Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: How many times do you rack the slide before being confident it’s not loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    I don't think I technically have an OCD, but I have some weird habits when it comes to numbers or times I have to do something.
    Haha, me too. I count the steps at work everyday as I go up. Part of the reason is I rarely count the same number twice in a row. I'm still not sure if there are 23 or 24 steps.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: How many times do you rack the slide before being confident it’s not loaded?

Rack 3 times on the ceiling if you want to,....

(Elk County)

Twice on the pipes . . .

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    why are you unloading a firearm?

i drop the magazine and rack the slide, then i chase the loose round be it down the magwell, onto the floor, half into my palm and half in the slide. whatever. i lock the slide back and clean/lube/service before reloading and chambering a round.
    i keep my fingers off the trigger and don't buy guns that require a trigger pull for disassembly.

if i do not have the slide locked back for some reason, i will check that a round isn't chambered by racking it and locking it back.
    i do not rush my procedure, it gets my full attention, the entire world can burn or wait, i'm handling a firearm.

i love in movies when a firearm is racked, in the next scene it is again, in the next scene it is again. or endless ammo, never need to reload.
    one must assume that between every scene while in enemy territory the firearm is reloaded and a round is not chambered.
    I like when they show a guy firing a 9mm and then do a close up view of 556 in the magazine.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I like when they show a guy firing a 9mm and then do a close up view of 556 in the magazine.
    how about the 20 round revolvers?
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    how about the 20 round revolvers?
    Also wanted to mention.
    The easiest way I have found to catch the ejected round when clearing the gun is to cover the ejection port and the mag well when working the action.
    So when I wrap the slide with my support hand I just grab it slightly more forward than usual and my hand blocks the ejection port.
    My strong hand does a low grab to cover the empty mag well, and the ejected round bounces off my top hand and falls down the well and lands in my bottom hand.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Twice on the pipes . . .

Noah
    HA! I see what you did there.

once-but I also lock it open

Anytime else- twice is nice.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post

... and those films never get the nod for an Oscar in Editing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Berks County)

I pop the magazine, rack the slide and do my best to catch the flying round, rack a second time, lock it open and peek inside. When handing it off to another person I pass it with the open slide facing their eyes and the barrel facing down.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Monroe County)

Never, I drop my mag, pull my slide back to eject the round and lock it open to do a chamber and mag well check. To me and my my opinion all that extra stuff can lead to more problems. It has worked for me these past 40 plus years and with the exception of one major trigger finger screw up at 17 I have had zero issues since.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast