Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: How many times do you rack the slide before being confident it’s not loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Good point.
    This post should have been the first response and the thread could have been closed.

I admit that I rack it two or three times, but yeah - if you LOOK after you pull/lock the slide back, what's the point of all the extra manipulations?
    The question in the OP was what is the LEO training standard (since it can't possibly be 10 repetitive racks).
    The question wasn't what does [your name here] do when clearing a loaded weapon.

The triple rack and clear was how they trained LEO's 20+ years ago.
    I don't know if the standards have changed, as training standards do change over time.

They trained us that way for ritualized redundancy.
    When you do something 3 times it forces your attention better than doing it just once.
    Doing something just one time can easily become none times when brain farting.

As an example, my decrepit body requires medication on a schedule.
    I have found that if I just pop a pill without focusing I sometimes can't remember if I took the pill, especially if Kpop is involved.
    But if I hold the pill for a few seconds and flip it over 3 times while reading the markings, it forces my focus and I remember with certainty that I took the pill.

And no, I don't have OCD.
    I actually learned that trick from my Grandmother many years ago, and it does work.
    I think it's more or less the same idea with the triple rack and clear.
    -
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Default Re: How many times do you rack the slide before being confident it’s not loaded?

3 times... because it's harder to miss 3 fresh shells being flung out of the gun.
    this is especially true with pump shotguns as, being a lefty, it results in the shells getting tossed at my face
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    The question in the OP was what is the LEO training standard (since it can't possibly be 10 repetitive racks).
    The question wasn't what does [your name here] do when clearing a loaded weapon.

I don't know if the standards have changed, as training standards do change over time.

When you do something 3 times it forces your attention better than doing it just once.

I have found that if I just pop a pill without focusing I sometimes can't remember if I took the pill, especially if Kpop is involved.
    But if I hold the pill for a few seconds and flip it over 3 times while reading the markings, it forces my focus and I remember with certainty that I took the pill.

I actually learned that trick from my Grandmother many years ago, and it does work.
    -
    Check it once, check it twice, check it one more time locking the slide back on an empty chamber.

Remember it well.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Check it once, check it twice, check it one more time locking the slide back on an empty chamber.

Remember it well.
    FBI Special Agents carry condition zero and are taught to clear their pieces by dropping them.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/10/dancin...gets-gun-back/

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post

-
    Have you ever been sitting on the throne for a while, and can't remember if you pooped or not?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Have you ever been sitting on the throne for a while, and can't remember if you pooped or not?
    I think there is an Urban Dictionary reference to the 'phantom dump' beyond the more common definition.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I lock the slide back, look down through the mag well, then look into the chamber. If it didn't come out the first time, it probably won't come out the second time, and it's highly unlikely to come out the third. Here's what would need to happen for someone to get hurt:

(1) The round wasn't pulled out by the extractor.
    (2) I didn't notice that a round wasn't ejected.
    (3) I didn't go looking for the round that I thought was ejected.
    (4) I checked the chamber to verify it was empty, but I didn't see the chambered round.
    (4) I didn't treat the "empty" gun as loaded.
    (5) I pointed the gun in an unsafe direction.
    (6) I intentionally or unintentionally pulled the trigger.

The chance of all of those things happening together is EXTREMELY small, and wouldn't be improved significantly by multiple racking.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    WHY?
    Muscle memory.

When I leave the house in the morning, after I lock the door, I also try to open it 2 or 3 times to get it indelibly etched into my memory that I have locked the door. Ever drive away wondering if you have locked the house? Never happens to me.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    Muscle memory.

When I leave the house in the morning, after I lock the door, I also try to open it 2 or 3 times to get it indelibly etched into my memory that I have locked the door. Ever drive away wondering if you have locked the house? Never happens to me.
    No.

(Bucks County)

I rack until she says she's had enough.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast