Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: I want to build a backstop to shoot on my property

Get a couple deliveries of fill, and shoot your rifles from a slightly elevated height.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    At another property I used old tractor trailer tires stacked 6 high 2 rows deep staggering the rows between the stacks like bowling pins and packed full with dirt. Never had a rifle round exit the tires, even 7.62x54R. Of course you won't want to send one over the backstop. I was also 2 miles from anything behind this as well. You can find used tractor trailer tires pretty easily if you ask around.
    That'll work just be aware that some lower powered cartridges might bounce back at you. 18" of soil will stop most rifle rounds. But be sure it is pretty free of stones. You might even consider using frangible ammo, a choice that might permit you to use heavy timbers like railroad ties. I don't recommend railroad ties for use as a primary backstop for live ammo. The MPs at Camp Bonifas complained that their 9mm NATO bullets bounced back at them on their pistol range. You could always use wooden timbers to build a 3 sided "bin' and fill the bin with soil. Periodically you could even screen the soil and recover expended bullets to recover the metal. I do recommend at least an 8' height.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Quite a few years ago my agency built a range with a 40' tall berm. We got the plans for free from the NRA. I would check with them.
    As an aside, you know most cops could f-up a bowling ball- sure enough, one launched a Fed. .308M round over the berm when his rifle was resting on the bipod.
    It hit a porch railing and bounced through a plate window into an occupied living room. Scared the hell out of the homeowner.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Get a couple deliveries of fill, and shoot your rifles from a slightly elevated height.
    Throw in some grass seed to preserve it in the rain and snow

(Allegheny County)

There are quite a few organizations that publish range building guidelines. Here is one:

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/fi...n_Criteria.pdf

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I mention the height due to the very real possibility of an accidental discharge where your gun is pointed over the berm, pretty easy to do if you aren't shooting from an elevated position. A couple of years ago some guys in Lancaster county got nailed because they were shooting and one of the rounds ended up going through a window and paralyzing someone who was a considerable distance away.
    O.M.G. This is PaFOA, We don’t have AD(s) only ND(s) exist and We are not negligent ever.

In reality you build a shooting station with baffling that won’t allow shots over the berm and a bullet stopping roof overhead.

Why? Cause shit happens and time don’t go backwards.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    At another property I used old tractor trailer tires stacked 6 high 2 rows deep staggering the rows between the stacks like bowling pins and packed full with dirt. Never had a rifle round exit the tires, even 7.62x54R. Of course you won't want to send one over the backstop. I was also 2 miles from anything behind this as well. You can find used tractor trailer tires pretty easily if you ask around.
    Old car tires work well when put together like this. Go as high and wide as you want. Make sure you use either sand or clean fill with no big rocks that bullets will ricochet off of.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Banks View Post
    Throw in some grass seed to preserve it in the rain and snow
    ...and frame the fill on three sides with RR ties, to hold the soil.

Stacked tires filled with screening work great, but your yard will look like Sanford & Son, so don’t use them.

I'll second this motion ..make some of your own fill...get a back hoe ..dig it out some and build up where you will shoot from.... having a personal range is great enough to be done well

(Perry County)

I quit using my 200 yard range because I wasn't comfortable with the 6' high backstop. Yes, shit happens. I was shooting my 7.62 and had 2 bumpfires on my new 100 yard range. Fortunately, that has 15-20 feet of hill behind it and then a lot trees and no houses for a few miles. It would take a lot more fuck-up to endanger someone. It's an uncomfortable feeling wondering where that bullet might have gone.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast