Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Bass "hunting".... fishing tomorrow.

Opener is the 15th FWIW

Default Re: Bass "hunting".... fishing tomorrow.

Are you catch and release?

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Are you catch and release?
    Seems like a weird hippie type question.
    Bout the only thing I keep on a regular basis is those stocked store bought trout.....while lake fishing if a crappie hits it ... he goes home also.
    Have done walleye fishing , here and Erie .... not often but they go home.
    Catfish I sometimes do , and they go home....
    I have no desire to catch 100 panfish and clean them ....... so that is not for me.
    Keeping bass I find odd , no idea why ..... it's just always been that way./
    You COULD eat them , no reason you couldn't ...... but that has always been a toss 'em back type of thing for me anyhow and I think most do ..... I have met some that eat them ........
    And if I pick up any pickerel or the like ... I toss them back .... ain't dealing with those "too bony" for me.
    I actually like fishing and knowing I ain't going have to clean anything.........

Did you do any good?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Bout the only thing I keep on a regular basis is those stocked store bought trout.....while lake fishing if a crappie hits it ... he goes home also.
    I have no desire to catch 100 panfish and clean them ....... so that is not for me.
    You COULD eat them , no reason you couldn't ...... but that has always been a toss 'em back type of thing for me anyhow and I think most do ..... I have met some that eat them ........
    And if I pick up any pickerel or the like ... I toss them back .... ain't dealing with those "too bony" for me.
    I actually like fishing and knowing I ain't going have to clean anything.........
    Cleaning fish is definitely taken into consideration when I get into a good school of perch. I don't fish to release so if I'm releasing it's time to go home and I eat bass as do plenty of other people. This is evidenced by the shortage of them after the season opens compared to what you'll catch in May. I'll keep the Pike also but I cut the bones out when I'm cleaning them and coat them with Zattarain's fish fry. Pike, Pickerel, Muskies all put a lot of pressure on the other fish and I've been known to toss them up on the bank.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I did ok. I'm happy.
    The weather certainly was pleasant.
    I'm not real sure you can compare the ease of catching bass in May ... to mid June and later and chalk it up as too many folks eating them..... I mean it's a whole different ball game at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Not a "hippy" question. Growing up as a fisherman we learned of fish that were over fished,
    so we started releasing them and that one fish was bass (large and small mouth).
    Another reason we practiced catch and release was to insure they were there the next time
    we went fishing.
    Nothing like fishing a reservoir with nothing in it. Pan fish are a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Not a "hippy" question. Growing up as a fisherman we learned of fish that were over fished,
    so we started releasing them and that one fish was bass (large and small mouth).
    Another reason we practiced catch and release was to insure they were there the next time
    we went fishing.
    Nothing like fishing a reservoir with nothing in it. Pan fish are a different story.
    I sometimes run into trout hippies and they are the only guys I've ever heard that line from.
    It's funny you mention reservoirs We have a number of them in the area and all are strictly off limits.
    One of them you aren't even allowed to look at I believe. Although the police have their own private shooting range next to/on it.
    That apparently is o.k.
    We were promised many years ago that they were going to be opened up ...... but that was a lie.
    I have fished reservoirs further south near Maryland and if you had the desire , you could chuck a small boat over the guard rail and use a boat minus gas motors.
    2 of the reservoirs near me have been fished "illegally" for years by folks due to the lay of the land and the one has some real lunkers in it.
    I don't see any shortage of bass where I go ..... now my friend is an absolute fanatic fishing plastic.
    I absolutely hate plastic. Tried it , many times .... I have neither the touch nor the patience for it.
    And he takes both more and larger fish than I normally do ........
    I used to fish private land that was open to the public and one of the "ponds" was stacked deep with bass.
    But you did need a tiny boat to get to that part of the pond if you wanted to fish them.......
    Game commission finally wined and dined the owner enough and now you can only walk back in there and the Game comm has their own private fishing holes now.
    But man , that used to be great.