Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default ca sheriff takes away gun permits!..

Hundreds of letters have been sent out advising current permit holders of impending revocation.

BY NORBERTO SANTANA JR.
    The Orange County Register
    Comments 62| Recommend 16

The Sheriff's Department has begun the process of revoking hundreds of concealed weapon permits across Orange County.

This week, department officials confirmed that 146 letters have been sent out advising current license holders that their permits to carry firearms in public – called CCWs – are being revoked. There are currently 1,024 permit holders.

"The Department has determined that your identified risk does not meet the good cause threshold as required under the new CCW policy based upon the information you provided. As a result of this determination, the Department's present intention is to revoke your CCW license," reads the form letter sent out this month.

The letter, sent out under the signature of Captain Dave Nighswonger, advises current holders that if they feel that additional information should be considered they have roughly one month to provide additional good cause information for the department to consider before the revocation becomes final.

This week, county supervisors grilled Sheriff Sandra Hutchens during her 120-day update on the reorganization of the agency about the status of the concealed weapons review.

Hutchens acknowledged to supervisors that she had indeed tightened requirements for the permits but highlighted the fact that no current license had yet been revoked.

But it seems unlikely that those who are getting the letters won't be revoked.

"Most of them are not coming back with the information we need," said Nighswonger. "A lot of them are arguing the second amendment (to the U.S. Constitution)," he said.

Nighswonger said many of the current revocations listed their reason for having a concealed gun as "avid shooter."

That no longer qualifies under Hutchen's new standards.

Under state law, a Sheriff has discretion to issue concealed weapons permits. And under the administration of former Sheriff Mike Carona – whose federal corruption trial starts on Oct. 28 – guidelines for issuing concealed weapons permits were loosened.

Records reviewed by the Orange County Register show that concealed weapon permits soared under Carona, from 38 in 1998 to 468 the next year. By 2006, it was up to 1,400, a four-fold increase.

When Carona took over in 1998, Orange County ranked 34th in terms of the numbers of permits granted. By 2006, Orange County was ranked number nine.

However, the Register also found numerous instances where campaign donors received the permits. A Register analysis of Carona campaign contributions from 1996 to the end of 2001 shows that at least 95 contributors – who gave at least $68,000 - got licenses.

Indeed, the federal indictment against Carona details one specific instance where a wealthy contributor was granted a license under questionable circumstances.

Hutchens has said that connection prompted her to review the policies and tighten the standards.

Her revisions, and the revocation letters, have enraged gun activists who are pressing county supervisors to take action.

"There's a lot of business owners and a lot of gun owners that have had CCWs that have never met Mike Carona or contributed," said Greg Block, a Huntington Beach-based firearms instructor and activist.

He and many activists suggest a different standard: "If you are not a convicted felon, you should be able to get able to get a CCW in California," Block said.

My Name is GlockMan And I Approve This Message!!

(Chester County)

Default Re: ca sheriff takes away gun permits!..

I completely understand the idea of taking a look at the requirements and making sure they are being followed appropriately. No one wants criminals or those who have proven instabilities to carry guns. However taking away a CCW because they are "avid shooters"? I don't agree with that. I believe there was another thread recently that addressed what checkbox people put in the application, with self defense being the smartest entry there. But the point is, if you have no criminal record and no proven mental problems, getting a LTCF should be just fine, no matter where you are. I don't know CA's specific laws or anything, but in a perfect world lol.

This sounds to me like this woman has got some sort of agenda. The article reads that the skyrocketing number of licences issued was a bad thing? Very scary to hear that you could one day receive a letter that essentially takes some of your rights away.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by stinkymcdoober View Post
    very scary to hear that you could one day receive a letter that essentially takes some of your rights away.
    yes i agree..on my Ltcf it says for protection under the reason for having part.i checked 2 answers on my application.1. self defense 2. range

My Name is GlockMan And I Approve This Message!!

Stinky, while I am sure your heart is in the right place, this ; ...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed., doesn't mesh real well with
    I completely understand the idea of taking a look at the requirements and making sure they are being followed appropriately.

Any time you let a governement agency make the rules, they are always gonna make em so it is easiest on them to enforce them, not so that everyone gets a fair shake.

That's why you have kindergartners getting sent home for having a plastic knife to spread mayo on her sammich.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

It's bullshit.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    Stinky, while I am sure your heart is in the right place, this ; ...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed., doesn't mesh real well with

Any time you let a governement agency make the rules, they are always gonna make em so it is easiest on them to enforce them, not so that everyone gets a fair shake.

That's why you have kindergartners getting sent home for having a plastic knife to spread mayo on her sammich.

Agreed, if you are a free man then you should be able to own and carry whatever weapon you choose. If you can't be trusted with that responsibility then you should not be a free man, it's really that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    It's bullshit.
    No, its California .... the center of communist power in the US

(Philadelphia County)

Angry Doesn't surprise me a bit

Ah, yes, my sweet home state of Cali.

Unless you are "in" with the people in charge (as this article shows), You will be expected to demonstrate a "reasonable justification" in order to carry in most cities in CA. Basically that means you have to provide documentation and evidence that your life is under an IMMINENT threat from a hostile person/persons.

Also, it is not like you provide the documents and then you are sweet for the next five years.... You have to continuously provide evidence, showing that your are still under threat at any time that the cops ask. I don't know the standards for time - I just know that if you are approved you can expect to be investigated ~ once a month, and certainly more often than that during the initial first month. This is, of course, subjective to which Sheriff you are dealing with. I had heard that little country towns in North East Cali, and out in the Desert in Central and SoCal were far easier, almost like being in PA. But in the Cities....just think Philly and you get the drift of the cop's attitude towards wanting their citizens to carry.

A former co-worker of mine was involved in a shooting in his apartment complex in SoCal. As he related it to me (so take that for what it is worth): he hears screaming, grabs his 9mm and runs down stairs, sees a man beating a woman with a weapon (tire iron or The Club IIRC), blood all over the place, he orders the man to stop - man's two buddies get aggressive with knives, he shoots the man to stop the attack. The man dies at hospital, it was ruled a "Justifiable Homicide", which in Cali exempts you from any criminal or Civil recourse from families of those who were shot. Dead man was an Azerbaijani gangster. This statement is not politically incorrect of me - the fact is that my coworker now had the mans 4 brothers, plus all of his "Mafia" homies, threatening him, following him, bricks through the window, firebombed his car, followed his wife....you get the drift.

He applies for the Concealed Weapons license. In CA those are regulated @ the county level IIRC. He had to bring tape recordings, insurance reports, video of people following him. He was granted his license after much bickering. My coworker said that the real reason he felt it was granted had less to do with his need and more to do with the fact that he was a former Marine, as was the Sheriff doing the interview.

This has always stuck with me : he said something to the effect of :"It became more of a hassle to justify why I kept needing the CCW license than it was to look around for trouble and run from it."

Think about that.

The situation resolved itself - many of the man's friends started getting put up for serious time due to their "profession". Co-worker had a harder and harder time justifying possession as more and more of those threatening him went to the klink. He eventually just gave up and moved.

Thats what happens when your state doesn't have a RKBA protection built into it's Constitution. Cali's doesn't.

CA considers all of it's citizens equal. in reality:
    All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.....

See my sigline for how I feel about having to justify anything to LEOs concerning one of your rights.
    Last edited by OneLungMcClung; October 12th, 2008 at 02:59 PM.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Chester County)

Let me be completely clear here, because I feel maybe my words have been misunderstood a bit.

I'm not supporting further or additional regulation in any state regarding gun control, and controls over obtaining a LTCF. What i AM saying is that i understand that in order to keep guns OUT OF the bad guys' hands, there needs to be SOMETHING in place when one applies for a permit. I'm completely in agreement with someone stepping in and making sure the people who shouldn't have them (guns/permits to carry guns/etc.) dont get them. If done appropriately, which I also realize most of the time, correction, almostall the time doesn't happen.

Also, let's be realistic, you're right jerkin, if you can't be trusted then you shouldn't be free, but due to our current judicial system that just doesn't always happen. Ever heard of parole? Bad guys roam free right around you all day, someone has to make sure they don't get the same rights the free men/women you speak of have.

Bad guys roam free right around you all day, someone has to make sure they don't get the same rights the free men/women you speak of have.
    But that's the whole point Stinky, if they are deemed safe enough to be out of jail/prison, then souldn't they be deemed safe enough to hold all of their rights? They don't get to be afforded the right of self defense?

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Our founding fathers knew what the deal is, the 2A is really very simple and makes unconstitutional ANY type of registration, commonsense gun laws.

It is time we quit playing the increment game with the lefties. Every time we give into them, just a little, we are losing ground.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast