Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Vacation in Ohio

We are vacationing at lake Erie in Ohio. I have looked online regarding carry laws and had a few questions:

#1--is duty to inform only when in a motor vehicle or any time you encounter an officer?

#2-- are no weapons signs enforceable by law? See conflicting laws if you were "unaware" of the sign but are cooperative.

#3--- I can't have a glass of wine while Carrying in a restaurant?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Vacation in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    We are vacationing at lake Erie in Ohio. I have looked online regarding carry laws and had a few questions:

#1--is duty to inform only when in a motor vehicle or any time you encounter an officer?

#2-- are no weapons signs enforceable by law? See conflicting laws if you were "unaware" of the sign but are cooperative.

#3--- I can't have a glass of wine while Carrying in a restaurant?
    1. Encounter an officer during official business.
    2. Yes, they have a specific force of law(whereas PA falls under trespass).
    3. No drinking while carrying. You can go into un-signed establishments that serve, but you cannot drink.

Don't let the sign thing worry you. Typically it is only leftist corporations/businesses that put up the signs, which you wouldn't want to spend money at anyways. I rarely see them in OH. I usually do a driveby of the door and look, if I don't see a sign - time for business. If I miss the sign during the driveby, but see it as I walk up to the door - I just find some place else.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Thanks for your reply. One last question...if I'm on a beach or public area enjoying a glass of wine with my wife is that also illegal while carrying or only in an establishment that serves and sells alcohol.

As you can see, I like wine.

(Bucks County)

The whole "duty to inform" really changes things....

The app CCW for Iphone and android has each state and their laws broken down for every possible carry permit, it's undated on a weekly basis as well. I have tried to find bad or missing info on this app for years and haven't.

I remember it being $1.00 for the app.

(Jefferson County)

Thanks for your reply. One last question...if I'm on a beach or public area enjoying a glass of wine with my wife is that also illegal while carrying or only in an establishment that serves and sells alcohol.

As you can see, I like wine.
    I'm not sure about this. If on public domain - I would be hesitant. If on private/leased/rented - maybe not so much. If the location is any portion of property of a place that is licensed to sell for consumption - NO(example: like the beach/deck area of a motel that has a lounge that has a bar).

The whole "duty to inform" really changes things....
    I wouldn't worry about this if you don't break the law. If an officer approaches, just say "I have a license to carry the firearm on my person."

We regularly go to Cleveland, and OH's laws hasn't been a problem ever for me. Never stopped by the police.. ..and rarely see signs.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

2923.121 Possession of firearm in beer liquor permit premises - prohibition, exceptions.
    (A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming beer or intoxicating liquor in a premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued.

(B)

(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An officer, agent, or employee of this or any other state or the United States, or a law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry firearms and is acting within the scope of the officer's, agent's, or employee's duties;

(b) A law enforcement officer or investigator who is authorized to carry firearms but is not acting within the scope of the officer's or investigator's duties, as long as all of the following apply:

(i) The officer or investigator is carrying validating identification.

(ii) If the firearm the officer or investigator possesses is a firearm issued or approved by the law enforcement agency served by the officer or by the bureau of criminal identification and investigation with respect to an investigator, the agency or bureau does not have a restrictive firearms carrying policy.

(iii) The officer or investigator is not consuming beer or intoxicating liquor and is not under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse.

(c) Any room used for the accommodation of guests of a hotel, as defined in section 4301.01 of the Revised Code;

(d) The principal holder of a D permit issued for a premises or an open air arena under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code while in the premises or open air arena for which the permit was issued if the principal holder of the D permit also possesses a valid concealed handgun license and as long as the principal holder is not consuming beer or intoxicating liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse, or any agent or employee of that holder who also is a peace officer, as defined in section 2151.3515 of the Revised Code, who is off duty, and who otherwise is authorized to carry firearms while in the course of the officer's official duties and while in the premises or open air arena for which the permit was issued and as long as the agent or employee of that holder is not consuming beer or intoxicating liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse.

(e) Any person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license or any person who is an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States and is carrying a valid military identification card and documentation of successful completion of firearms training that meets or exceeds the training requirements described in division (G)(1) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, as long as the person is not consuming beer or intoxicating liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse.

(2) This section does not prohibit any person who is a member of a veteran's organization, as defined in section 2915.01 of the Revised Code, from possessing a rifle in any room in any premises owned, leased, or otherwise under the control of the veteran's organization, if the rifle is not loaded with live ammunition and if the person otherwise is not prohibited by law from having the rifle.

(3) This section does not apply to any person possessing or displaying firearms in any room used to exhibit unloaded firearms for sale or trade in a soldiers' memorial established pursuant to Chapter 345. of the Revised Code, in a convention center, or in any other public meeting place, if the person is an exhibitor, trader, purchaser, or seller of firearms and is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing, trading, purchasing, or selling the firearms.

(C) It is an affirmative defense to a charge under this section of illegal possession of a firearm in a liquor permit premises that involves the possession of a firearm other than a handgun, that the actor was not otherwise prohibited by law from having the firearm, and that any of the following apply:

(1) The firearm was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes, while the actor was engaged in or was going to or from the actor's lawful business or occupation, which business or occupation was of such character or was necessarily carried on in such manner or at such a time or place as to render the actor particularly susceptible to criminal attack, such as would justify a prudent person in going armed.

(2) The firearm was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes, while the actor was engaged in a lawful activity, and had reasonable cause to fear a criminal attack upon the actor or a member of the actor's family, or upon the actor's home, such as would justify a prudent person in going armed.

(D) No person who is charged with a violation of this section shall be required to obtain a concealed handgun license as a condition for the dismissal of the charge.

(E) Whoever violates this section is guilty of illegal possession of a firearm in a liquor permit premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, illegal possession of a firearm in a liquor permit premises is a felony of the fifth degree. If the offender commits the violation of this section by knowingly carrying or having the firearm concealed on the offender's person or concealed ready at hand, illegal possession of a firearm in a liquor permit premises is a felony of the third degree.

(F) As used in this section:

(1) "Beer" and "intoxicating liquor" have the same meanings as in section 4301.01 of the Revised Code.

(2) "Investigator" has the same meaning as in section 109.541 of the Revised Code.

(3) "Restrictive firearms carrying policy" means a specific policy of a law enforcement agency or the bureau of criminal identification and investigation that prohibits all officers of the agency or all investigators of the bureau, while not acting within the scope of the officer's or investigator's duties, from doing either of the following:

(a) Carrying a firearm issued or approved by the agency or bureau in any room, premises, or arena described in division (A) of this section;

(b) Carrying a firearm issued or approved by the agency or bureau in premises described in division (A) of section 2923.1214 of the Revised Code.

(4) "Law enforcement officer" has the same meaning as in section 9.69 of the Revised Code.

(5) "Validating identification" means one of the following:

(a) Photographic identification issued by the law enforcement agency for which an individual serves as a law enforcement officer that identifies the individual as a law enforcement officer of the agency;

(b) Photographic identification issued by the bureau of criminal identification and investigation that identifies an individual as an investigator of the bureau.

Amended by 132nd General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 228, §1, eff. 3/28/2019.

Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 199, §1, eff. 3/21/2017.

Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.190, HB 495, §1, eff. 3/27/2013.

Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.34, SB 17, §1, eff. 9/30/2011.

Effective Date: 04-08-2004; 03-14-2007; 2008 SB184 09-09-2008.

Personally when visiting states that get uptight over alcohol and carrying, I tend to assume consuming any alcohol consumption while carrying may heavily weigh against me regardless of the circumstances, and tend to adjust expectations accordingly.
    Last edited by God's Country; May 8th, 2019 at 12:25 PM.

(Berks County)

I don’t like the idea of being involved in a justifiable shoot with any level of alcohol consumption. This is one reason I have trouble finding the right time to imbibe. I either might want to drive or handle a gun. I’m just putting this out there and not implying anyone else’s actions are wrong. We are all adults. We all get to make choices. Freedom baby! And responsibilities.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Typically we'll sit on the deck and have a glass of wine. I do like to sit down by any body of water and sip one glass of wine or a weak mojito. If I do I'll leave the forearm locked in my case. It will save me money only having a drink at the home in the long run.

(York County)

The whole thing is insane. It really is. I challenge any Ohio cop to know, understand and apply these laws justifiably. Obviously, the last parameter is the killer every time the others aren't.

Oh, wait. I forgot. They don't owe me anything. It is we who owe them all. Scuze me while I go puke a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast