Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Lending a gun to a friend

I would have no problem letting a friend with a LTCF borrow a handgun. I'd question why they wouldn't just buy their own and I'd offer to assist them with that. If it was temporary until they researched what they wanted or until they saved up a couple more $, that would be fine to me.

If you wouldn't loan your friend one of your guns because you don't trust them - then why are you friends with them in the first place?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I would have no problem letting a friend with a LTCF borrow a handgun. I'd question why they wouldn't just buy their own and I'd offer to assist them with that. If it was temporary until they researched what they wanted or until they saved up a couple more $, that would be fine to me.

If you wouldn't loan your friend one of your guns because you don't trust them - then why are you friends with them in the first place?
    Friends come in all shapes and sizes. I have friends I would go to battle with/for. Other friends are good to hang out with, but I wouldn't trust them with a gun...even if it was theirs. Friends don't have to be all or nothing. There is a spectrum of friends. So, yes, I do have friends who I wouldn't loan a gun to, but that doesn't mean I can't still be friends with them on some level.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    Friends come in all shapes and sizes. I have friends I would go to battle with/for. Other friends are good to hang out with, but I wouldn't trust them with a gun...even if it was theirs. Friends don't have to be all or nothing. There is a spectrum of friends. So, yes, I do have friends who I wouldn't loan a gun to, but that doesn't mean I can't still be friends with them on some level.
    Agreed, one size does not fit all when it comes to 'friendship', you just need to know the limits and boundaries with each one. But...I'd feel insulted if my buddy wanted to take my gun shooting and not invite me to go along.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    The intent of the arrangement is to circumvent the law. Are you the actual buyer? The intention is a loan not a sale. The dollar proves the conspiracy. Are you going to write a contract? Lies on the federal form are prosecuted.
    So you're saying because it's illegal to lend a gun to your friend (minus the LTCF accommodations), that SELLING the gun (legally transfering) to him and then BUYING it back (again, another legal transfer) is "circumventing the law".

NO. That is not the case at all. It is FOLLOWING the law so as to NOT circumvent it. Doing a PICS check both ways is LEGAL transfer of the gun, and in no way circumvents ANY law.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    So you're saying because it's illegal to lend a gun to your friend (minus the LTCF accommodations), that SELLING the gun (legally transfering) to him and then BUYING it back (again, another legal transfer) is "circumventing the law".

NO. That is not the case at all. It is FOLLOWING the law so as to NOT circumvent it. Doing a PICS check both ways is LEGAL transfer of the gun, and in no way circumvents ANY law.
    In fact, that process is what 'universal background checks' would mandate

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    So why does one pose hypothetical questions? Sure, you can sell it to your friend and transfer it to them through an FFL then get it back the same way.
    So it costs 50 bucks or more to lend someone a handgun? lol

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    So it costs 50 bucks or more to lend someone a handgun? lol
    Something like that.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Somewhere around Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)

Just a point of clarification here, since there are many assumptions made in this thread. The person who asked me is a 21 year old college student, which should answer why she can't just buy a gun, since she's most likely living off Ramen Noodles. She's house sitting somewhere for a week, where as she ordinarily lives with her parents. In talking about how she'd be alone in a strange house for a week, she asked if she could borrow a gun, but it was just in jest. There was never going to be any lending or borrowing happening no matter what. It was just that I wasn't certain about the answer to the question, as it stood as a hypothetical.

(Montgomery County)

Tell her to dial 911. The police are sworn to "protect and serve".

Or, you can easily just give her your double barrel shotgun and she can fire it in the air to scare off intruders.

**Disclaimer - All information above, while rooted in reality, are likely to result in bad things happening to her.**

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Overscore View Post
    Just a point of clarification here, since there are many assumptions made in this thread. The person who asked me is a 21 year old college student, which should answer why she can't just buy a gun, since she's most likely living off Ramen Noodles. She's house sitting somewhere for a week, where as she ordinarily lives with her parents. In talking about how she'd be alone in a strange house for a week, she asked if she could borrow a gun, but it was just in jest. There was never going to be any lending or borrowing happening no matter what. It was just that I wasn't certain about the answer to the question, as it stood as a hypothetical.
    So the answer is: if she lived in a county with same day issued LTCF and she had $20 to spare, then no problem.

The other answer to this specific scenario - let her borrow a long gun. Then there's really no issues.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast