Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: I don't understand the 'higher end' 1911

5 grains of 231 over a 200 grain cast and powder coated bullet is my standard.
    My S&W E series has been perfect. Godless external extractor and all.

(Blair County)

My only 1911 ATM is a RIA 10mm. I like it alot. When it was new it had lots of problems, magazine would drop while firing, or if it stayed in it would not lock the slide back. It was so tight i could not reassemble it. The bracket the held the front fiber optic sight was crooked, the dot stayed centered, but I could see the sides of it in my sight picture.. I was firing full power loads.....probably max loads, exceeding underwood speeds. 155gr at 1500fps(actual). I sent the gun back and from what I i can tell they replaced everything minus the frame. Put 800 rounds thru it since them and not had a single hiccup. Not sure what made me keep it, normally a gun with so many issues i would have just traded in but its a real nice shooter now. Low recoil and can do about 2.5" at 25 yards which is really good for my eyes.
    Plus its really comfortable to carry in a leather OWB holster. Its my woods gun now.

(Cambria County)

I had the pleasure of firing a well treated STI 2011. It was nice, real nice. Like driving a finely tuned performance racing car.

I'm more of a Jeep/Glock person myself, but I can appreciate a well crafted tool with fine tolerances.

I suspect that the 'break-in' period for top-level 1911s is part of the appeal for a lot of people. The user wants to be involved with the break-in process. (And, be able to share their experience with other folks interested in doing that.)

(Beaver County)

I don't like 1911s. My brother in law spent $1200 on a 1776 Sig 1911 and I didn't get it. THEN, he took it shooting with me and had a couple malfunctions. If I spent $1200 on a gun and it malfunctioned, especially more than once, I'd be bent over vomiting with rage at the firing line. I completely agree with the OP's point though. Guns that expensive shouldn't have break in or quality control issues.

(Lackawanna County)

I tend to see more 1911 failures during a match than any other platform. I think the higher end ones have such a tight tolerance that once they get dirty it just doesn’t run as well.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'd like to hear examples of what brand is dirty and what is clean if you have it (and I figure you know it off the top of your head).
    PPC is clean WWB is filthy
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    I tend to see more 1911 failures during a match than any other platform. I think the higher end ones have such a tight tolerance that once they get dirty it just doesn’t run as well.
    Properly made 1911s (that would be "tight") don't stop running due to being filthy, but like most firearms, they need to be kept properly lubed.
    If its made right to start with you can fire it till it is so damn dirty you can't tell what kind of gun it is- as long as you keep it lubed.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

From reading stories from past and current spec op's guys it's inherent to the platform. Any spec ops guys who choose to carry 1911's become their own 1911 pistol smith's in order to keep them as reliable as possible since they require more maintenance then most other modern pistols.

Larry Vickers has a crap ton of information and experience with the platform since he carried one for a long time in the early days of Delta and then later taught the week long builders classes. It's an amazing platform but when JMB invented the tilting barrel he out dated his own design.

(Berks County)

They were not designed to be tight. Match shooting led to tight guns. Then they came up with the modern competitions and brought their bullseye guns. In reality all that needs to be tight is barrel lock up. Frame and slide can rattle but guys paying 4 grand don’t want to hear a rattle.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    They were not designed to be tight.

They were not designed to be carried "cocked & locked" either.

Barrel to slide fit (inc. bushing) is more important than a tight slide to frame fit.

A loose slide/frame fit compensates for other improperly made parts.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast