Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Can anyone recommend outdoor ranges, besides SGL's, near Delco?

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    SCCSFA https://sccsfa.org/ You can shoot machine guns on Wednesdays.

Atglen https://atglensportsmensclub.org/ is good, but there is a waiting list. No full auto.
    That SCCSFA looks like a great club, if it was 50% closer I'd join that.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I heard today theres an outdoor range at French creek or in French creek area?
    May require a hunting license to attend, or to take a course/safety brief.
    Elverson Rod and Gun Club is up there, but according to their website, they are not accepting new members.

South Birdsboro Rod and Gun Club is also up in that area. I am a member. It is small but cheap. Has a rifle range up to 300 yards. No full auto but also no magazine limits. I am not sure whether they are accepting new members. To join, you just need to come early to one of the monthly meetings, pay your money, and get a brief orientation and tour. They do not have a web but do have a facebook page.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    There are a few around Chester County, I belong to Northern Chester County Sportsmen's Club. Outdoor to 150 yds, shoot steel and other stuff that doesn't leave a mess behind and you take your trash with you, draw from holster is permitted (I understand that one is an issue at a lot of places), no requirement that you pick up your brass (scrap yard owner on the board might have something to do with that). Not much of an indoor range but they use it on Wednesday nights in the winter.
    I have done a bunch of research on the ranges in the area and this is the one that really sticks out for its simple and reasonable rules and reasonable pricing structure. Do you know if they are currently accepting new members?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by VisceralFat View Post
    I have done a bunch of research on the ranges in the area and this is the one that really sticks out for its simple and reasonable rules and reasonable pricing structure. Do you know if they are currently accepting new members?
    Membership year ends July 31 and they don't offer much of a grace period, if any, so right now would be a good time to apply. They have a trap shoot on Thursdays @1800 and you could stop in and talk to the folks. You could fill out the on-line application in the meantime.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Membership year ends July 31 and they don't offer much of a grace period, if any, so right now would be a good time to apply. They have a trap shoot on Thursdays @1800 and you could stop in and talk to the folks. You could fill out the on-line application in the meantime.
    Sounds good, maybe I'll stop in for one of the trap nights or a training course.

The application process seems to require a sponsor. Not sure how difficult that is to obtain or what the approval process is like? Is it kind of like attend one event and somebody should vouch for you, or more involved? Thanks

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by VisceralFat View Post
    Sounds good, maybe I'll stop in for one of the trap nights or a training course.

The application process seems to require a sponsor. Not sure how difficult that is to obtain or what the approval process is like? Is it kind of like attend one event and somebody should vouch for you, or more involved? Thanks
    If you show up at the trap shoot on Thursday and talk to guys you should be able to find a sponsor if you present yourself as a responsible person. I'd recommend going this Thursday as I don't know how many are on the waiting list. They limit membership to 850 and we're hovering around that number.

(Montgomery County)

In my experience, being in SE PA can make good range membership a challenge.
    Lots of indoor ranges that are limited in size and practical training usage, lots of outdoor Fudd ranges, lots more membership expense than you will find further West and North.

Decent ranges have increased expenses and instituted sponsorship requirements to keep out the nut jobs and the flood of NJ/NY/MD people that want to change them.
    The further West and North you go the less you encounter this, and the easier it becomes to enjoy the traditional PA 2A freedom you are seeking.

75 miles is a long way, about 1.5 hours drive time on a highway outside of rush hour traffic.
    Open a map and arc your distance from your point of origin, focus your search West and North within the arc and you should find what you seek.

Being willing to spend a bit more on membership will also increase your options.
    Stuff is out there, you just need to work a bit to find what you're looking for.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lancaster County)

Blasphemy but jump over into NJ and Range 14 goes to 200 yd with steel allowed at the 200 berm. Roughly 60 miles from delco

Otherwise, going towards reading, University Rifle Club has a decent range and has steel allowed wherever. Thats about 50 miles from delco. Think membership was ~225 a year.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12