Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: What makes an AR-15 an M-16?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Good answer, thanks for taking the time.

I understand the mechanics. I'm more asking about the legalities. Specifically, as long as I avoid the auto sear and its spring, what other parts can I have before I'm running afoul of the NFA?

I've seen video of a registered DIAS. It won't function unless the lower has the auto hammer, and (probably) the disconnect and the auto safety.
    My understanding that unless it was born a class III machine gun and registered as such, any legally converted later after the Hughes Amendment in 1986, the Auto Sear is the machine gun, much like a lower [I]is[/I the rifle. my 1974 Colt SP1 has everything M16 but the sear and two .125" holes, also the web in the lower is thicker on one size. I believe even possessing a sear is a felony

***EDIT*** Justin Hemi covered it all in the post above me, good work Justin!

(Bucks County)

Every new Colt I've seen in the last many years has come from the factory with a full auto bolt carrier but that is all.
    I have yet to find any full auto lower parts installed.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    My understanding that unless it was born a class III machine gun and registered as such, any legally converted later after the Hughes Amendment in 1986, the Auto Sear is the machine gun, much like a lower [I]is[/I the rifle. my 1974 Colt SP1 has everything M16 but the sear and two .125" holes, also the web in the lower is thicker on one size. I believe even possessing a sear is a felony

***EDIT*** Justin Hemi covered it all in the post above me, good work Justin!
    The sear isn't always the mg, a drop in auto sear (rdias) is a mg. But if they registered a standard sear it can become "married " to the host receiver since you would have to modify the lower to allow it to work. There is a bunch of stuff to look at before buying registered trigger packs/ auto sears, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Every new Colt I've seen in the last many years has come from the factory with a full auto bolt carrier but that is all.
    I have yet to find any full auto lower parts installed.
    There is information out there between Colt and the ATF about why the ATF said it was ok for Colt to do this and why Colt wanted to do it. Now most BCGs are FA. The ATF said similar things as previously posted.

Also, the M16 sear isn't a machine gun like the HK sear. There were DIASs that are, but you can buy M16 sears to your hearts content, they just don't do you any good without that third hole.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Erie County)

More novel approach, and rarer, lightning link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    More novel approach, and rarer, lightning link.
    There's a YouTube video called coathanger machinegun if your into that type of thing

(Delaware County)

All, OP here,

From a technical standpoint: I understand that the auto sear, in conjunction with the extra hook on the hammer, smooths out the auto action by keeping the hammer from following the BCG forward and potential light strikes. In other words, the disconnector and FA Safety alone *could* result in FA fire if the hammer spring allowed the hammer to strike the primer hard enough as it followed the BCG.

It would seem, then, that a lower that was meant as a host for a DIAS, might - might - by itself allow FA fire, and that a basic AR with no special parts may not function well as a host for a DIAS.

I don't want an M-16 that requires NFA paperwork and a second mortgage. I got my fill of FA when Uncle Sugar was paying to feed my ammo habit. I would own one if the world were all sunshine and rainbows, but...

I was just wondering how far I could go into the "I mentally like the feel of having the happy switch" before I got my @$$ in a sling.

If I get the urge again I will come back and read Justin's treatise.

Thanks.

(Bucks County)

The hook on top of the full auto hammer doesn't make the action smoother, it's purpose is to catch the hammer on the autosear and hold it there until the bolt carrier's timing edge strikes the autosear.
    This a timing feature that ensures that the gun will not fire until the bolt is locked.
    The hook on the hammer only comes into play when the selector is rotated to the auto or burst position.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    The hook on top of the full auto hammer doesn't make the action smoother, it's purpose is to catch the hammer on the autosear and hold it there until the bolt carrier's timing edge strikes the autosear.
    This a timing feature that ensures that the gun will not fire until the bolt is locked.
    The hook on the hammer only comes into play when the selector is rotated to the auto or burst position.
    Yes, and without the auto sear the hammer would just follow the BCG forward and *maybe* set off the round, which would not be very smooth functioning. My point being - it is *possible* for FA fire to happen without the auto sear, it just works much better with one, hence why one was included.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12