Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: I want to build a backstop to shoot on my property

I have a friend who did it years ago. He owned a non-working farm, which meant a lot of flat land. He loved shooting. This is a basic description of what he did, or more accurately what he had others build.

He purchased 12 feet long steel posts and use a kind of them to be the support for two walls. The walls were plywood. There was a front wall and a rear wall. They were about 3feet apart. The walls themselves were junk plywood that was not suitable for sale due to,its condition. Between the walls was filed with sand somhe had 3 feet of sand as a backstop. His rifle shooting platform was about 100 yards away. It was elevated to some extent so that bullets would not go over the top of the backstop. Is a bullet actually penetrated the wood and sand it would eventually hit the ground beyond the backstop. I used to shoot my pistols there. The contraption worked. He died about five years ago and his kids sold the property. I lost a good a friend and my outdoor range.

(Tioga County)

You can never have enough backstop.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    O.M.G. This is PaFOA, We don’t have AD(s) only ND(s) exist and We are not negligent ever.

In reality you build a shooting station with baffling that won’t allow shots over the berm and a bullet stopping roof overhead.

Why? Cause shit happens and time don’t go backwards.
    I agree with this.
    OP, if you are shooting in a populated area you need to have overlapping layers of accident prevention.
    If you shoot someone by accident it is game over for you and possibly them, you really need to take that seriously.
    A 6 foot backstop is not tall enough, and baffles should definitely be incorporated in your range build.

Your location says Montco around Philly.
    I am very interested to know where in the greater Philly area you got the ok to set up an outdoor range within relative distance of your neighbors.
    You may want to double check your information just to be sure you are good to go with this.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Bucks County)

I'll pay you $200/year for unrestricted access!
    To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."

(Lancaster County)

what worked for me, I have a heavily wooded property so the material was free, everytime I took down a tree to get some sun to the ground and grow some grass I hauled the logs cut to about 3 feet long and started a stack/wall it's now about 4-5 feet high and 12-15 feet long and starting to rot nicely into a mound at about 12 years, I constantly add to it when trees come down. we only use it for rimfire, sighting in the flintlock, slug guns and occasionally centerfire pistol. I fabbed a bunch of steel spinners and plates from scrap, we can spend hours out there sometimes
    Last edited by SgtRecon; May 16th, 2019 at 10:52 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I agree with this.
    OP, if you are shooting in a populated area you need to have overlapping layers of accident prevention.
    If you shoot someone by accident it is game over for you and possibly them, you really need to take that seriously.
    A 6 foot backstop is not tall enough, and baffles should definitely be incorporated in your range build.

Your location says Montco around Philly.
    I am very interested to know where in the greater Philly area you got the ok to set up an outdoor range within relative distance of your neighbors.
    You may want to double check your information just to be sure you are good to go with this.
    Unless you plan to keep the property forever----what plans are needed NOW to address any lead removal prior to selling? Not to discourage you---just include some thought towards that in your design...................

(Washington County)

Yes, accidents happen, but this isn't the ARFCOM forum so if a guy wants to build a safe backstop on this property for his personal use, go for it.

Before going commercial, I built a backstop similar to this one on my farm, not as wide as this one, mine was only one 8' railroad tie wide. Put as much sand as needed in so it forms a nice 45-angle from front to the back and once a year or two, push the sand back because it will slowly work it's way down. If you maintain that slope, your ties will never have a bullet hole in them and will last a lifetime if you put the bottom ones on a nice bed of gravel.

FYI - do NOT accept payment to allow others to use your range, that opens you up for a whole lot of legal issues as you are now a commercial range.

Last edited by WCMG; May 17th, 2019 at 06:57 AM.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Erie County)

How come she doesn't have an apple on her head?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Yes, accidents happen, but this isn't the ARFCOM forum so if a guy wants to build a safe backstop on this property for his personal use, go for it.

Before going commercial, I built a backstop similar to this one on my farm, not as wide as this one, mine was only one 8' railroad tie wide. Put as much sand as needed in so it forms a nice 45-angle from front to the back and once a year or two, push the sand back because it will slowly work it's way down. If you maintain that slope, your ties will never have a bullet hole in them and will last a lifetime if you put the bottom ones on a nice bed of gravel.

FYI - do NOT accept payment to allow others to use your range, that opens you up for a whole lot of legal issues as you are now a commercial range.

There is a big difference between a farm and a densely populated residential area.
    I based my comments specific to the Montco greater Philly area which is generally not farmland or wooded.
    His mentioning serious issues with noise bothering his neighbors also points to a densely populated area.

There are some exceptions, and maybe he is in one of the few places that has open or wooded land.
    But if he is anywhere I am familiar with, an unchecked shot in any direction has a better than even chance of hitting something or someone.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think significant safety precautions are ARFCOM unreasonable if the circumstances are how I imagine them.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast