Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default Re: Question regarding PGC summary citation issued at SGL 183

Phil,

I remember Spiro Agnew pleading no - contest

http://www.nolocontendere.org/historyofnolo.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/10/11/a...lea-of-no.html

Is it possible to plead no-contest vs guilty?
    Would that have any benefit?

I have scratched out the guilty option on some mail-in tickets before and hand-written "no contest".
    The checks were always cashed
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Phil,

I remember Spiro Agnew pleading no - contest

http://www.nolocontendere.org/historyofnolo.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/10/11/a...lea-of-no.html

Is it possible to plead no-contest vs guilty?
    Would that have any benefit?

I have scratched out the guilty option on some mail-in tickets before and hand-written "no contest".
    The checks were always cashed
    I was very tempted to do what you just described; scratch out guilty and replace with nolo contendere. I didn't though because I was worried they wouldn't accept it and issue a warrant for my arrest.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonyHermit View Post
    He fined you because he knows that as a PA resident you will pay the fine. They gotta justify their jobs and make money for the PGC. The out of state folks would just trashcan the fine and laugh all the way back to NY/NJ.
    My thought too on first reading.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    In my opinion, the WCO was being nit picky. Unless you just want to pay $200, I'd take a hearing with the local magistrate. Explain what you were doing and see what happens. You might get lucky and have the charge dismissed. You can't be found more guilty be taking the hearing.

Yes, the law says you cannot shoot at anything other than a paper target on the backer, but sheesh.....that's really being anal. Unless he saw you shooting the target frame or something along those lines.
    I agree .....and then he let the out of towners slide......... the game comm is at a point when they have brought a lot of things upon themselves ............. you'd think they would want to start making repairs ......................... but it's still us vs them type of thing.

(Luzerne County)

I only shoot at the SGL ranges in the fall, getting my guns ready for hunting season. I've been at the range and a guy will pull up, walk to the range and pop off some rounds downrange. To me, it looks like he is just function testing a firearm. Maybe it's one he worked on or one he is going to buy and wants to make sure it works. As long as it's pointed down range...eh, I don't see the issue. But, the PGC being what it is.....ugh!

Go back. Put up a paper target and spend an hour shooting all the wood on purpose. Why should he be able to ask for your NFA paperwork? I also don't remember how a rate of fire limitation at the State range. What pisses me off is they write citations for nonsense but do nothing about unsafe behavior. They are more worried about getting money than people getting shot by idiots.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Monroe County)

No paper target up, OK there's the dumbest thing I've heard someone getting cited for. I'd fight it. Shit I go to the local range to check fire shit all the time. I don't put up a target to see if it goes bang.

As for eating it, I got a over mag limit ticket back when then rules came out, Didn't effect dick. Clearance, LTCF/FFL what ever.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    In my opinion, the WCO was being nit picky. Unless you just want to pay $200, I'd take a hearing with the local magistrate. Explain what you were doing and see what happens. You might get lucky and have the charge dismissed. You can't be found more guilty be taking the hearing.

Yes, the law says you cannot shoot at anything other than a paper target on the backer, but sheesh.....that's really being anal. Unless he saw you shooting the target frame or something along those lines.
    I would also take this route. Just plea for some leniency. The fine may get dismissed or reduced. It's worth a shot.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Go back. Put up a paper target and spend an hour shooting all the wood on purpose. Why should he be able to ask for your NFA paperwork? I also don't remember how a rate of fire limitation at the State range. What pisses me off is they write citations for nonsense but do nothing about unsafe behavior. They are more worried about getting money than people getting shot by idiots.
    Some people do, which leads to the closure of ranges and unusable ranges because the PGC won't continue to waste money on shitheads.

At the range we used on 944 in Cumberland County-an LEO only range-there were still idiots we'd find on the range that walked passed all of the "No Trespassing" signs after parking at the gate. There was also vandalism on a regular basis with people shooting up the backer frames, the storage building and shooting holes in the pavilion roof.

I'd say they're more worried about trying to maintain a usable facility.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lancaster County)

To keep it in perspective this was at the SGL183 range AKA the Route 6 range......closest range to NY. Do a search in the Pike Co. threads for some backstory.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast