Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SEPA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Age
    72
    Posts
    592
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: On Pistol Sights...

    Although I practice regularly, I don't compete. My pistols are strictly for self defense so pie plate accuracy at 10-15 feet is the most I ever expect to need.
    Both the front and rear sights on my 365 are bright white for ease and speed of target acquisition.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the can, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    2,581
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: On Pistol Sights...

    Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    If you have no gap, how do you know the sights are aligned?

    Gaps do work better for older eyes; 30-40 yrs ago I didn't need no steenking gaps. Something happened since then.

    Noah
    Rep owed on your first post, really good overview.

    My eyes are also not what they used to be, and I need to wear readers to crisp my front sight.
    But it occurred to me that in a self defense shoot I will not have time to grab my readers.
    So I do my draw/fire drills without them to best simulate my own true fuzzy sight street conditions.
    When my eyes get worse and I need glasses all the time I will switch to wearing them when I train.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SEPA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Age
    72
    Posts
    592
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: On Pistol Sights...

    Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Rep owed on your first post, really good overview.

    My eyes are also not what they used to be, and I need to wear readers to crisp my front sight.
    But it occurred to me that in a self defense shoot I will not have time to grab my readers.
    So I do my draw/fire drills without them to best simulate my own true fuzzy sight street conditions.
    When my eyes get worse and I need glasses all the time I will switch to wearing them when I train.
    Exactly why I went to large white bright sights. And the paint is available cheap at craft stores.
    Cheap being key, so some of the members here can updates their wardrobes.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chalfont, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    1,732
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: On Pistol Sights...

    For bullseye work focus on the front sight, pay attention to making the gap perfect as you apply pressure to the trigger. Use a 6:00 hold so you can easily center the bullseye.
    If you try bullseye work by lining up whatever "dot" system you have, precision will not happen.

    The various dots, bars, Etc. (obviously) are for faster acquisition at the expense of accuracy. I improved range scores at my agency when I started blacking out the dots on the copper's pistols.
    they were trying to line up the dots and completely missing the target at 50 meters.
    Many of them didn't know how to employ standard black iron sights or were so sloppy in the sight picture they had trouble qualifying.

    Blacking out the dots was a start back to fundamentals. Scores much improved after that. Really good accuracy and speed work can be done with plain black iron sights with a gap if you practice.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: On Pistol Sights...

    Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    If you have no gap, how do you know the sights are aligned?

    Gaps do work better for older eyes; 30-40 yrs ago I didn't need no steenking gaps. Something happened since then.

    Noah
    If there is no gap and the sights are misaligned a gap would appear on one side.
    Sorry but I'm all out of pity right now, please try later.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Penn area, Pennsylvania
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,134
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: On Pistol Sights...

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    If there is no gap and the sights are misaligned a gap would appear on one side.
    Your eye focus is the same as everyone else?
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: On Pistol Sights...

    Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Your eye focus is the same as everyone else?
    I doubt that but you are losing me. Hold your hands out in front of your face, one extended much farther than the other and place one finger on the extended hand between two fingers on the closer hand and close the two fingers until they leave no gap for the front finger, like sights on a gun. Then move either your head or the single finger to one side or the other and you will see a gap appear on one side of that finger, indicating that they are not lined up.
    Sorry but I'm all out of pity right now, please try later.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Chalfont, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    1,732
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: On Pistol Sights...

    If no gap worked well (it doesn't) we would have been using it for the last 200 years or so.
    I have experimented with custom width front sights before, mostly narrowing .140s or 125s for customers but on occasion using wide fronts to close in the gap.

    It is too difficult for your eye to pick up a slight sliver of light in a front site too wide.
    It's even too slow for the NRA bullseye game.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,745
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: On Pistol Sights...

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I doubt that but you are losing me. Hold your hands out in front of your face, one extended much farther than the other and place one finger on the extended hand between two fingers on the closer hand and close the two fingers until they leave no gap for the front finger, like sights on a gun. Then move either your head or the single finger to one side or the other and you will see a gap appear on one side of that finger, indicating that they are not lined up.
    Now, without moving your hands, add a 2nd finger to the front sight post. See how far out of alignment you can get before you see a gap. This is what some folks are suggesting as a problem.

    If *your* sights on *your* gun line up perfectly with no gap *only* when they are perfectly aligned - sure, you'll get a gap if you're off. If someone with shorter arms and a more forward head position shoots your gun, there will be a spread of positions where there is no gap in the sights, potentially from "missing the target left" to "missing the target right"

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Marple Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: On Pistol Sights...

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I have an observation, something I'm sure all have seen but I question its existence...Why are there gaps between the front post and the uprights on the rear sights? Way back when I was on the rifle team in high school the peep sights were sized to eliminate all white in the front sight when the target was properly acquired. So why aren't pistol sights that way? Why is it left to our perception as to whether the front post is centered or not?
    Faster target acquisition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. AR Pistol Iron Sights
    By PA1936MN in forum Optics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 28th, 2016, 02:29 PM
  2. After Market Pistol Sights ??
    By SgtRick417 in forum Gunsmithing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 16th, 2016, 10:17 PM
  3. Pistol sights regulated to WHAT???
    By Flash in forum Pistols
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 10th, 2012, 08:26 AM
  4. adjusting pistol sights?
    By original gunner in forum General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 28th, 2008, 01:08 PM
  5. How to adjust Pistol sights
    By FireGS in forum General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2008, 07:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops