Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: I don't understand the 'higher end' 1911

I'll add a couple things to the photos. The gun has an old NP3 finish from Robar. It's polished shiny in some areas from the holsters but not worn off. Damn good finish.
    In my defense, I was learning the black arts of modifying 1911s when I did the mods on the gun. I didn't discover it's history until years later when I ran across a similar serial number pursuant to an investigation.

I have a couple other 1911s from the same era, one of them has a soft slide (non-differentially heat treated) it was a super .38 gun issued to the OSS in WW2. The other is a first year ace from 1931. It shows the heat treat lines in the slide and the half circle around the slide lock cut.

The last photo is my every day carry rig, the one above it is my old duty rig. I still use the duty rig as a school police officer in Pa. I had a 12 year old boy come up to me in the lunch room one day (I was filling in for the regular officer) he eyeballed me for a while from across the room. He finally came up to me and said "I'm going to like you" when said I yeah? why's that? He said "Cause you carry a 1911, not a Glock like everybody else...and my Dad says Glocks suck!" Sharp kid. I think he'll do great things.

Thanks to thebearpack for posting the photos-
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    The last photo is my every day carry rig, the one above it is my old duty rig. I still use the duty rig as a school police officer in Pa. I had a 12 year old boy come up to me in the lunch room one day (I was filling in for the regular officer) he eyeballed me for a while from across the room. He finally came up to me and said "I'm going to like you" when said I yeah? why's that? He said "Cause you carry a 1911, not a Glock like everybody else...and my Dad says Glocks suck!" Sharp kid. I think he'll do great things.
    I like the cut of that kid’s jib.

Thank you and everyone in this thread for all the great information... I learned a lot about 1911s.

(Chester County)

I feel embarrassed posting pictures of my current 1911 after seeing CDI's Colt. That is a very cool piece of Colt history still in use today which just goes to show how great the quality was in the original manufacturing process.

It's amazing enough that a kid would come up to you since you were carrying a gun let alone knowing the difference between a 1911 and a Glock. Sometimes surprising things do happen.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

I am not a 1911 fan.....but that being said, the history of the platform and craftsmanship is worth it to me getting one just to have.

Not sure if I want an older Colt or something a bit newer....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I'll add a couple things to the photos. The gun has an old NP3 finish from Robar. It's polished shiny in some areas from the holsters but not worn off. Damn good finish.
    In my defense, I was learning the black arts of modifying 1911s when I did the mods on the gun. I didn't discover it's history until years later when I ran across a similar serial number pursuant to an investigation.

I have a couple other 1911s from the same era, one of them has a soft slide (non-differentially heat treated) it was a super .38 gun issued to the OSS in WW2. The other is a first year ace from 1931. It shows the heat treat lines in the slide and the half circle around the slide lock cut.

Thanks to thebearpack for posting the photos-
    You have an impressive piece of history... Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post
    I am not a 1911 fan.....but that being said, the history of the platform and craftsmanship is worth it to me getting one just to have.

Not sure if I want an older Colt or something a bit newer....
    65gcnm.jpg
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

If it makes any difference, I have a Les Baer Heavyweight Monolith that came with an inch and a half 50 yard guarantee and test target. I have several thousand rounds through this pistol and NEVER have had a malfunction.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Are you saying you have a 1938 Colt Navy as your every day shooter and that it's mostly original?
    Colt navy is 1851
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Colt navy is 1851
    The US hadn't ordered many new weapons after WWI but in the 30s when the clouds of war were gathering again, the Navy decided to start replenishing its stocks. The higher-ups ordered 1911s and other small arms for their ships and bases, either through Springfield or via direct contracts. Unlike the 1911s made early in WWI that were actually marked "Model of 1911 US Navy", all these 1911A1s were marked "Model of 1911 US Army" on the slide. However, all pre-1940 1911A1s are generally considered "Navys" by USGI 1911 collectors. In fact, many 1940 1911A1s wound up on PT boats.

They actually have more to do with the Navy than 1851s, which simply have a naval engagement scene on the cylinder.

Now you know!

(Bucks County)

I forgot to mention what I paid for that Colt, just to rub in what a goose I am.
    The owner's son came into the p.d. one evening to say he was moving his dad back to California to live with him (California. it figurers).

He puts a paperbag up on the counter and says his dad doesn't need THESE any more. In the bag was my Colt and a S&W Victory model .38 spl.
    He says he's like to turn the guns in for destruction. I looked at them and told the son they have military provenance and might be worth a few bucks and that I'd buy the pair for $350.00

The son says "Yeah? ok, I'll think about it and get back to you". Couple days later he calls me at the station and says come get them- a gunshop offered him $300.00 and I can have them for $350
    I secured 2 pistol purchase permits and went to the house to pick them up. That is where I met the father who said he carried both during his travels with the Army in WW2. I think he said he was a signalman.

He kept them (stole) when he left the Army at the end of the war because he liked guns and had logged a lot of miles with them- Funny how the California kid wanted them destroyed until he found out there might be a little money in it for him. I sold the Victory model to a lady named Maryann who had a gun store around the Pendel area.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast