Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default First Slam Fire on a AR15!

Been shooting AR's and reloading .223 for over 10 years. Never believed a AR could slam fire. Two weeks ago had my first ever. I was sighting in a scope on a new mount. As always, for safeties sake, I had the rifle pointed at the target when I closed the bolt on a single loaded round (1 of 30 rounds fired from the same batch). Surprised the shit out of me.

After inspecting the spent casing it was obvious that the primer must of been seated too high. Funny thing, it was loaded in a Dillon 550B like the rest. However, it was a group of newly swaged (Dillon Super Swage 600) once fired military brass. I'm guessing it was either a shallow swage on that one case or I didn't push the handle hard enough forward on the press to seat the primer.

Anyways, here's a pic of the primer. Notice the center of the primer took the shape of the firing pin hole on the bolt.

IMG_3284.jpg
    Last edited by Hawk; May 30th, 2019 at 01:36 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: First Slam Fire on a AR15!

Very odd and rare occurrence. Glad the rest were loaded with flush primer depth.
    BTW. I have never seen a struck primer look quite like that. Doesn't show a firing pin strike. Just a hit from the bolt face?

Mysteries abound in this day and age.

Here … Hold my drink; and watch this.

(Bucks County)

I had that happen once on .223 primed and loaded on a 550b. I inspected the rest of the loaded cases and discovered about 1/4 of the primers were high. I shot them in my bolt action .223.

Since then, I do all my rifle case priming in bulk on a RCBS bench priming tool and inspect each case before finishing on the Dillon.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CleanDean View Post
    Just a hit from the bolt face?
    Yup.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    I had that happen once on .223 primed and loaded on a 550b. I inspected the rest of the loaded cases and discovered about 1/4 of the primers were high. I shot them in my bolt action .223.

Since then, I do all my rifle case priming in bulk on a RCBS bench priming tool and inspect each case before finishing on the Dillon.
    I've reloaded thousands of 223 on my 550B with out a hitch until this one. I'm leaning towards a shallow swage instead of the 550B primer seating. I don't typically pick up range brass and swage. After this event I dumped the entire batch of range pickup and went back to my supply of once fired processed (purchased) military brass.
    Toujours prêt

That's why I like my mesh brass catcher that covers the ejection port. I know it's my brass and can track how many times it has been used. I don't reload in bulk so I check each before the next step.

(Monroe County)

Wow, well at least you know what to look for.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Tioga County)

Every single round I load I check in a case gauge and at the same time I get to inspect the primer. Yes it's extra time but quality is assured.

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: First Slam Fire on a AR15!

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Every single round I load I check in a case gauge and at the same time I get to inspect the primer. Yes it's extra time but quality is assured.
    This is the key to really reliable reloads. I also used to do this when I was shooting competition and reloading was the only way I was going to afford it. While handling the round you can kind of pick out light/heavy ones to a degree as well.
    Last edited by gghbi; June 2nd, 2019 at 10:31 AM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est