Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Is this a troll or real letter?

This appears to be a Dear Abby type of column. Based on the way it read I had to make sure it was not an Onion type of article. The father is looking for advice. His daughter has a gun (not a normal one, it shoots .40 caliber) and he now locks his bedroom door because he’s not sure what his daughter of 24 years might do.

The columnist is weeping because there is likely another unsafe gun owner out there.

Ask Amy: Dad horrified there's a gun in house
    Amy Dickinson
    Dear Amy: This week I discovered that my intelligent, hard-working, responsible 24-year-old daughter (who lives with me) is a gun owner! And it's not a normal gun either — it is a 40 caliber semi-automatic, and she has hollow point bullets.

Amy, this is the kind of weapon a criminal would possess! She says it is for emergencies. There have only been two home invasions in our neighborhood in the last 11 years.

I've given her three choices: She can either give her weapon to me, sell it or move out in three weeks.

I love my daughter and would be so sad for her to move into a place that she would hardly be able to afford, but now I have to lock my bedroom door at night because I don't know what she's going to do.

She says I don't trust her, and is barely speaking to me. How can I convince her to stop endangering us?

— Dumbfounded Father

Dear Dumbfounded: According to my research, possessing hollow point bullets is illegal in 11 states; is it legal in your state to own this sort of exploding ammunition?

In a report published in 2015, researchers at the University of Chicago found that 31 percent of households reported having a firearm in 2014, down from about 48 percent in 1980.

According to this study, there are more guns, but concentrated in fewer households. Why must your household be one of them?

Where did your daughter get this weapon and ammunition? Has she received any safety training or certification? (Accidental gun death is a substantial risk of owning a gun.) Is she perhaps engaged in another activity outside of your household that exposes her to increased risks and makes her believe she needs to have a weapon?

I have news for you: A locked bedroom door is no match for this weaponry; as I write this, just five days ago a father in South Carolina tragically shot and killed his own 23-year-old daughter through a closed door — when he mistook her for an intruder.

I agree with your ultimatum; I also weep that there is yet another (likely unsafe) gun owner in this country.
    Last edited by internet troll; June 13th, 2019 at 06:42 AM.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Is this a troll or real letter?

Amy Dickinson is a well-known syndicated advice columnist (Ask Amy) and certified liberal. She is also a regular panelist on NPR's Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, a weekly comedy-quiz radio show which is known for Trump bashing, but lately the host and panelists have been slinging mud at Biden, Booker, and other Demoncrats. Buttgiggle was a guest about 7-9 months ago.

Based on what I know of Dickinson, the Ask Amy letter seems genuine, and her response is totally in character.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Amy Dickinson is a well-known syndicated advice columnist (Ask Amy) and certified liberal. She is also a regular panelist on NPR's Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, a weekly comedy-quiz radio show which is known for Trump bashing, but lately the host and panelists have been slinging mud at Biden, Booker, and other Demoncrats. Buttgiggle was a guest about 7-9 months ago.

Based on what I know of Dickinson, the Ask Amy letter seems genuine, and her response is totally in character.

Noah
    Thanks, I see she took over for Ann Landers. I had never heard of her before and did not know anything about her but am not surprised she is anti gun. I’m sure her response is genuine. Is the letter itself real or written by a pro gunner to get a ridiculous response from her?

(Erie County)

is it legal in your state to own this sort of exploding ammunition?

Does one not need a tax stamp for this
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(York County)

Dear Dumbfounded Father: Grow a pair.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix01 View Post
    Dear Dumbfounded Father: Grow a pair.

Makes you wonder if he was the biological father.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Wayne County)

I wonder if the daughter took took door #3 and grew a pair.

(Monroe County)

The sad thing is there are many like her father out there, ignorant, emotionally unstable and unable to deal with life in general/ Hopefully his daughter moves out and severs contact with this weak and clueless sperm donor.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Thanks, I see she took over for Ann Landers. I had never heard of her before and did not know anything about her but am not surprised she is anti gun. I’m sure her response is genuine. Is the letter itself real or written by a pro gunner to get a ridiculous response from her?
    I would not be surprised if Dickinson wrote both the letter and response, given her liberal activist stance. It is sometimes common for advice columnists to do so. If the letter was genuine, and I'll admit it may be, it would have been "edited" (rewritten to polish it up) for publication.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

"Only 2 home invasions in 11 years". Sounds like a shitty neighborhood.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast