Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: How many times do you rack the slide before being confident it’s not loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It was a brand-new gun with box and papers, but the mother swore that it didn't come with any instructions. Her argument was that the shop was negligent in not handing her the instructions (which came with every gun, were free, and could be obtained for free from the manufacturer); that because the mother didn't get safety instructions that this translated into the neighbor boy being unaware of the danger.

Philly juries. It's not their money, so why not spread it around?

BTW, this was not my case, I heard about it later from the shop, and looked up the details in the reporter.
    The “lawyer” who represented the gun shop should be disbarred for incompetence.

(Elk County)

Default Re: How many times do you rack the slide before being confident it’s not loaded?

A business customer acquaintance wanted to show me his new Colt Defender compact 1911 in his office, and I watched him quickly run thru this drill:

Unholster weapon.
    Drop loaded mag.
    Rack slide open, ejecting chambered round to floor.
    Engage slide lock.
    Visually inspect chamber.
    Reinsert loaded mag.
    "Slingshot" the slide closed.
    Point the weapon down at the floor beside his desk.
    Pull trigger, busting the chambered round into the carpet, flooring, and crawlspace beneath.

"Functions OK, Joe," I said, "but that part could have waited for range time."

He was shocked and shaking. I took the hot weapon out of his hand (safely) and cleared it with no mag in the grip and slide locked open while Joe puked into his wastebasket. I thumbed the rounds out of the mag and placed them in a row on the desk.

After he got composed, he apologized profusely, and kept saying, "What did I do?" I walked him through it using the empty mag (not EmptyMag), and recommended not reinserting the mag and leaving the slide locked back open before transferring control of the piece to another.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Delaware County)

According to Saint Attila, "Three shall be the number. Count not to two unless it be on the way to three. Four is right out." Oops, that's the instructions on how long to hold the Holy Hand Grenade after pulling the pin. Still, it works for me as long as the magazine is out, the clip is on the nightstand, and I've inspected the chamber.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Smile Re: How many times do you rack the slide before being confident it’s not loaded?

Always have racked slide 3 times before holstering,inserting a mag etc.You will never know when that one live round is stuck in the chamber also doing a visual of the chamber is good firearm safety practice ! JMO/MDT

(Lancaster County)

Drop mag, bolt back, ECI in, done.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Lehigh County)

However many times it takes to get the slide to stay open.

While I'm very happy with my S&W M&Ps.
    Their slide lock is not the greatest. I don't always lock the slide open on the first try.
    My thumb is about 1/8" too short to 100% reliably operate the slide lock/release button without sometimes having to adjust my grip.
    Our feet swell up in hot weather and/or expand during the day. I assume the same occurs with our hands.
    --ET

(Bucks County)

Drop mag, rack to eject, coolly catch the ejected round, point the pistol in a safe direction and pull the trigger.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    Drop mag, rack to eject, coolly catch the ejected round, point the pistol in a safe direction and pull the trigger.
    You haven't been to the local Public range here,They do exactly the opposite of your statement ! Another self inflicted gunshot wound this weekend at the range !

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Ten times racked is ten times more dramatic for Hollywood directors.

Noah
    This is probably the real reason.

Hollywood dramatics. Just like the victim flying backwards through the air after being shot.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    Star Trek or kpop vids??

Three times for me with visual inspection. But I have an OCD and do most things 3 times.
    Three is an odd number. Why not four. Nice even number, and also a square of 2. You're not really OCD, are you?
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast