Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default PennDot - Report of Eye Examination Question...

I recently had Cataract Surgery and I can now see without glasses! My doctor filled out a PennDot Report of Examinatiaon form and said get it to PennDot and they will remove my eye glasses requirement. They will send me a card to carry with my drivers license. My question is - I hate to play the stand-in-line, sign-in, wait hours... Does anyone know if I can just mail it into PennDot? If so - who would I mail it to? Thanks!
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 17th, 1790)
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!
    ..: TO SERVE AND PROTECT! Positive Stories :..

(Bucks County)

Default Re: PennDot - Report of Eye Examination Question...

Congrats on the successful outcome!
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    Congrats on the successful outcome!
    Thanks! It is so different - we are the same age and I have worn glasses since age 4. It is cool. Only problem is the Grandkids prefer me wearing glasses.
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!

(Susquehanna County)

Sounds like good news all around! I hope you came through it with 20/15 vision for both reading and distance!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Sounds like good news all around! I hope you came through it with 20/15 vision for both reading and distance!
    Nope - ended up with 20/30 in both eyes which was better then I had with glasses. I need "cheaters" for reading small stuff. I ordered glasses which bring me up to 20/20 in both eyes. Right now - don't plan on using them - having toooo much fun not wearing glasses.

Anyone know if I can mail in my form to PennDot vs playing the stand-in-line game?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&WOwner View Post

Anyone know if I can mail in my form to PennDot vs playing the stand-in-line game?
    I only did a couple of these when I worked for PennDoT, and that was a few years ago. Your local driver license center can't remove a medical restriction, only Harrisburg can do that. Your local center will FAX or scan the form to the medical division in Harrisburg and they will let you and the local license center know electronically that the restriction has been lifted. This could take anywhere from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours depending on how busy they are. To answer your question specifically, I don't know if you can mail it to Harrisburg because if anyone mailed there form in while I worked there I wouldn't know about it (it wouldve just skipped right around me). What I can tell you is, unless they've changed the system in the last 3 years, you won't be able to just walk into your local center and have them issue a card or DL without a nod from Harrisburg first.
    I know it's not exactly what you were looking for but I hope it shed some light.
    The Hostler

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I only did a couple of these when I worked for PennDoT, and that was a few years ago...
    Thanks! I guess I will swing by and pray the lines are short!

Thanks again.

(Montgomery County)

have you seen this website?

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Information-C...Reporting.aspx

From a brief look at the FAQ, it appears the the form CAN be mailed in, but probably not by you - only the licensed medical person. But maybe you can dig around for more info.

BTW, I drove around for years with a "glasses" requirement in both Florida and PA, not wearing glasses or contacts. After a year or two in PA (while in college), I decided to get my PA license and took the test without glasses and passed. I was pulled over a few times before that and never questioned as to why I wasn't wearing glasses.

The only reason why I had the glasses requirement was because when I took the test in FL, nobody suggested that I try the test without them - and thus when I took the test with them and passed, they just assumed I needed the glasses and put that restriction on the DL. Stupid.
    Last edited by Royinmontco; May 18th, 2019 at 08:22 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&WOwner View Post
    Nope - ended up with 20/30 in both eyes which was better then I had with glasses. I need "cheaters" for reading small stuff. I ordered glasses which bring me up to 20/20 in both eyes. Right now - don't plan on using them - having toooo much fun not wearing glasses.

No standing in line required. I did it via USPS a couple of years ago. They send a paper copy similar to the old driver licenses that you carry along with your current license.

It will be updated at the next renewal.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    have you seen this website? https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Information-C...Reporting.aspx From a brief look at the FAQ, it appears the the form CAN be mailed in...
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    No standing in line required. I did it via USPS a couple of years ago. They send a paper copy similar to the old driver licenses that you carry along with your current license. It will be updated at the next renewal.
    Thanks! I just noticed something - on the form it says: Bureau of Driver Licensing • P.O. Box 68682 • Harrisburg, PA 17106-8682 • (717) 787-9662 - called and they are open Monday through Friday. So, will give them a call Monday and see if I can mail it in using their address. Thanks everyone for your help. I will update this thread after I call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast