Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Cross-country trip with pistol, no Concealed Carry Permit

Hello, I recently received a pistol from my father as a gift for my 19th birthday. According to PA law, this is completely legal even with no paperwork filled out. I go to school in the south, and own an apartment there. I would like to bring my pistol with me, for the sole purpose of keeping it in my apartment for self-defense, as well as the occasional range trip; I have no intentions to open or conceal carry this pistol at this time. Being under the age of 21, I obviously am unable to get a PA (or any other state) Concealed carry permit. I know that, as an "underage" handgun owner, I am able to transport it as long as the gun and the ammo are stored separately in the vehicle.

My question is, if I were to drive to my apartment with the pistol and ammo stored as stated above, would I run into any possible legal issues in other states? I am mainly concerned with the fact that I am not the registered/official owner of the gun, and am under 21 y/o.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Cross-country trip with pistol, no Concealed Carry Permit

The first thing you best do is find out what the laws are at your destination.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrods View Post
    Hello, I recently received a pistol from my father as a gift for my 19th birthday. According to PA law, this is completely legal even with no paperwork filled out. I go to school in the south, and own an apartment there. I would like to bring my pistol with me, for the sole purpose of keeping it in my apartment for self-defense, as well as the occasional range trip; I have no intentions to open or conceal carry this pistol at this time. Being under the age of 21, I obviously am unable to get a PA (or any other state) Concealed carry permit. I know that, as an "underage" handgun owner, I am able to transport it as long as the gun and the ammo are stored separately in the vehicle.

My question is, if I were to drive to my apartment with the pistol and ammo stored as stated above, would I run into any possible legal issues in other states? I am mainly concerned with the fact that I am not the registered/official owner of the gun, and am under 21 y/o.
    You're going to have to research the laws of every state you will pass through. Each and every time you make a stop, you are risking a potentially bad legal outcome. While you are here in PA, you may only "transport" it between a very few specific locations, listed in the statute, and only when going DIRECTLY between them. Make a stop for gas or a sandwich, and you're breaking the law.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Jefferson County)

As the guys above mentioned, the states in question will matter.

Even though you may own a handgun in PA at 18+, other states have 21 as the minimum age to own/possess.

So, we will need to know your destination.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    As the guys above mentioned, the states in question will matter.

Even though you may own a handgun in PA at 18+, other states have 21 as the minimum age to own/possess.

So, we will need to know your destination.
    Florida; I will be driving through DE, MD, VA, NC, SC, and GA.

(Jefferson County)

Florida's age of possession is 18yo. HOWEVER, if you are in college, and living on college property - you are shit out of luck. https://www.armedcampuses.org/florida/

If you have your own private apartment, that isn't college-owned. You should be OK. ....just leave it at home.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Maryland is probably going to be the biggest problem. I don't think your allowed to possess a handgun at all under 21 there. Technically you would be covered under FOPA for transporting through the state. That might not keep you from being arrested if pulled over, it would be a defense in court.

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: Cross-country trip with pistol, no Concealed Carry Permit

If you really decide to do this, better to plan your route down I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 which limits your exposure to MD to only around 10 miles. Alternatively I-81 to I-40 to I-75 which adds TN and drops the Carolinas N & S.

Spend some time on handgunlaw.us
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lancaster County)

Maybe its the paranoid NJ in me, but I will that guy to suggest perhaps shipping it to a FFL down in FL and avoiding the headache of driving with it?
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Indiana County)

Shipping it from an FFL to an FFL would be the easiest way, but once in Florida our OP wouldn't be able to pick up the handgun from the destination FFL since he's under 21. The state may say it's okay for him to have it, but FFLs run by Federal rules, and they say 21 or older.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast