Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transporting in PA

I am a Virginia resident and a CCW license holder. I recently applied and got approved for a LTCF in PA. Now I have to go to PA to pick up my license. I am spending the week-end in PA.
    My question is: since I need to have a concealed permit in PA to transport a firearm in a vehicle, how do I transport my firearm while ON THE WAY to pick up my LTCF ? Am I illegal up to the moment I receive my LTCF? If the sheriff who is issuing the LTCF asks if I currently have a firearm in my car, can he then deny me the LTCF?
    Last edited by CompTrex; May 24th, 2019 at 08:23 AM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Transporting in PA

How did you get pre-approved? Here we walk in with completed form, get pic taken and walk out with permit in hand. Now that varies from county to county and you would be best served to find one that will treat you that way, some will not. My research shows that PA does not honor VA's permit to carry so you would not be legal to carry it. Others will have to tell you if you can have it in your car or not under these circumstances, because I don't know. And as a non-resident you can go to any sheriff's office to apply for your LTCF.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

We printed out forms. Sent them in with a check. Got a call that they are ready to be picked up, but that has to be in person.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Exception 11 of the Pennsylvania law allows you to carry in your vehicle with any state permit, as a resident of another state.

Perfect!
    Thank you.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CompTrex View Post
    We printed out forms. Sent them in with a check. Got a call that they are ready to be picked up, but that has to be in person.
    Ohhh, OK, that could be a different story, hopefully one who knows will be along soon.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by CompTrex View Post
    Typically they have to be applied in person, but no matter. You will get your pic taken and your LTCF processed when you arrive.
    Also don't expect the sheriffs office to be open Sat-Mon.

As to your question......Pa recognizes any permit from any other state while travelling, so while in your vehicle you are GTG. Exiting the vehicle is another matter. Your only option would then be OC, which is legal except in Philly without a LTCF. However we are in a perpetual "state of emergency" which precludes OC without a LTCF. Some feel the SOE isn't lawful, but it's a matter of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Typically they have to be applied in person, but no matter. You will get your pic taken and your LTCF processed when you arrive.
    Also don't expect the sheriffs office to be open Sat-Mon.

As to your question......Pa recognizes any permit from any other state while travelling, so while in your vehicle you are GTG. Exiting the vehicle is another matter. Your only option would then be OC, which is legal except in Philly without a LTCF. However we are in a perpetual "state of emergency" which precludes OC without a LTCF. Some feel the SOE isn't lawful, but it's a matter of opinion.
    Wait. What?
    PA is in a perpetual "state of emergency"?
    So OC is not currently legal?
    Good to know...

(Bucks County)

To the best of my knowledge the last time there was a SOE in PA was March of 2017 for a winter northeaster that brought extraordinary snowfalls. Tha SOE ended after the cleanup was finished. I cannot associate the @Gos’s County remark with an actual declaration. Maybe I misunderstood the intent if the remark, or maybe I missed the news that there was a continuing SOE.

Quote Originally Posted by 105gunner View Post
    To the best of my knowledge the last time there was a SOE in PA was March of 2017 for a winter northeaster that brought extraordinary snowfalls. Tha SOE ended after the cleanup was finished. I cannot associate the @Gos’s County remark with an actual declaration. Maybe I misunderstood the intent if the remark, or maybe I missed the news that there was a continuing SOE.
    To my knowledge Wolf keeps extending the SOE over the "opioid crisis" for political gain. I believe late March was the last declaration, and IIRC they're 90 days. Maybe he has backed off of it since spring.
    But i doubt it. He's been doing this for over a year now.
    Last edited by God's Country; May 24th, 2019 at 09:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast