Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default .45 1911 Dan Wesson Valor & snub nose .38 carry ammo question

Hey All! I have been doing some research on my own, but figured I would ask here too. quick back story - I usually carry one of two 9mm handguns - in both I use 115 grain critical defense (non +p) and they feed and print fine in both. Not looking to change that setup.

.. but I have a 2 inch 38 special s&w, and a Dan Wesson Valor In .45 that I want to start carrying sometimes too. For both the .38 & .45 i want to avoid +p ammo (just preference). For the .38 I’m looking for opinions/suggestions on best performing round for self defense/quality... and for .45 valor want to hear from anyone that may be familiar with running hollow points threw one (it has run 110% reliable with fmj, never used hollow points in it yet)

Thanks

(Berks County)

Default Re: .45 1911 Dan Wesson Valor & snub nose .38 carry ammo question

Critical Defense 38 comes in 110gr and 90gr lite. They do make a 110 +P.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Monroe County)

I’ll give this thread a couple days to see what the consensus is, but I’ve been kind of leaning towards the 110 grain you mentioned. & for the .45 I’m not apposed to fmj just ‘cuz it’s a .45

Any suggestion help, thanks gunsnwater

(Berks County)

I’d not use FMJ. Over penetration. Try some federal guard dog 45 165gr.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Dauphin County)

FMJ is not really good for self defence. Risk of over penetration would really suck to go through the bad guy and into someone else.

(Montgomery County)

In a pinch, 45acp 230gr ball is better than 9x19 115gr ball for self defense. But since you aren't in a pinch and can buy some ammo today - I'd suggest Federal HST 230gr standard pressure. The only way to find out if your gun feeds it reliably is to do some shooting!

The most recommended .38sp loads for SD are usually +P, so I don't have any standard pressure recommendations off hand.

(Monroe County)

Was looking hard at the hst since the ballistics/reviews looked good & I like that the weight is the same as hardball.

—Seems like I’m going to go 110g critical defense with the .38 & 230g hst for the .45.

My guess is they will do just fine. Usually for hunting and any type of SD ammo I use Hornady ammo.. so kinda wanted to feel people out a bit because I didn’t love the Hornady weight/non +p options in 45 ... and since I don’t want to run +p, I know .38 usually people run +p kinda found myself scratching my head. I’ll keep seeing what else comes of the thread but I’ll start with the two loads mentioned above.

**Regarding +p ammo my opinion regardless of what people say is it’s a tad gimmicky & puts unnecessary abuse on the gun - that being said I still want the best performance I can get out of standard pressure.

Thanks again all.
    Last edited by NiceGuy; June 19th, 2019 at 10:56 AM.

Your Valor should eat anything that you feed it without issue. There is a reason that it is their flagship model.
    The ONLY issue mine has ever had was a 15 year old relatively new shooter getting a single failure to eject because he limp wristed it once.
    I wouldn't worry about +P causing problems unless it is from a plastic pistol or something considerably older than you mentioned, before modern metallurgy really came into play. However, I also wouldn't specifically seek it out for a .45. Heavy and slow does the job just fine.

If you want to avoid +P ... "just for preference" in 38 spl ..... you will begin to notice that most 38spl is +P and selection really drops off once you eliminate that.