Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Warren County)

Default Re: Allowed to buy a pistol at 18?

And welcome to PAFOA!

Please register to vote and VOTE 2A
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Adopted child yes, stepchild no. Must be a clear genealogical vertical progression, no crossways allowed.

Siblings? Nope, not hardly.
    Ok I have wondered about this. ( And no im not thinking about doing it) I give a pistol to my WIFE... she decides later she does not want it...so she gives it to her SON...My Step-son.. Now how would this be looked at ??

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    Ok I have wondered about this. ( And no im not thinking about doing it) I give a pistol to my WIFE... she decides later she does not want it...so she gives it to her SON...My Step-son.. Now how would this be looked at ??
    "Looks" like trying to circumvent the law - even though it's technically not, if it truly played out as described.
    In such an instance, I'd want some sort of "paper trail" - maybe not an FFL, but something with some signatures.

Know what I mean, Vern?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    So long as the circumstances weren't to intentionally circumvent the law, completely legal IMO.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    So long as the circumstances weren't to intentionally circumvent the law, completely legal IMO.
    My problem with laws like this is proving/defending lack of intent.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    But then you'll be in the situation of not being able to buy ammo for it because you have to be 21yo to buy ammo for a handgun(even if you lawfully own the handgun).
    Does the law actually prohibit the purchase and/or possession, or just bind the seller (I'm looking, but haven't found a solid answer yet)?

Could a generous (older) soul legally *give* handgun ammo to someone under 21?

ETA - my research suggest the prohibition is for "licensed manufacturers or dealers" and prevent them (and only them) from "selling", so I could not only legally give ammo to a 20-year-old, I could intentionally purchase it with the intent to resell it to them, because I am not one of the entities to which the law applies.

I'd welcome a citation to correct me if I'm mistaken.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; May 21st, 2019 at 05:19 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Does the law actually prohibit the purchase and/or possession, or just bind the seller (I'm looking, but haven't found a solid answer yet)?

Could a generous (older) soul legally *give* handgun ammo to someone under 21?

ETA - my research suggest the prohibition is for "licensed manufacturers or dealers" and prevent them (and only them) from "selling", so I could not only legally give ammo to a 20-year-old, I could intentionally purchase it with the intent to resell it to them, because I am not one of the entities to which the law applies.

I'd welcome a citation to correct me if I'm mistaken.
    Federal law prohibits the sale of ammo for handguns, and handguns, to folks under 21yo.
    Federal law prohibits giving/selling/providing handguns to folks under 18 privately, with certain exceptions.

State law prohibits possession of a "firearm" under the age of 18", certain exceptions.
    State law requires a proper transfer for "firearms" regardless of age, except certain relations, and except bequest/intestate succession.

I don't believe there is an issue with a person 21yo+ giving ammo to a person that is under 21yo. ....I think.

The way I got around it back when I was <21yo was that I bought reloading supplies and rolled my own. Or my dad/mom/uncles gave it to me. ...mostly loaded my own ammo back then. I was the legal owner of a Colt Python and a S&W 459 before I was 21yo. Jefferson Co sheriff transferred the Python from an Uncle to me. And I bought the S&W privately in Florida(no transfer required there, back then).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12