Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Sportsman Permit

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    There is no exact text. The SP is an exception to 6106. Without specific language stating the firearm has to be unloaded it is therefore lawful to have it loaded, IMO.
    A retired WCO in Hunting PA spoke about this a few years ago responding to a poster who pontificated that with an SP you couldn't conceal the firearm or drive with a loaded firearm. He stated that it was not illegal to conceal it with one's hunting coat and could drive with it loaded. Still there is mis-understanding on this.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    A retired WCO in Hunting PA spoke about this a few years ago responding to a poster who pontificated that with an SP you couldn't conceal the firearm or drive with a loaded firearm. He stated that it was not illegal to conceal it with one's hunting coat and could drive with it loaded. Still there is mis-understanding on this.
    Wiz bang, I'm curious, was that R.S.B. or R.W.J. that made that comment?
    The Lord Bless You

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    Exactly. Those are the "exceptions" allowed with the SP. If those were not allowed, then what "exceptions" would the SP be addressing??

In the exceptions listed under 6106, the ones were the firearm must be unloaded are clearly stated. If it does not say unloaded, then that means the firearm can be carry loaded.

PSP doesn't state or cite any law for their "opinion", they just say....you can't do that with the SP. :/

(Carbon County)

Things change. Years ago I went to the Lehigh County court house to get a Sportsman Permit. I was told that I had to physically show the handgun so they could record the serial number and do the same with all I intended to use hunting with the permit. I see that the regulations now say "Any legal" gun.

(Luzerne County)

Yes, many, many years ago I remember having to take my firearm to the court house too.

Remember, the SP is covered in the crimes code Title 18......and deals with transport and concealment. The SP is not mentioned at all in any game law; I think Title 34 and 58.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Yes, many, many years ago I remember having to take my firearm to the court house too.

Remember, the SP is covered in the crimes code Title 18......and deals with transport and concealment. The SP is not mentioned at all in any game law; I think Title 34 and 58.
    My father's permit has the serial number though when he got his [1952] he had just mustered out of the Marines with security clearance [white house in dress blues] so the county added "or any other gun"; something they didn't do often...

(Jefferson County)

The Sportsmans Permit is sorta a limited Concealed/Vehicle license. The SP exempts you of the prohibition on carrying concealed and transporting to, from, and during hunting/fishing/trapping/dog training.

It is not needed while hunting unless you conceal the firearm or transport it in a vehicle. While it is not "concealed handgun permit"(so to speak), it does allow you to conceal the firearm during sporting activities, and direct trips to/from said locations.

6106 only prohibits concealment and vehicle transporting of a firearm. The SP is an exemption for the sporting purposes. Nothing in law or regulation requires you to carry openly with a SP, because carrying openly doesn't require a license/permit. The purpose of the permit is for exemption from 18.61.6106.

Example: If you walk out your front door and hunt on your lands, or walk to neighboring lands, and carry the handgun openly while hunting - no SP or LTCF is required.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123