Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: Sportsman Permit

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    The SP is a revenue generator and nothing more. It gives you safe harbor to transport a loaded handgun (which is lawful to take game) to and from and during hunting/fishing activities. It's issued by the county treasurer with no background check, so it serves no purpose other than to generate money.

It may be idiotic, but we don't require fingerprints, or 90 days to issues a LTCF.
    What do you mean by transport? In a vehicle it must still be unloaded per Title 34 and 18. Only a LTCF permits loaded firearms in a vehicle. Title 18 permits transport of unloaded firearms from place of purchase to residence, and residence to ranges or for legal hunting. I still do not understand the need for the SP due to Title 18, except for revenue as you stated. However, Title 34 reads like you are not allowed to hunt with a handgun unless you ask for permission (either with LTCF or SP).
    Last edited by Hersh5317; June 3rd, 2019 at 01:15 PM.
    Most of being smart is knowing what you are dumb at.

Quote Originally Posted by Hersh5317 View Post
    What do you mean by transport? In a vehicle it must still be unloaded per Title 34 and 18. Only a LTCF permits loaded firearms in a vehicle. Title 18 permits transport of unloaded firearms from place of purchase to residence, and residence to ranges or for legal hunting. I still do not understand the need for the SP due to Title 18, except for revenue as you stated. However, Title 34 reads like you are not allowed to hunt with a handgun unless you ask for permission (either with LTCF or SP).
    IIRC a SP is an exception to 6106, firearms not to be carried without a license. FWIR a SP allows the concealed and loaded carry of a handgun which is lawful for the stated purpose along with the appropriate hunting, fishing, ete, etc, license directly to and from and during that activity.

ETA: do a forum search for sportsmen's permit. There are a couple informative threads.
    Last edited by God's Country; June 3rd, 2019 at 01:26 PM.

(Juniata County)

6106(b)(9)**Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such license, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.

6106(c)**Sportsman's firearm permit.--

(1)**Before any exception shall be granted under paragraph (b)(9) or (10) of this section to any person 18 years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking or fishing license or any time after such license has been issued, secure a sportsman's firearm permit from the county treasurer. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any legal firearm, when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license or permit relating to hunting dogs. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be in triplicate on a form to be furnished by the Pennsylvania State Police. The original permit shall be delivered to the person, and the first copy thereof, within seven days, shall be forwarded to the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police by the county treasurer. The second copy shall be retained by the county treasurer for a period of two years from the date of expiration. The county treasurer shall be entitled to collect a fee of not more than $6 for each such permit issued, which shall include the cost of any official form. The Pennsylvania State Police may recover from the county treasurer the cost of any such form, but may not charge more than $1 for each official permit form furnished to the county treasurer.

6102 "Firearm."**Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

By reading this a handgun with a barrel longer than 15" is exempt from the SP requirement. So in my case with a Contender, I would be good without a SP so long as the barrel is over that arbitrary measurement? I guess that since I may just end up getting rid of the handgun barrels and go 16"+ on all of them, it may be pointless to get an answer. Appreciate the info GC. I will keep looking into it offline.

(Lycoming County)

6106(b)(9)**Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such license, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.

6106(c)**Sportsman's firearm permit.--

(1)**Before any exception shall be granted under paragraph (b)(9) or (10) of this section to any person 18 years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking or fishing license or any time after such license has been issued, secure a sportsman's firearm permit from the county treasurer. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any legal firearm, when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license or permit relating to hunting dogs. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be in triplicate on a form to be furnished by the Pennsylvania State Police. The original permit shall be delivered to the person, and the first copy thereof, within seven days, shall be forwarded to the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police by the county treasurer. The second copy shall be retained by the county treasurer for a period of two years from the date of expiration. The county treasurer shall be entitled to collect a fee of not more than $6 for each such permit issued, which shall include the cost of any official form. The Pennsylvania State Police may recover from the county treasurer the cost of any such form, but may not charge more than $1 for each official permit form furnished to the county treasurer.

6102 "Firearm."**Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

By reading this a handgun with a barrel longer than 15" is exempt from the SP requirement. So in my case with a Contender, I would be good without a SP so long as the barrel is over that arbitrary measurement? I guess that since I may just end up getting rid of the handgun barrels and go 16"+ on all of them, it may be pointless to get an answer. Appreciate the info GC. I will keep looking into it offline.
    If you're going to get a ltcf anyway like you said in a previous post, it's a moot issue.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    If you're going to get a ltcf anyway like you said in a previous post, it's a moot issue.
    Except that it is a draconian law that limits options for people, which may be a moot point if PA goes Constitutional Carry.

(Bucks County)

Sportsmans permits are useful if you are from out of state and want to handgun hunt in Pa. Had one for a few years when I was living in Delaware.

(Lycoming County)

Except that it is a draconian law that limits options for people, which may be a moot point if PA goes Constitutional Carry.
    I wouldn't hold my breath. I hope we do at some point, but it doesn't seem to get the support here as it has in other states. Probably because the PA ltcf is pretty cheap and easy to get.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    IIRC a SP is an exception to 6106, firearms not to be carried without a license. FWIR a SP allows the concealed and loaded carry of a handgun which is lawful for the stated purpose along with the appropriate hunting, fishing, ete, etc, license directly to and from and during that activity.

ETA: do a forum search for sportsmen's permit. There are a couple informative threads.
    I read several articles on this, including the SP firearms information page. None say you can carry loaded in a vehicle with a Sportsman's permit.

Perhaps you can quote the text that says you are allowed to do this.

https://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-info...nsylvania.aspx

(Luzerne County)

The issue with the SP and carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle is a hot topic.

The SP is an "exception" to needing a LTCF in order to carry a loaded firearm concealed or in a vehicle. When you read the law, no where in the section for the SP does it say anything about the firearm being unloaded when in transport. The exception for the SP is the same exception for LE, that is not needing a LTCF in order to carry concealed or in a vehicle. In the section for the SP, it says going to or coming from places the person wants to hunt. To me, this means driving to or from wherever they want to hunt especially when 6106 specifically states, "concealed on or about ones person or in any vehicle".

The FAQ from PSP does not address this issue, it merely states it is not allowed with the SP. Remember, the SP is an "exception"......!!!!! In all other exceptions allowed under 6106(b), they clearly state when a firearm must be carried "unloaded". In the exceptions for hunting, fishing and trapping (b)(9), (10), there is no mention of "unloaded" nor is there any mention of it under (c) Sportsman's Permit.

In essence, the SP is like a LTCF-lite........actually hunting, fishing trapping, going to or coming from those places, whereas a full LTCF lets you do those things in more places/times.

But, until someone wants to really push the issue, your best bet is to leave it unloaded unless you have the LTCF.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; June 4th, 2019 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    I read several articles on this, including the SP firearms information page. None say you can carry loaded in a vehicle with a Sportsman's permit.

Perhaps you can quote the text that says you are allowed to do this.

https://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-info...nsylvania.aspx
    There is no exact text. The SP is an exception to 6106. Without specific language stating the firearm has to be unloaded it is therefore lawful to have it loaded, IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast