(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Shooting down drones over private property

Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    "GAME OF DRONES". I love it...
    FIFY

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    There are methods of jamming the frequency that's it's using, but doing so is illegal.
    It's not illegal if the unlicensed drone receiver wanders too close to a licensed high powered transmitter on a nearby frequency and gets swamped.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Thieves and peeping Toms. So...what is the offense for flying it too close to my personal property? If it's a meaningful offense it would be in the owner's best interest to just drop all charges against each other after a takedown.
    Yup here's a good story that happened to Mike Rowe although it's better when he tell's it himself.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/mike-...spying-window/

MIKE ROWE ALMOST SHOOTS DOWN DRONE SPYING THROUGH HIS WINDOW

T.V. star Mike Rowe had a close encounter in his own backyard.
    It was not a U.F.O., but a spying drone that was looking through Mike Rowe's window.
    Grabbing his Mossberg shotgun, Mike Rowe took aim at this trespassing unmanned aerial vehicle that was peeking into his window. He held his fire and called the police.

While T.V. personality Mike Rowe was sleeping in his own house, he dreamed he heard a giant bumble bee close to his ear. Well, it was not a bee: when he woke up and looked out the window, he was three feet away from a peering drone.

Mike is quoted on his Facebook page: "I leapt from my bed and pulled the drapes aside. There, not three feet in front of me, was a camera, dangling from the underside of a drone. The red light was on, and the camera was rolling."

As Mike Rowe ran out the door with his shotgun and his cell phone, he encountered the drone.

I pumped a shell into the chamber, enjoying the "crunch-crunch" sound that makes shotguns worth owning," Mike related. "I had a clear shot - nothing but blue sky above - and more than enough umbrage to justify the destruction I was about to unleash. But then, as I was literally squeezing the trigger, I saw the camera tilt down. It was pointed directly at me, and in that moment -- I froze."

Why did Mike freeze?

"I froze," he stated, "because I could see the video that might very well appear on the local news, (with considerable blurring, naturally) -- the same video that might soon appear on my mother's computer screen, along with the headline -- "Dirty Jobs Guy Totally Loses It--Gets Naked and Shoots Drone From San Francisco Skies."

The spying drone phenomenon has become a real problem. Where does the law draw the line when it comes to aerial intrusions like this one?

Mike Rowe was right to grab the trusty shotgun. Maybe next time, that drone operator will remember one celebrity who was locked and loaded. We are certain Mike Rowe is ready for the next invasion, although we hope this doesn't happen again.

(Bucks County)

It varies by state, county and even possibly by local ordinance, but a property owner does own the air above to a height probably limited to 350-500 feet.

For centuries, common law said whoever has soil has ownership all the way to heaven and all the way to hell. The invention and proliferation of aircraft and the establishment of the civil aeronautics administration (now the FAA) lowered the ceiling, for obvious reasons.

FAA is in charge of "drones" ( a misnomer, really...they started out as "quad copters" or similar name) and drones are serious devices. Be that as it may, FAA rules that originally were designed to regulate small recreational flying devices have been applied to the regulating of so-called drones, with more regs in the making.

People are not supposed to buy a $69 drone and just go fly it. They are required to obtain licensing and learn and operate under the FAA regs. For example, remain no higher than 400 feet above terrain. An online test of FAA rules knowledge is in the making.

Since I own let's say safe to assume 36 feet of air above my soil, a drone peering in my home's window is definitely trespassing, and I would contend that, by extension, the operator of the peering device is trespassing by proxy. If that is not within the construct of the trespassing law language, it needs to be added.

I would capture that drone and hold it. If the owner knocked on our door, I would tell them I will contact FAA and inform them that I have captured a drone that was acting as a Peeping Tom device that has no required identifying hull number and the owner/operator is/was in violation of FAA regs. I kind of doubt s/he would push the issue. Meanwhile, if it has a camera, I would have downloaded its contents if possible.

Drones is an example of existing laws and regulations being inadequate to address a new set of circumstances that are the product of modern advances.
    Last edited by Bang; May 20th, 2019 at 11:40 AM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lancaster County)

A fishing rod, a practice plug, and a little bit of practice is all you need to get a drone out of the air.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

Like calling the police for a "peeping tom", call for a "peeping drone."

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE:

The Brits had a problem with aircraft flying too close to London in the 1940's. They attached steel cables to large balloons, hoisted them hundreds of feet into the air, and created invisible boobytraps that would cripple any plane that ran into one.

Piano wire. Balloons. Figure out the minimum distance that would count as "intrusive", maybe 20 feet from the ground up. Anyone who loses a drone because it ran into an obstacle within 20 feet of your grass has no good argument.

Same for using a net. Someone flies his drone down to look inside your window, net that sucker and wait to see who comes to claim it. Then sue his ass for tortious invasion of privacy, and trespass, and whatever else fits.

net.jpg
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

Mirrors
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE:

The Brits had a problem with aircraft flying too close to London in the 1940's. They attached steel cables to large balloons, hoisted them hundreds of feet into the air, and created invisible boobytraps that would cripple any plane that ran into one.

Piano wire. Balloons. Figure out the minimum distance that would count as "intrusive", maybe 20 feet from the ground up. Anyone who loses a drone because it ran into an obstacle within 20 feet of your grass has no good argument.

Same for using a net. Someone flies his drone down to look inside your window, net that sucker and wait to see who comes to claim it. Then sue his ass for tortious invasion of privacy, and trespass, and whatever else fits.

net.jpg
    This ^.

If it was low enough to be netted, thrown by hand, it will certainly be trespassing and possibly invasion of privacy if equipped with a camera.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Couple rolls of 50# test Braided fishing line from your building eves out to the nearby trees, etc. to snag any trespassing drones...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast