Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Washington County)

Default Re: FFL Screwed Up Paperwork

Quote Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
    Thank you, WCMG. That might actually be cheaper than doing everything all over again through another FFL. On the other hand I'd honestly be shocked if they end up contacting me to confirm that the fixes were made once they've received that mail. In my experience gov't agencies don't reach out to you unless: A) you owe them money, or B) something is wrong. They rarely (if ever) contact you to confirm something was fixed. The tracking info will just tell me they got the mail, and that it was probably thrown onto a pile of other mail that's been backlogged for months. So I'm thinking I should just cough up the $40 to redo the transfer at another FFL just to have that extra peace of mind and get it over with. :-(
    I should have mentioned, GunLawyer001's comment about going to another FFL would be the best way. It would definitely correct the issue in PA's "non-registry" firearm database.

I would never expect them to contact you about the correction, but you did make an effort to correct the issue for future issues with the police.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Bucks County)

This thread would give an aspirin a headache.
    I'll do the transfer for you if you want.
    The transfer fee is $20.00
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Montgomery County)

UPDATE: Finally got in touch with someone in PSP Records Dept. They pulled up my form and fixed the errors over the phone. I also asked about my employment information, and she confirmed it was never submitted in the original application. But she said it wasn't a big deal and didn't want that info from me. Not quite sure why they even ask for that info in the paperwork but whatever.

If anyone in the future has the same problem and finds this thread, give this number a call to get it resolved: (717) 783-5495

As for fixing things on the federal side (Form 4473), ATF told me they don't keep any specific info for handguns. Just long guns. So no fix needed there. I guess the federal gov't is more keen on following the Second Amendment than our own state.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    This thread would give an aspirin a headache.
    I'll do the transfer for you if you want.
    The transfer fee is $20.00
    It's nice to see the members on this site helping other one's out, I know it's something you have done several times now.

UPDATE: Finally got in touch with someone in PSP Records Dept. They pulled up my form and fixed the errors over the phone. I also asked about my employment information, and she confirmed it was never submitted in the original application.
    OP glad to see you got your issue fixed. I find it amusing on how much emphasis is put on gun control, safety, and early warning via red flag laws in the news and by our state and national politicians but when you try and do the right thing to make everyone's life easier and abide by what most consider unjust laws absolutely no one cares, or wants to help. Further proof that the burden will always be on the law abiding regardless of what law is passed.
    Last edited by Hodgie; May 23rd, 2019 at 09:49 AM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
    UPDATE: Finally got in touch with someone in PSP Records Dept. They pulled up my form and fixed the errors over the phone. I also asked about my employment information, and she confirmed it was never submitted in the original application. But she said it wasn't a big deal and didn't want that info from me. Not quite sure why they even ask for that info in the paperwork but whatever.

If anyone in the future has the same problem and finds this thread, give this number a call to get it resolved: (717) 783-5495

As for fixing things on the federal side (Form 4473), ATF told me they don't keep any specific info for handguns. Just long guns. So no fix needed there. I guess the federal gov't is more keen on following the Second Amendment than our own state.

Several things:
    By that phone number I know who you talked to and she will go out of her way to get/make things right, I've talked to her in the past with questions/problems and she has always come through.

Just FYI, it is taking the PSP approximately 16-18 MONTHS to get the information transferred from the paper copy of the SP4-113 into the database.

Also, the records kept by a FFL (the 4473 and any additional paperwork that must go with it) must be stored for 20 years unless the FFL goes out of business before that. If they go out of business, they are required to box up those records and send them to the BATFE. If the FFL is in business past 20 years, they have the option of destroying any records that are older than 20 years old or they can send those records to the BATFE.

As for the occupation, address, etc. portion of the form, that information was used back when the PSP required a BCG to be done prior to PICS (remember the waiting period, 6 days I think it was). At that time they did use that info for the BCG but with the PICS it really isn't needed any more. Plus if one is retired, there is no work related details. If they are a student at PSU I have them write "Student" and for employer to write "PSU" or "Penn State" in that block and I've never had a form filled out that way questioned.

One more FYI - The only time the ATF will see the 4473's is when the FFL is having their periodic compliance inspection and even then the inspector would not know if the model number was correct or not for that serial number. Typically no one, other than the FFL, will see the 4473 unless they are subpoenaed by a court or if/when they are sent to the BATFE and then the person who sees them is just a clerk who is scanning them into the ATF computer database. The only other time would be if the ATF contacts the FFL for a trace requirement, the FFL then has to scan and email (or fax) the 4473 to them. At that time (during a trace) would the model number/serial number discrepancy show up.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234