Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Sight adjustment on Russian IMEZ Makarov

Good morning, I recently purchased a Russian IMEZ Makarov. It is an American import model which means it has the adjustable rear sights. It's a 380 version, silver with black grips. It works great but I feel the sight needs adjustment. At approximately 10 yards if I want to get close to the bullseye on my circular targets I have to aim at the 3 o'clock position. I'm relatively new to guns but have done some shooting in my 61 years. How do I properly adjust the sights on this fine little 380. Also this is my very first interaction with this very informative site. I would like to add pictures but haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Default Re: Sight adjustment on Russian IMEZ Makarov

On the Makarov , windage is adjusted by the little screw on the side of the rear sight.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Thank you for the reply. I'm aiming at 3oclock to hit my bullseye. So I need to go left. Which way do I turn that screw?

(Berks County)

To adjust to the left with the rear sight I believe that you would adjust the sight to the left. When adjusting the front sight you would move it in the opposite direction.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Thank you sir

(Chester County)

Your pistol is a B-West imported Makarov that came into the U.S. in the early to mid 90's. The finish is Satin Nickel. I have one just like it that I bought in 1994. Do not polish the finish as it is somewhat thin and can rust. A friend on mine did that with his. Turn the rear sight screw so the sight moves Right until it is hitting point of aim. As I'm sure you know, the screw on the top is for elevation.
    Last edited by Pilot321; May 20th, 2019 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks for the tip on the finish. I adjusted the windage screw but it doesn't stay in place. It goes back to original position. Any ideas??

Hey buddy ... sounds like you want to go right ...... not left.
    You're too far left as it is and that is your problem and what you are compensating for.
    You want the bullet to come right. Therefore the rear moves to the right.
    Sounds like it may be stripped out.
    If playing with it makes you think something is stripped out .............
    1st thing I'd do is visit a gun shop with a gunsmith ..... not Lowes or the hardware store and see if they can hook you up with a screw that may work or be made to work.

if that fails ......... I see 2 options depending , keep in mind ... I make no claims to work at Turnbull Restoration.
    But if you can get the blade to move to where you want it , Loctite makes many products.
    One of which is designed to be applied after you bolt something down ..... supposed to wick/seep into the treads.
    That may hold .... I've had dumb luck with some Loctite stuff doing what I thought may not work.
    trouble is you may need to order it and that costs money.

The other thing you could do ..... if it were me again ....I assume your blade is not moving on it's own and staying in one place. What you could do is , take a file and widen the rear sight notch.
    You want to go right , so file the sight notch on the inside , along the right wall of the notch as you would view it while taking a sight picture.
    This has the same effect of moving the sight right.
    You normally do not have to file much ... a little goes a long ways ..... file a little and shoot to see the result ..... repeat if needed.
    Your rear notch will get wider ..... but I've done this with guns and it's not as bad as you may think.
    Hardly noticeable most times.
    Granted it won't win you any gunsmith of the year awards ..... but your gun will hit where you aim it.

You're right, I do need to move right. I'll try it again and consider your advice. If it doesn't hold I'll take it to a gunsmith and get it fixed right. Thank you.

Good luck to you. Nothing worse that a firearm that doesn't hit where it's pointed.