Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Default Re: How many times do you rack the slide before being confident it’s not loaded?

3 or 4. (never just one)
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Default Re: How many times do you rack the slide before being confident it’s not loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    This gave me a laugh because I've seen the effect if done improperly. While deployed to Iraq I watched an Air Force nurse put two rounds in a clearing barrel. She racked the slide, confirmed the barrel was clear, pointed her 9mm at the clearing barrel, pulled the trigger and was rewarded with a BANG. All steps were repeated with another successful barrel kill. She was clearing the pipe but had never dropped her mag. When counseled this senior officer claimed the Army intentionally issued her a defective weapon.
    That attitude, in a nurse, likely kills patients. You don't blame the gun for firing, you don't blame the syringe for the overdose you just gave a guy.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    This gave me a laugh because I've seen the effect if done improperly. While deployed to Iraq I watched an Air Force nurse put two rounds in a clearing barrel. She racked the slide, confirmed the barrel was clear, pointed her 9mm at the clearing barrel, pulled the trigger and was rewarded with a BANG. All steps were repeated with another successful barrel kill. She was clearing the pipe but had never dropped her mag. When counseled this senior officer claimed the Army intentionally issued her a defective weapon.
    "My gun defectively worked properly."

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    After dropping the magazine, I lock the slide to the rear. Visually and physically inspect the chamber and magazine well. If a case is stuck or an extractor is broken, it isn't going to matter how many times you do it. Anything other than what I have described is a waste of energy. I can rack a Keltec to the rear and hold it open with one hand to perform the same check.
    Good point.
    This post should have been the first response and the thread could have been closed.

I admit that I rack it two or three times, but yeah - if you LOOK after you pull/lock the slide back, what's the point of all the extra manipulations?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I admit that I rack it two or three times, but yeah - if you LOOK after you pull/lock the slide back, what's the point of all the extra manipulations?
    Um...wasting all that extra energy?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    3 or 4. (never just one)
    WHY?

I think we need about 10 more pages on the nuances of slide racking.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    Um...wasting all that extra energy?
    Well, now you’ve insulted the OCD’ers.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Well, now you’ve insulted the OCD’ers.
    I don't have OCD. I have CDO, where the letters are in alphabetical order... the way they're *supposed* to be. That said...

If I've dropped the mag, locked back the slide, and visually/physically checked the chamber - it's empty.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    That attitude, in a nurse, likely kills patients. You don't blame the gun for firing, you don't blame the syringe for the overdose you just gave a guy.
    She's an army nurse. She wasn't trained on weapons, just handed one.

See it all the time.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast