perhaps 1984 or 5.
    It was cool, and I do not recall any great problems with the gun. Wish I stilll had it.
    Check gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com for $$$ that they are going for nowdays.

(Cambria County)

I also recently picked up a VEI Commando Mark 45. Being mostly plastic and sheetmetal, it's not what one would call a top quality firearm. Never-the-less, with the big pipe sticking out the front, it definitely was getting attention at the gun show I found it at. A little worn and dinged, but the bore is mint. Mine is the military version, with horizontal stock. Someone (poorly) welded two 30 rd mags together to make a long 60. I tried to work with the mag, but it was a complete loss. I picked up two surplus 30 rd Thompson mags, and made the modification required to the mag latch hole to work in the Mark 45. It also had a feeding problem which I tracked down to being the extractor spring applying too much pressure. After some doing, I was able to get that set right. (first time got it set too light, and wouldn't always extract) And while I was at it, I opened up the trigger opening so it doesn't chew on your trigger finger when you shoot it. I may still fill in the hollow area below the trigger with black epoxy if it's still too uncomfortable, but I don't think I'll have to. I also picked up a reproduction military Thompson sling when I got the mags to complete the look.

I think it's a nice conversation piece / plinker if you can get one for a decent price. Definitely better than paying $1000+ for a (no practical use) real Thompson and worrying about dinging it.

(Washington County)

Yeah, it's kinda like a thompson, like a kit car on a VW frame is kinda like a ferrari or whatever, or in today's car terms it's like putting a noisy exhaust on a rusted '89 civic 4 door.

As long as the gun goes bang each time and you enjoy it, that's what matters. For $500, it seems kinda high, but there's not a lot of them around so...

And it is an interesting conversation piece if you know why it's NOT the real deal.

I bought one at a show about 10 years ago for $250...until several people at the show stopped me and pointed out that the lower receiver was cracked and epoxied in 3 places and I took it back.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA