Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default New to me Colt Python thoughts after two weeks.

It was about two weeks since I posted a few pictures of a new to me Python.

It was manufactured in 1969 and is supposedly all original. I have my suspicions about that. I brought it to three of my regular shops and everyone so far can't decide for sure on the bluing. The only reason to be suspicious is the fact that its so nice. Not a bad problem to have at all. The stocks also have a slight misalignment where they meet on the underside of the grip. A few guys said Colt was somewhat sloppy with the stocks, especially for their flagship revolver. They apparently brought in a cheaper hardwood from overseas and the grips went on after the hand fitting and polishing? I haven't researched this too much because again this is not a bad problem to have. At the end of the day I'm tickled to death to have found it at a fair price in the crazy inflated market these days.

I have had it out to the range on two occasions. About a hundred rounds went down the pipe on each trip. The long story made short is that I am very impressed with it. It wasn't sighted in for me at the beginning of the first trip but I shot a few cylinders through anyway just to marvel at my tight groups although they were far left and high. I usually need to adjust my rear blade further to the right than most shooters because I have left eye dominance but shoot with my right hand. Once I did that and lowered it a bit the center of the targets didn't stand a chance up to about fifty feet. The groups opened up at further distances but the gun itself wasn't to blame, the culprit was the shooter himself. The trigger and action were everything they are known for and made shooting it very natural and a true pleasure.

I recently asked the forum if Python owners felt they were worth their current value. Although most owners agreed that the market is running wild they also mostly agreed that there was something special about the gun. I realize that I still have many things to learn about my newest acquisition but so far I certainly agree that there is something special about the Colt Python.

If anyone is interested in watching a quick video of my particular Python here is a link to a YouTube video I put up. https://youtu.be/_1yDlBQMt90 Please feel free to let me know your feelings about whether or not the bluing is original.

Last edited by bripro; June 9th, 2019 at 01:59 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Default Re: New to me Colt Python thoughts after two weeks.

Not unusual for Colt Python stocks to be slightly misaligned. They were never numbered either.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    It was about two weeks since I posted a few pictures of a new to me Python.

It was manufactured in 1969 and is supposedly all original. I have my suspicions about that. I brought it to three of my regular shops and everyone so far can't decide for sure on the bluing. The only reason to be suspicious is the fact that its so nice. Not a bad problem to have at all. The stocks also have a slight misalignment where they meet on the underside of the grip. A few guys said Colt was somewhat sloppy with the stocks, especially for their flagship revolver. They apparently brought in a cheaper hardwood from overseas and the grips went on after the hand fitting and polishing? I haven't researched this too much because again this is not a bad problem to have. At the end of the day I'm tickled to death to have found it at a fair price in the crazy inflated market these days.

I have had it out to the range on two occasions. About a hundred rounds went down the pipe on each trip. The long story made short is that I am very impressed with it. It wasn't sighted in for me at the beginning of the first trip but I shot a few cylinders through anyway just to marvel at my tight groups although they were far left and high. I usually need to adjust my rear blade further to the right than most shooters because I have left eye dominance but shoot with my right hand. Once I did that and lowered it a bit the center of the targets didn't stand a chance up to about fifty feet. The groups opened up at further distances but the gun itself wasn't to blame, the culprit was the shooter himself. The trigger and action were everything they are known for and made shooting it very natural and a true pleasure.

I recently asked the forum if Python owners felt they were worth their current value. Although most owners agreed that the market is running wild they also mostly agreed that there was something special about the gun. I realize that I still have many things to learn about my newest acquisition but so far I certainly agree that there is something special about the Colt Python.

If anyone is interested in watching a quick video of my particular Python here is a link to a YouTube video I put up. https://youtu.be/_1yDlBQMt90 Please feel free to let me know your feelings about whether or not the bluing is original.

Bripro, looks good to me and thanks for posting such a nice example of what I consider a work of art.

Best Regards,

Kobsw

Beautiful gun - even a S&W afficionado like myself can appreciate the beauty of a Python. I think those that are saying it may be a reblue are just "sour-grapeing" you. The Colt Royal Blue is what they were known for. Very nice display case also.

Adios,

Pizza BOb
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Beautiful gun - even a S&W afficionado like myself can appreciate the beauty of a Python. I think those that are saying it may be a reblue are just "sour-grapeing" you. The Colt Royal Blue is what they were known for. Very nice display case also.

Adios,

Pizza BOb
    It is also very hard to replicate. Nice find.

(Lancaster County)

Thank you everybody, I also posted this thread on some of the other forums I check in on and the majority of people tend to think it’s more than likely truly original. As with my other hard to find the pieces the intention is to someday pass them on to my kids so I’m not worried about representing it correctly for resale. I love it regardless and it is in my opinion that unless you bought a particular gun brand new yourself you truly can’t tell the next guy it’s exact history anyway. Brian
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Philadelphia County)

Beautiful revolver. Nice box too! Did it come with the box or did you make that?

(Blair County)

They were known for their bluing, If it looks too good, Id say its original. I had a King Cobra that looked like it was coated in glass the bluing was so shiny almost like it had a depth to it.

(Jefferson County)

The grips look right to me. Mine weren't exact either.

The bluing has the right color for sure. As mentioned in the post above, if it looks too good, it is probably original. It takes exceptionally experienced smiths to match the Royal Blue finish. Turnbull is one of them, probably about a handful of others that can as well.

Colt's Royal Blue treatment produced some of the finest bluing ever. They got it by highly polishing the steel prior to treatment and consistent temperature/timed hot bluing salt baths. Temperatures effect the color/tone.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Snakes have been known to multiply in gunsafes!

P1010004_03.JPG
    I don't speak English , I talk American!