Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Thumbs up Went to Targetmaster Today

A friend and I went to Targetmaster today (they are in SE PA in Chadds Ford (Rt. 202 just north of Delaware)).

My friend wanted to try out & sight in his Bushmaster M4 with an Eotech holo sight, and I wanted to try out my new Sig 226. I also shot my M4 & a 22 pistol.

Ordinarily I don't shoot here b/c it is further away than my regular ranges, also b/c of range nazis and unsafe idiots on the range causing the R/Os to be overzealous, but it seemed like the best place to shoot a variety of weapons. They sell frangible .223 at a reasonable price so you can shoot it indoors. The ammo worked perfectly in our rifles and had no failures after shooting 120 rounds.

I will say I was impressed and I had a very good experience today. We were on the range quickly and the R/O helped my friend by providing a rest to shoot his M4 from while sighting it in. They put us all the way at the end in a smaller section, which was good b/c they knew we were shooting loud rifles, so this wouldn't disturb as many people. The range was very busy with most if not all lanes occupied. The R/o only came over when I was shooting rapid fire with my 22 auto or when I was dumping 50 rounds in 60 seconds (using 3 mags) from my new Sig. A lot of idiots can't handle their weapons and end up hitting the target carrier, but when he saw I was on target and not a problem he did not lecture me or tell me to slow it down. The few times I walked the length of the range observing people shoot it was all very orderly and people were having a good time, nothing unsafe going on, the R/o was really on top of it without going nuts.

We had such a great time, my only regret is that it went by too quickly.

(York County)

Default Re: Went to Targetmaster Today

I'll agree it's a good place to shoot - stopped out there on a weekend trip and had a good session. Friendly staff behind the counter, same with the RO's - who actually watch what's going on and will either help or request you leave for hitting the ceiling twice....

Had a yahoo beside me that pinged one short of the backstop off the ceiling baffle. RO politely told him that he needed to be careful, one more would get him a pass for the day outside the range.

BANG! PING!

"Sir, please unload your weapon and follow me - the safety of the other shooters is paramount here. Thank you..."

Two thumbs up from me!

(Delaware County)

Glad you had a good experience there, one of the range officers is a very good friend of mine. He has been accused of being strict, but that beats getting shot IMHO. They do enforce the "hit the carrier rule" pretty strict!
    NRA for life.

(Delaware County)

I go there for indoor stuff. I don't know why you can't bring your own frangible. I'd go there a lot more if you could.

Here is the link for anyone who doesn't know it:

www.targetmaster.com

(Chester County)

I was there today. There was some guy there with some full auto ARs and a revolver. That's all that I saw, but it was stupid. He was shooting so fast and looked almost like he was running around trying to reload quickly so he could keep on going. His son was there too and kinda looked like he was just pointing the gun downrange and pulling the trigger. Kinda made me uneasy, but that's what I get for going Saturday afternoon.

The shop is decent for sure, but they wouldn't let me shoot WWB because "it is unreliable and the cost is undercutting us." Their .45 UMC = 13.99/50 and WWB = 27.00/100... I bought my gun there, I'd hope they'd be ok with it, but then again I do see their point. But now that prices have gone up, it's only $1/box difference... For a $1, I can help them out I guess.

Got 150 more rounds thru the XD45 without a hiccup. The more I shoot it, the better I like it!!

Top it all off with my permit to carry coming in the mail today! Was a good day

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclesam099 View Post
    "it is unreliable and the cost is undercutting us."
    Translation: "the cost is undercutting us."

(Bucks County)

The shop is decent for sure, but they wouldn't let me shoot WWB because "it is unreliable and the cost is undercutting us." Their .45 UMC = 13.99/50 and WWB = 27.00/100... I bought my gun there, I'd hope they'd be ok with it, but then again I do see their point.
    I just have a few questions:

1. You said you bought your gun there. So you were shooting a gun that you owned, correct? It wasn't range property, I assume?

2. Do you pay any sort of fee to use the lanes? Is there a range fee that is daily/hourly/etc? Do you have a paid membership?

it is unreliable
    I appreciate your concern for my gun, thanks.

and the cost is undercutting us
    Welcome to a free-market economy. You're welcome to compete to the best of your ability.

If it's my gun and I'm paying to use your range... I'll shoot spitballs and bottle rockets out of my pistol if I so desire. Safety (eg: blowing up guns) and damage (eg: penetrating backstops) are the only ammo-specific arguments that hold water under those circumstances. But maybe that's just me... I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Arcana71; November 19th, 2008 at 04:08 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana71 View Post
    I just have a few questions:

1. You said you bought your gun there. So you were shooting a gun that you owned, correct? It wasn't range property, I assume?

Correct, shooting MY personal gun that I bought there

2. Do you pay any sort of fee to use the lanes? Is there a range fee that is daily/hourly/etc? Do you have a paid membership?
    $15/1 person, $22/me and my bro to share the time. You can pay for memberships and stuff. www.targetmaster.com is their site and has the info.

I appreciate your concern for my gun, thanks.

Welcome to a free-market economy. You're welcome to compete to the best of your ability.

If it's my gun and I'm paying to use your range... I'll shoot spitballs and bottle rockets out of my pistol if I so desire. Safety (eg: blowing up guns) and damage (eg: penetrating backstops) are the only ammo-specific arguments that hold water under those circumstances. But maybe that's just me... I could be wrong.
    Arcana, I agree. I don't like the policy, but I didn't make it. Plus, if I want self defense ammo, they have it and Walmart doesn't.
    Last edited by unclesam099; November 19th, 2008 at 03:10 PM.

(Carbon County)

I.

but they wouldn't let me shoot WWB because "it is unreliable and the cost is undercutting us." Their .45 UMC = 13.99/50 and WWB = 27.00/100...
    Wait...that just doesnt make any logical sense...they tell you you cant use it but they SELL it?!?!? (even after Jan price hike WWB is $14.56 everyday at WallyWorld and totally reliable).

That statement would probably cause me to reply with profanity just out of shock!! If I pay for a range I darn well use ANY commercial ammo! Dont let em bend you over!
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
    Wait...that just doesnt make any logical sense...they tell you you cant use it but they SELL it?!?!? (even after Jan price hike WWB is $14.56 everyday at WallyWorld and totally reliable).

That statement would probably cause me to reply with profanity just out of shock!! If I pay for a range I darn well use ANY commercial ammo! Dont let em bend you over!
    Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear...

Targetmaster charges $13.99/50 of UMC. (x 2 = 27.98)

Walmart has WWB for $26.96/100.

Plus tax on both, obviously. But still, it's a $1.00 difference. I could see it that they don't let you shoot Blazer Brass ($10.97/50 at Walmart), but that's still only $2 difference per 50.

I do see their side of things. And helping out my local shop vs. Walmart is a good thing. So I didn't complain much, but I have to find backstop to put this box into

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast