Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    ....who I know will not treasure it like I do. What should I do with it ?
    How old are they, take them to the range and give them the memories that will cherish it. Or how about a parent, is one of their parents able to hold onto it until they are ready to cherish it?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDshoots View Post
    WOW! Did you send her a message I'll give you 20 buck for them?
    No, once I give something away, it no longer has any bearing on my life. I did however make note that she gets no guns in my will. I’ve got some nice collector pieces in the safe, but my only child wants nothing to do with guns. EVIL machines of death! Her boyfriend, pretty serious, is on a full-ride scholarship to Georgetown Law School, and he is open to going to the gun range with me someday, but I’m fairly certain if I will them to him and her, they will wind up at a gun buyback. Damned shame to have valuable items you can’t leave to an only heir.
    I guess I’ll sell them off as I get older.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    I have a Winchester model 62 shooting gallery type gun. I have five grandsons who I know will not treasure it like I do. What should I do with it ?
    Shitty situation for sure. I always get pissed when I see authentic soldiers medals especially purple hearts for sale at military shows. Unless the father/Grandfather was a child molester or beat their kids everyday how the Hell can someone just sell of things like that?

I'm lucky to have a 7 year old son who loves everything about my firearms especially the old ones and he has already chosen what's going to be his one day. I hope you can find a fitting solution to this situation.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    No, once I give something away, it no longer has any bearing on my life. I did however make note that she gets no guns in my will. I’ve got some nice collector pieces in the safe, but my only child wants nothing to do with guns. EVIL machines of death! Her boyfriend, pretty serious, is on a full-ride scholarship to Georgetown Law School, and he is open to going to the gun range with me someday, but I’m fairly certain if I will them to him and her, they will wind up at a gun buyback. Damned shame to have valuable items you can’t leave to an only heir.
    I guess I’ll sell them off as I get older.
    I'm up for an adult adoption. I'll be the gun loving child you never had!
    To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."

There's a concept in the law about the dead hand of the past, where people want to control what the living do, after the oldest family member dies. The law hates that. It's natural, it's why people draft wills, and give their kids assets while the older folks are still alive. But it seldom works.

It's what I tell people who call me to set up trusts for their guns, so their kids can take their NFA toys to the range. First off, check with the kids and see if that's going to be a thing. YOUR hobby is not necessarily going to be the hobby of the next generation or two. You may love crafting handloads and sitting at a bench trying to tighten groups, but your grandkids grew up in a different world, with limited attention spans and deficient real-world social skills.

Enjoy your gun while you live. Sell it when you lose interest, because somebody who pays what it's worth is 1,000 times more likely to appreciate it than your granddaughter who would sell it to upgrade her smart phone.

I go to flea markets and auctions, and see people's cherished things sell for pennies. Their wedding album? Worthless. Pics of great-great-grandma who fought Indians? Trashed. Your treasures will be treated like a library being sacked by the Mongol Horde. Get used to the idea. Live your life for you, don't try to pressure your heirs into carrying on your hobbies after you're dead.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Franklin County)

If the grand kids are young they probably just don't appreciate the old days yet.
    If you aren't quite ready to kick the bucket yet, and they are still young, just hold on to it as long as you can. Hopefully when you have to finally turn it over to them, they will be old enough to want it.
    The Hostler

(Chester County)

You didn't mention your grandson's ages. If they're young who knows what their interests will develop into, so maybe hold on to it for a while longer.

If money is an issue then sell it for what it's worth. If it were me, I would probably gift it to someone who will cherish it as much as I do, blood or not.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Allegheny County)

I like the way you think. You're right, I think going to sell it because whoever buys it, will want it and have the fun I had with it......

(Dauphin County)

I'd like to think that my son will enjoy shooting when he's old enough. Right now he's only 1 year and 3 months old. I already know what my wife will do with them when I go, she said she'd get rid of them.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Allegheny County)

5 Kids range between 14 to 25 yrs old.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast