Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default I'm expired... What's the process to renew? Or am I now like any other 1st timer?

I'm somewhat convinced I never got a renewal notice but either way, it's my fault for not having been on top of it. I just realized I was expired today (expiration happening earlier this year). Is there an abbreviated "renewal" process for me or do I just go about it like I'm getting my carry license for the first time again?

Thanks in advance.

(Berks County)

Default Re: I'm expired... What's the process to renew? Or am I now like any other 1st timer?

Application and renewal are identical process.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

Default Re: I'm expired... What's the process to renew? Or am I now like any other 1st timer?

The only difference is the check box on the front will indicate ''New" instead of "Renew"
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by BearTHIS View Post
    I'm somewhat convinced I never got a renewal notice but either way, it's my fault for not having been on top of it. I just realized I was expired today (expiration happening earlier this year). Is there an abbreviated "renewal" process for me or do I just go about it like I'm getting my carry license for the first time again?

Thanks in advance.
    I believe you have 60 days after the expiration date to renew. However, there is no difference between renewal and a new application. You just check the box for RENEWAL on the top right of the form. I am almost positive, but you can ask the deputy about this when you submit the application.

https://www.montcopa.org/401/Gun-Permits
    Last edited by SevenMilePete; June 13th, 2019 at 12:40 AM.

(Chester County)

I just renewed in Chester County. It was a very simple and abbreviated process. Go in, hand them the form and a check for $20, get your picture taken, sit on the bench for 5 minutes, and walk out with your new card. My son turned 21 and just applied for his first CCW and went through the same process as me but had to wait around 5 days for the card to come in the mail.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    I just renewed in Chester County. It was a very simple and abbreviated process. Go in, hand them the form and a check for $20, get your picture taken, sit on the bench for 5 minutes, and walk out with your new card. My son turned 21 and just applied for his first CCW and went through the same process as me but had to wait around 5 days for the card to come in the mail.
    OMG!! He called a LTCF a CCW!!!!!

Most wrongest evah!!!!!

Bustin on the terminology nazis.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Franklin County)

Hang on to the expired license if you still have it, and get renewed ASAP.

As long as you are still legally qualified, you fall under an exception for 6 month after expiration*. The expired license will establish the applicable dates if you need to present it.

*§6106 (b)(12)
    (12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the replies. Sadly, I'm just now getting around to taking care of this and ran into a few more questions...

1) what am I supposed to answer for question #32, which starts out "if you are a resident of another state..." ? Logically this does NOT APPLY, but I see that the mentally handicapped people that designed this process only offer YES or NO. Do I leave it blank or try to go with what I THINK they'd like me to do, and check NO?

2) My LTCF is 1 year expired. Do I check the box next to "RENEWAL" at the top?

3) I could have sworn I had to pay a visit to my township PD for some reason before going to the Montco courthouse when I first got my LTCF. But now I'm not sure if that had something to do with my C&R application, I just can't recall. Is this one page LTCF form all I need or am I missing something and need local PD to vouch for me?

It's a shame it has to be even this inconvenient, I much preferred the process for being able to say what I want without government approval and being able to go about life without government searching me whenever they felt like it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BearTHIS View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Sadly, I'm just now getting around to taking care of this and ran into a few more questions...

1) what am I supposed to answer for question #32, which starts out "if you are a resident of another state..." ? Logically this does NOT APPLY, but I see that the mentally handicapped people that designed this process only offer YES or NO. Do I leave it blank or try to go with what I THINK they'd like me to do, and check NO?

2) My LTCF is 1 year expired. Do I check the box next to "RENEWAL" at the top?

3) I could have sworn I had to pay a visit to my township PD for some reason before going to the Montco courthouse when I first got my LTCF. But now I'm not sure if that had something to do with my C&R application, I just can't recall. Is this one page LTCF form all I need or am I missing something and need local PD to vouch for me?

It's a shame it has to be even this inconvenient, I much preferred the process for being able to say what I want without government approval and being able to go about life without government searching me whenever they felt like it.
    1) I don't recall, leave that blank and ask the Deputy when you go in

2) it will be a new application now

3) Montco got rid of that crap (the local PD check form) a couple years ago. It's now just the statewide form as it should be. Please let us know if they issue same day nowadays.
    Last edited by jthrelf; October 6th, 2019 at 08:03 PM.