Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: How many times do you rack the slide before being confident it’s not loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I was speaking generally...
    For me personally it's Kpop all day every day
    Now THERE is a surprise!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Default Re: How many times do you rack the slide before being confident it’s not loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Sounds like you upgraded to audibly inspecting the chamber. Too operator for me.
    Nahhh I just look down the bore like a telescope.

(Washington County)

I drop the magazine and rack 3 times. Always the same procedure, not 2 times, not 4 times, but 3 times. Not sure where I picked this up from but been doing it for years.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Once.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Butler County)

<sarchasm> I rack it at least 35 times. Just in case on of those evil extended capacity magazines jumped in there. </sarcasm>

(Clinton County)

I just aim it out the nearest window and pull the trigger until I'm confident it's unloaded.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

10 times seems like OCD, but 2 or 3 times effectively eliminates an actual source of ND's.

There was a case locally, a woman bought a pistol and put it in her nightstand. Her idiot daughter invited 2 idiot friends over (a boy and another girl), and they got the gun and played with it. The boy dropped the mag while saying "I know all about guns" before pulling the trigger and negligently shooting the other girl in the face. Racking once would have been wise. (The girl's family sued THE GUNSHOP that sold the mother the gun, and WON. Philadelphia juries are insane.)

Other instances have been people who racked the slide once, saw that the chamber was empty (or at least nothing ejected), then they pulled the trigger and shot someone negligently. Yep, the gun was initially unchambered, but racking the slide once to check, actually chambered a round. Racking twice would have prevented that. So would checking for a magazine.

Racking 3 times just bumps the odds slightly to the better over twice, because it's possible to rack a bolt without extracting the chambered round, if the extractor is bad. The odds against that happening 3 times are lower than it happening once, or twice.

I think in practice I go 2X, while visually looking into the chamber and also being sure to remove the mag first.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lancaster County)

I always rack my revolvers at least 6 times.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    10 times seems like OCD, but 2 or 3 times effectively eliminates an actual source of ND's.

There was a case locally, a woman bought a pistol and put it in her nightstand. Her idiot daughter invited 2 idiot friends over (a boy and another girl), and they got the gun and played with it. The boy dropped the mag while saying "I know all about guns" before pulling the trigger and negligently shooting the other girl in the face. Racking once would have been wise. (The girl's family sued THE GUNSHOP that sold the mother the gun, and WON. Philadelphia juries are insane.)

Other instances have been people who racked the slide once, saw that the chamber was empty (or at least nothing ejected), then they pulled the trigger and shot someone negligently. Yep, the gun was initially unchambered, but racking the slide once to check, actually chambered a round. Racking twice would have prevented that. So would checking for a magazine.

Racking 3 times just bumps the odds slightly to the better over twice, because it's possible to rack a bolt without extracting the chambered round, if the extractor is bad. The odds against that happening 3 times are lower than it happening once, or twice.

I think in practice I go 2X, while visually looking into the chamber and also being sure to remove the mag first.

I can't even begin to understand how that's legal.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Drop mag.
    Rack 3 times.
    Lock open.
    Visual inspection,
    Finger inspection.
    Just to answer the OP, all kidding aside, what I wrote above is the standard for LEO training.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast