Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Default Re: I don't understand the 'higher end' 1911

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I forgot to mention what I paid for that Colt, just to rub in what a goose I am.
    The owner's son came into the p.d. one evening to say he was moving his dad back to California to live with him (California. it figurers).

He puts a paperbag up on the counter and says his dad doesn't need THESE any more. In the bag was my Colt and a S&W Victory model .38 spl.
    He says he's like to turn the guns in for destruction. I looked at them and told the son they have military provenance and might be worth a few bucks and that I'd buy the pair for $350.00

The son says "Yeah? ok, I'll think about it and get back to you". Couple days later he calls me at the station and says come get them- a gunshop offered him $300.00 and I can have them for $350
    I secured 2 pistol purchase permits and went to the house to pick them up. That is where I met the father who said he carried both during his travels with the Army in WW2. I think he said he was a signalman.

He kept them (stole) when he left the Army at the end of the war because he liked guns and had logged a lot of miles with them- Funny how the California kid wanted them destroyed until he found out there might be a little money in it for him. I sold the Victory model to a lady named Maryann who had a gun store around the Pendel area.
    The kid was probably a politician.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    This is not to offend anyone with a hand-fit 1911. I just don't get them.

snipped

thanks.
    You understand it completely if you ever competed in NRA Conventional Pistol. The 10 ring on the 50 yard slow fire target is pretty damn small. At 25 yards for timed and rapid fire the X-ring and 10 ring don't seem any bigger. James Clark of Louisiana was among the first to hand fit the Colt Government Model and offered guns suited for semi-wadcutter and hardball ammo. Later it was learned that such hand fitted pistols worked fine with the improved ammunition being offered by the various manufacturers with just ordinary care, so one could have gilt edge accuracy and reliability also. My first was a circa 1970 Clark Heavy Slide that I bought used.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Ah. The Gold Cup...... Very nice pistol

(Bucks County)

If you have ever seen an SPG...Sheaffer Precision Gunworks 1911....(he is usually at the Oaks show) his stuff is really good quality

Threads like this are stupid beyond belief.

What is to not "understand" about higher end 1911's? They hold their value probably better than mid and lower priced guns, so the value is there if one can afford it.

Reminds me of Bernie supporters who villify anyone who has anything better than they do. (I own lowly Kimbers and a Springfield Armory)
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789