Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: I don't understand the 'higher end' 1911

There was a Norwegian professor around 1900 that had a theory for this. It was called "Conspicuous Consumption." It's basically an ego thing. The same reason your wife spends $2,000 for a Louis Vuitton purse or you spend $200 for a single bottle of Sam Adams "Utopia" beer. Are any of these that much better than their more reasonable counterparts? Probably not, but with these extravagant items, you get to shove them in your co-workers or friends faces and shout "I am great, I am swell, I have something you don't have!" Strictly EGO! Sad, but a lot of people need to do this to satisfy the "Conspicuous Consumption" ego building urge. That is why that high-end designer crap flourishes.

-=BDD=-

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog Dad View Post
    There was a Norwegian professor around 1900 that had a theory for this. It was called "Conspicuous Consumption." It's basically an ego thing. The same reason your wife spends $2,000 for a Louis Vuitton purse or you spend $200 for a single bottle of Sam Adams "Utopia" beer. Are any of these that much better than their more reasonable counterparts? Probably not, but with these extravagant items, you get to shove them in your co-workers or friends faces and shout "I am great, I am swell, I have something you don't have!" Strictly EGO! Sad, but a lot of people need to do this to satisfy the "Conspicuous Consumption" ego building urge. That is why that high-end designer crap flourishes.

-=BDD=-
    While I agree with what you are saying as a reflection on where our society as a whole has gone and what many deem important or valuable. That being said where does the point of diminishing returns start with each item mentioned especially the 1911? Is that up to the individual or each specific firearm?

What I do know is a $350.00 RIA is significantly less refined then a $900.00 Kimber Custom II, and the Springfield TRP Operator at $1350.00 is somewhat more refined then the KImber Custom II.

By refined I am including, fitment, finish and features both mechanical and cosmetic.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    They were not designed to be carried "cocked & locked" either.

Barrel to slide fit (inc. bushing) is more important than a tight slide to frame fit.

A loose slide/frame fit compensates for other improperly made parts.
    Yes, but they can be safely carried cocked, and locked, and can be safely carried on the half cock notch. As others have posted some of their preferred loads, by go to is 4.2 grains of Hogdgon Clays under a 200 LSWC. Good practice round. If I want to get closer to a defense round, I bump it up a few grains.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    While I agree with what you are saying as a reflection on where our society as a whole has gone and what many deem important or valuable. That being said where does the point of diminishing returns start with each item mentioned especially the 1911? Is that up to the individual or each specific firearm?

What I do know is a $350.00 RIA is significantly less refined then a $900.00 Kimber Custom II, and the Springfield TRP Operator at $1350.00 is somewhat more refined then the KImber Custom II.

By refined I am including, fitment, finish and features both mechanical and cosmetic.
    I'm not saying either choice is right or wrong. It is a matter of personal choice. Mine would be the TRP operator (I have one). What I'm saying is I don't walk up to someone at the pistol range and wave it in their face to ensure they see it. That is the basis for "Conspicuous Consumption." I have a friend who owns a local beer distributor and he has laughed and told me the number of people that call and request Sam Adams Utopia beer. When I asked why, he said they find and buy one bottle (unique shape beer bottle) and cherish it so they can fill the empty bottle with something like Coors and proceed to strut around a house party proudly showing everyone the bottle, pretending to drink a $200 bottle of beer. This seems to more prevalent with millennials than any other group. Again, this is why the high-end designer crap flourishes. If you want a chuckle, search for Sam Adams Utopia to see the bottle.

-=BDD=-

My close-out priced PARA Expert Lightweight Commander is one hell of a decent 1911 for the $350 it cost brand new (after $100 rebate). It's very accurate , has proven more reliable than any factory new Colt Commander I've owned out of the box , has all the 'custom' features , and it's not a mirror polished blue , so if it gets a few dings as daily carry pistols get , so what.

It's a damn fine ugly pistol.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Delaware County)

To each his own, but, I'm looking for tools, not display items.
    Perhaps, if I had "excess" money, I'd think differently.
    I suppose, I'd be looking for $5000. watches, or $1000. fountain pens.
    What ever you like and can afford.
    "He who is Brave, is Free" Seneca
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

(Northampton County)

If you want a tool and one that shoots well and is built like Dan Wesson then check out the entry level Freedom 70 Series 1911 at Fusion Firearms. he builds them from $695 to $1195- Freedom Series then customs from $1195 up to $6000 grand if you want to go full blown custom. I have a custom 357 sig 5 inch from him about $1800 nine years ago and now I am enjoying on of the Freedom series guns much cheaper and they are built better than Kimbers in my opinion. check their website out ,don't take my opinion, lifetime guaranteed as well. I am in the I ain't going to spend 5 k crowd that's a lot more ammo for me. I like the entry level series because say you want better sights , ramped barrel etc you can order some upgrades if you want. his guns are are bar stock tool steel. I am cosidering another one from him for carry so this one will get the aluminum frame to reduce weight more. it's just another company option for 1911 guys.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog Dad View Post

-=BDD=-
    Norwegian guy was a low achiever.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Erie County)

It all depends on what it's worth to the individual.

I would never by a Porsche.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I've owned three RIAs, two in 9mm and one in 45 ACP and none of them gave me a bit of problem, and all were fairly accurate once I tuned them. But the DWs I acquired in their place are ORH accurate and three have the grip bob that I have grown to prefer when carrying a 1911.

I can't justify Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, or Nighthawk price levels but IMO and experience the DWs are an effective compromise between entry level and top end / custom 1911s.

Noah
    ORH by context I know your saying very accurate but what does ORH stand for? Urban dictionary doesn’t satisfy on this one.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast