Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Suppressor Cleaning

It’s stainless and it comes apart. Either ultrasonic bath or that toxic mixture to dissolve lead you can find on any suppressor site. Get on reddit and go /nfa, look and you will find everything you need to know. Good idea to do this before your first shot. Learn from people who had baffle strikes. Learn about ablating materials.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    It’s stainless and it comes apart. Either ultrasonic bath or that toxic mixture to dissolve lead you can find on any suppressor site. Get on reddit and go /nfa, look and you will find everything you need to know. Good idea to do this before your first shot. Learn from people who had baffle strikes. Learn about ablating materials.
    Does it? It looks like one of those welded tubeless designs to me...

If it's welded and tubeless, I stand by my original "don't worry about it too much" statement. Clean the mount and wherever it goes in, but there's not much you can do outside of that. I personally would not ultrasonic clean that baffle/tube setup, but I suppose the dip is fine.

It welded and tubeless. No instructions in manual, just instructions for the kind that come apart.

Looks like I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks all!
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Does it? It looks like one of those welded tubeless designs to me...

If it's welded and tubeless, I stand by my original "don't worry about it too much" statement. Clean the mount and wherever it goes in, but there's not much you can do outside of that. I personally would not ultrasonic clean that baffle/tube setup, but I suppose the dip is fine.
    Where it talked about wrench flats I misread and thought it was for disassembly.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Where it talked about wrench flats I misread and thought it was for disassembly.
    It does have flats on the QD mechanism for freeing it if stuck.

post a review for us

what calibers you plan on using it for?
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    post a review for us

what calibers you plan on using it for?
    300 blk

My Sig MCX 9" suppressed 300 BLK SBR is going to be my new HD firearm.

(Centre County)

Unless you shoot a lot of cast rifle bullets you really don't need to clean a rifle suppressor (other than a .22rifle and most of those suppressors were designed to come apart because of how dirty .22 ammo is). If you really think you HAVE to clean it, you can put it in an ultrasonic cleaner. I don't know of any finishes on a suppressor that will be affected by the UC. Or, just plug the muzzle end and fill it it any standard bore cleaner, Ed's Red, etc. Let it sit for however long you want (I recommend a day) then dump it out and refill with acetone and shake it around (to absorb the solvent that remains) and then empty and blow it out with compressed air. Then let it set a day to insure that all the remaining liquid evaporates. You do not want to shoot a suppressor that has more than a few drops of liquid in it. If you do, the suppressor may be going back to the mfg for repair. On suppressors that say you can run them "wet" (to help with first round pop) read VERY closely on their definition of "wet", normally that is just a few drops of a light weight liquid in the muzzle section of the suppressor. "Wet" does not mean fill the suppressor with a liquid and shoot it - remember liquids don't like to be compressed and the material and gases coming out of a firearm display fluid characteristics, that's why a lot of suppressor designers/engineers are trained in fluid dynamics.

Here is a primer on shooting a suppressor "wet": https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...uppressor-wet/ I agree with everything in the report except the last seven words (Sorry, Silencer Shop is not necessarily known for being experts just because they sell a bunch of suppressors.)
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

You don't have to clean them?

Literally the very first positive thing I can note in my "reasons to want a suppressor" column.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You don't have to clean them?

Literally the very first positive thing I can note in my "reasons to want a suppressor" column.

Other than .22 suppressors (they get dirty because of being all lead, and fairly soft lead at that and don't efficiently burn all the powder). Shooting jacketed bullets and the way the powder is burnt, most everything is expelled from the suppressor. Yes there will be some particulate matter left in them but it normally will not build up. You can rinse them out, as I stated, but I know people who have shot thousands of rounds through a suppressed SBR and never cleaned the suppressor and have seen no degradation in the functionality of the suppressor.

That said, there are suppressor manufacturers who are now making centerfire suppressors that can be taken apart to make cleaning easier for those that feel the need to do so.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; May 13th, 2019 at 02:01 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast