Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question Allowed to buy a pistol at 18?

Hi, I am 18 years old and have started to get into steel shooting. I absolutely love it so far and wanted to buy a Ruger .22 lite. I've read that I CAN get a firearm through a private seller, but it needs to be through an FFL. If it needs to go through an FFL for the sale, will I not be allowed to buy it since I'm only 18? Thanks in advanced.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Allowed to buy a pistol at 18?

For a FFL to transfer anything other than a rifle or a shotgun, you must be 21yo.

The only legal ways for you to receive a handgun are:
    1. Given to you by a spouse, parent, or grandparent. (assuming you have no children that are 21yo)
    2. Buy/given a gun by anyone else, but said transfer would have to go through a PA sheriff(no sheriffs are known to do it anymore)
    3. Have someone die and will the gun to you, or be top dog in the line of succession.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by LSchappell View Post
    Thank you for the info, I appreciate it!
    You're welcome.

Even though you're allow to owe/possess a "firearm"(handgun, SBS, SBR) in PA. You cant buy one or have one transferred through a FFL.

Your only other option is to make a handgun from scratch. ....from an 80%(or less) receiver and completely manufacture your own handgun. But then you'll be in the situation of not being able to buy ammo for it because you have to be 21yo to buy ammo for a handgun(even if you lawfully own the handgun).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Build an AR pistol then. The clerk at Walmart's sporting goods counter doesn't usually ask if the .223 Rem/5.56mm NATO rounds you are buying "are those for a rifle or a hand gun?"

Besides, isn't it legal for an 18-year old to buy a stripped lower (not an 80% lower, but a 100% lower) from a private seller FTF without going through an FFL? I thought I read it on this forum some time ago. It would be quite a bit simpler than scratch building from an 80% receiver in that case.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    Build an AR pistol then. The clerk at Walmart's sporting goods counter doesn't usually ask if the .223 Rem/5.56mm NATO rounds you are buying "are those for a rifle or a hand gun?"

Besides, isn't it legal for an 18-year old to buy a stripped lower (not an 80% lower, but a 100% lower) from a private seller FTF without going through an FFL? I thought I read it on this forum some time ago. It would be quite a bit simpler than scratch building from an 80% receiver in that case.

Unfortunately, Walmart's policy is now to only sell ammo to 21yo regardless as to what it is for.

And yes, A private transfer of a bare/virgin receiver would be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    For a FFL to transfer anything other than a rifle or a shotgun, you must be 21yo.

The only legal ways for you to receive a handgun are:
    1. Given to you by a spouse, parent, or grandparent. (assuming you have no children that are 21yo)
    2. Buy/given a gun by anyone else, but said transfer would have to go through a PA sheriff(no sheriffs are known to do it anymore)
    3. Have someone die and will the gun to you, or be top dog in the line of succession.
    I though it had to be immediate family (parent or spouse). I didn't know grandparents were also allowed.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    I though it had to be immediate family (parent or spouse). I didn't know grandparents were also allowed.
    PA's exemption is between spouses, parent/child, and grandparent/grandchild.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, lots of people assume brothers/sisters can gift each other, but nope.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    PA's exemption is between spouses, parent/child, and grandparent/grandchild.
    Adopted child yes, stepchild no. Must be a clear genealogical vertical progression, no crossways allowed.

Siblings? Nope, not hardly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast