Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Question Buying 1st o/u skeet gun

I am going to buy my first skeet gun and so far have narrowed it down to a browning citori cxs or a Beretta silver pigeon I sporting. Any one have advise on one vs the other? Any other brands / models I should consider? Currently I a shooting a Mossberg 930 and having fun, now want to get good lol.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Buying 1st o/u skeet gun

I've always preferred Beretta shotguns over the Browning guns. There are those that complete fan boys of the Browning but to me the Beretta is has a higher quality fit and finish in the price range you're looking at. You need to go and handle one and put it up to your shoulder and see what fits you better because someone will be along soon to tell you how much better the Browning is. Fit is the main thing for successful shooting with a shotgun.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Beaver County)

This is just the Chevy vs Dodge vs Ford question. JenniferG summed it up perfectly. Go see what fits best.

I currently own the Browning CXS. But I wouldn’t say it’s better than a Beretta. I just got a really good deal on it and it fit me good enough.

Also check out the Browning Cynergy, Beretta 686, and Benelli 828. If you don’t mind used Caesar Guerini would fall in that price range.
    Last edited by spartakis252; June 7th, 2019 at 07:06 PM.

(Washington County)

My first O/U was a 686 Silver Pigeon I and have never regretted it. It's still my favorite O/U for trap, skeet, and sporting clay. It's only one of two guns that I know I will never sell.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Beaver County)

It what fits you. Make sure your comfortable. And dont overlook the CZ Redheads. They make a nice O/U for under 1k.

I own the I'll famed FN SC1. Wouldn't trade it for the world even with its built in flaws.

But if I were to buy another the CXS get the nod.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

In clays, most people can break 16 birds using virtually any shotgun. Some can even break 20. Simply throwing money at a higher end gun will not magically have you adveraging 24-25 birds in a round. There is an old saying that I find holds true in most shooting sports "it's not the bow, it's the Indian".

If we're talking specifically about Skeet (in my opinion a harder clay sport than trap) it requires instruction and a lot of practice to get better. Simply buying a more expensive shotgun won't do it.

Clays can be expensive sport to get into. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many people started in clays and liked it, bought a $2k shotgun in hoped they would break more birds and found out that wasn't the solution and got discouraged and quit clays with a year. I've seen guys who shoot $3-5K shotguns and can break 24 birds a round consitantly then go out and buy a $20K shotgun to try and get that last bird and can't figure out why it didn't help.
    I've seen guys start out with field guns typically breaking 16 birds a round go out and buy a $2-3K gun have an adjustable butt plate and comb added (another $500) and still only adverage 16 birds a round.

I can't tell you what to do or what to spend your money on. I'm just adding some experiences to make you think a little deeper. My advice would be to stick with your current shotgun and take lessons, if you improve, then think about your first clay gun (a second hand one $1-2K), then if you stick with the sport over the next 2 years and continue to improve, then I'd consider spending $3-5K on one of the "B" shotguns.
    Last edited by Hawk; June 8th, 2019 at 08:06 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Mercer County)

I am not throwing money at better gun thinking it will give more hits, want o/u to learn on. I don't really care if I hit 10 or all 25, just want to have fun, and seems like as good a reason as any to add another gun to the collection.

(Beaver County)

I’m one of those guys who went from a Remington 870 to a Browning Citori CXS (with an adjustable comb) and my 16 yard average went from 18-20 to consistent 23-24s with an occasional 25.

Get a gun that fits and chokes appropriate for your application and you will do better.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rellisonii View Post
    I am not throwing money at better gun thinking it will give more hits, want o/u to learn on. I don't really care if I hit 10 or all 25, just want to have fun, and seems like as good a reason as any to add another gun to the collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by rellisonii View Post
    Currently I a shooting a Mossberg 930 and having fun, now want to get good lol.

487d5aebeba4d2db9210900b1c011226.jpg

Last edited by Hawk; June 9th, 2019 at 08:18 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by spartakis252 View Post
    I’m one of those guys who went from a Remington 870 to a Browning Citori CXS (with an adjustable comb) and my 16 yard average went from 18-20 to consistent 23-24s with an occasional 25.

Get a gun that fits and chokes appropriate for your application and you will do better.
    Yeah but it's not because the Citori is a better gun. It's because the Citori is a better fitting gun for you. You can make most field shotguns fit better with inexpensive off the shelf parts. You don't need to buy a new gun to get that (though, who can turn down an excuse for another gun?).

I've always found it funny that some people consider a hunting gun inappropriate for games that were invented to simulate hunting.

(which I should add there are good reasons to own a purpose designed gun for skeet or trap or whatever clay game you like. They'll hold up better to high volume shooting, and it can certainly help a good shooter reach his full potential.)
    Last edited by TooBigToFit; June 9th, 2019 at 10:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast