Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Lending/borrowing a handgun for target practice

Hello, first timer here, hopefully this it the correct area to post.

My question is:

Can I lend my gun to my nephew (or for that matter anyone), in Pennsylvania, to go to a target range without me being present? We both are residents of PA . If I understand correctly, in Pennsylvania the recipient must have a "License to Carry" permit to receive this lent/borrowed firearm. Is that the only restriction? Of course the person who is borrowing must be lawfully allowed to own a gun and transport it lawfully to and from the range. He does own his own firearm and does have a License to Carry in PA. If one does not have a "License to Carry" then they cannot lawfully accept/borrow a gun for target shooting, is this correct?
    (referring to title 18 #6115)

Thank you

John

(Washington County)

Default Re: Lending/borrowing a handgun for target practice

Provided it is not an NFA item, your understanding is correct.

(Bucks County)

I have probably violated this law a few times. On an outdoor pistol range, swap pistols with the guy in the next lane briefly as a try something different. I guess they can make a federal case out of it. Anything to help protect the public from criminals, right?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I have probably violated this law a few times. On an outdoor pistol range, swap pistols with the guy in the next lane briefly as a try something different. I guess they can make a federal case out of it. Anything to help protect the public from criminals, right?
    As long as you are still present, I don't know that this applies.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the reply and confirmation.

Another question, if for any reason the borrower is stopped by the authorities, and a check on the borrowed gun is performed, could there be any consequences perhaps because of a different owners name, like could it be confiscated? I know in PA guns do not have to be registered, but of course have to be transferred or purchase legally so there has to be a name associated I guess with every gun.

(Bucks County)

Many guns were purchased or received prior to 1968, the year all the gun control bullshit started in general. (full auto restrictions date to 1934).

First and Second World War veterans held bring-backs or issued military guns, and eventually passed them on to wives, offspring or grandkids, none on record as belonging to XXXXX.

People who moved in from other states, even today, may have guns that were never recorded anywhere.

Police have been known to hold guns for investigation when running the serial number does not bring up a registered owner name. That usually entails their contacting BATFE (ATF) for a search from manufacturer on, while you wait without your gun for the results.

That particular problem has been diminishing, hopefully, but don't count on it.

As a practical matter, do not carry a handgun having value or sentimental value if it has no record of sale at the Penna State Police firearms unit.

Incidentally, that PSP "record of sale" file goes back to 1923!
    Last edited by Bang; May 13th, 2019 at 11:00 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Thanks for the reply and confirmation.

Another question, if for any reason the borrower is stopped by the authorities, and a check on the borrowed gun is performed, could there be any consequences perhaps because of a different owners name, like could it be confiscated? I know in PA guns do not have to be registered, but of course have to be transferred or purchase legally so there has to be a name associated I guess with every gun.
    Yes, it is possible, depending upon the day, and the officer, and his/her understanding of the record of sales database/ pseudo-registry.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    A "check on the borrowed gun", requires probable cause to effect any search, which requires a bit more than just a suspicion that the gun in question was stolen or otherwise illegally obtained.