Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: I don't understand the 'higher end' 1911

Think of them as a Land rover. They are beautiful, have all the options, they look really cool but are always in the shop.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Think of them as a Land rover. They are beautiful, have all the options, they look really cool but are always in the shop.

Got that right about Land Rover, my favorite vehicle of all time in every way except for reliability once it hit 65k miles.

Regarding "high end" 1911's I am the along the lines of Uncle Jumbo. There is a market for everyone when it comes to the 1911 and some people have much higher budgets and want all the bells whistles and there is nothing wrong with that. I think the only thing I hate hearing is guy's with more money then shooting skills and trigger time endless bragging about how much more accurate this is over that, or you cannot get a decent 1911 for under $2k blah blah blah. You also see the same from the guy's with the $300 Tisas 1911's and it's always "I put my $300.00 Tisas up against my friends $2000 what ever and out shoot him every time." Well congratulations (if true) you can out shoot your friend but I guarantee it has nothing to do with the gun, it's purchase price and I can almost guarantee neither of you are shooting well enough to out shoot either of your guns.

My 1st and currently only 1911 is a Kimber Custom II TLE RL, I have owned this for a long time and it's one of the 1st hand gun's I ever purchased. I used this to shoot my Florida Non resident permit for the 1st time about a decade ago and completed two NRA pistol classes with it before I moved on to Glocks and other striker fired pistols. I can honestly say I have never had a single failure in that pistol, it has worn very well and still almost looks brand new. Lots of people tell me I am full of shit or must be lying but it's been a great pistol, more accurate then me and looks awesome. While I think almost everything has a point of diminishing returns I think this particular model the Custom II from KImber hits that sweet spot coming in around the $850-$1k mark.

Late note.

The only 1911's I have personally seen break and completely fail has been the $300 Tisas imports and 2 of the 3 were under 1k rounds.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I've got a Dan Wesson. It's super nice..but not as reliable as my Colts. It shoots just fine, very accurate. But every now and then it chokes. And it needs to be soaked with lube.
    I remember reading several years ago on a 1911 website that a 1911 gunsmith/tuner would make a slurry compound to accelerate the break in period of the higher end, tighter tolerance 1911's. I wonder if your DW would benefit from something like that. I think it was just used on the slide and rails. I don't remember the contents of the slurry, but I am sure you can find it somewhere.

(Bucks County)

For the most part, you get what you pay for.
    frankly, any pistol that comes with the suggestion of a break in period is suspect from the start.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I remember reading several years ago on a 1911 website that a 1911 gunsmith/tuner would make a slurry compound to accelerate the break in period of the higher end, tighter tolerance 1911's. I wonder if your DW would benefit from something like that. I think it was just used on the slide and rails. I don't remember the contents of the slurry, but I am sure you can find it somewhere.
    You can use lapping compound , basically sand and oil.

(Allegheny County)

I remember when the internet said you couldn't buy a 1911 for under $1,000 and still not have to spend $10,000 in replacement parts in order for it to run.

Then I bought this for $350 and lived happily ever after...

This thread could be exactly the same by switching out "AR15" for "1911".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    You can use lapping compound , basically sand and oil.
    Yes, thank you. That would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I remember when the internet said you couldn't buy a 1911 for under $1,000 and still not have to spend $10,000 in replacement parts in order for it to run.

Then I bought this for $350 and lived happily ever after...

This thread could be exactly the same by switching out "AR15" for "1911".

While I agree with you It all depends on what your realistic use of the firearm is. The fact that RIA is the number one seller of 1911 firearms answers that question. Most people want a casual shooter for a occasional range day.

I think when it comes to heavy use in competition, and duty use then one needs to put some more thought into it.

(Elk County)

I've owned three RIAs, two in 9mm and one in 45 ACP and none of them gave me a bit of problem, and all were fairly accurate once I tuned them. But the DWs I acquired in their place are ORH accurate and three have the grip bob that I have grown to prefer when carrying a 1911.

I can't justify Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, or Nighthawk price levels but IMO and experience the DWs are an effective compromise between entry level and top end / custom 1911s.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I've owned three RIAs, two in 9mm and one in 45 ACP and none of them gave me a bit of problem, and all were fairly accurate once I tuned them. But the DWs I acquired in their place are ORH accurate and three have the grip bob that I have grown to prefer when carrying a 1911.

I can't justify Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, or Nighthawk price levels but IMO and experience the DWs are an effective compromise between entry level and top end / custom 1911s.

Noah
    This is exactly what I think. DW gives you a heck of a bang for the buck. I've always had good success with Colt also.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast