Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Adams County)

Default Re: Vacation in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    We are vacationing at lake Erie in Ohio. I have looked online regarding carry laws and had a few questions:

#1--is duty to inform only when in a motor vehicle or any time you encounter an officer?

#2-- are no weapons signs enforceable by law? See conflicting laws if you were "unaware" of the sign but are cooperative.

#3--- I can't have a glass of wine while Carrying in a restaurant?
    I am also a PA resident who goes to Ohio up along Lake Erie. As a practical matter, I found that Ohio seems to have a lot more places that prohibit firearms on the premises, both by statute and by choice of the owner/occupier of a premises. If you go to church in Ohio, you're a sitting duck unless you have permission from the minister to carry a firearm in the church. In Ohio, forget about having a beer in the American Legion or VFW if you are carrying a firearm. As far as owner/occupier policy, it seems like I run into a lot more private establishments in Ohio compared to PA that post against carrying a firearm on the premises. So unless you are very familiar with the business establishments where you are in Ohio, your chances of running into a establishment that bans firearms is rather high. Just last week my brother and I went to a junk yard in Ohio and there was a big sign that stated that firearms were prohibited, so I had to walk all the way back to the car on bad knees to put my carry vest in the trunk of the car so I wouldn't be violating the law. Good thing I did because there was a Cleveland cop in the building.

I can tell you from carrying in OH for a while that it is NOT pro-carry.

There are so many places posted that you can't carry, you end up never being able to carry.

Car carry is a bunch of BS too; OH manages to include laws that make it a complicated legal trap also.

Make sure you telepathically tell the cop you are carrying as soon as you see the police car because if you use the word "gun" its a threat and if you don't then you are failing to inform.

There was some absurd case about notification a few years back. And under most circumstances I consider myself pro-LEO.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post

There are so many places posted that you can't carry, you end up never being able to carry.

Car carry is a bunch of BS too; OH manages to include laws that make it a complicated legal trap also.

Make sure you telepathically tell the cop you are carrying as soon as you see the police car because if you use the word "gun" its a threat and if you don't then you are failing to inform.

There was some absurd case about notification a few years back. And under most circumstances I consider myself pro-LEO.
    You have exactly described my experience with carrying in Ohio. When I go to visit my brother in Ohio I have found I might as well forget about carrying while I am staying at his house.

The case I believe you are thinking about is not absurd, it is absolutely horrid. Go to Google and put in "Canton Ohio cop abuses concealed carry permit holder" and watch the video showing the cop verbally abusing and threatening the carry permit holder who is trying to present his carry permit to the cop in order to comply with the law. It will make you think about notifying anybody that you are carrying concealed when you are not legally required to.

In what way is car carry "a bunch of BS"? When is the last time you reviewed Ohio law? According to the OHP, the law is so lax, if you have a valid credential, you can "drive down the highway twirling your pistol on your finger". Now admittedly they're anti-gun dicks, but apparently you haven't kept up with Ohio CCW law.

BTW: I see relatively few posted businesses in the western suburbs of Cleveland, and there are few statutory CPZs.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    In what way is car carry "a bunch of BS"? When is the last time you reviewed Ohio law? According to the OHP, the law is so lax, if you have a valid credential, you can "drive down the highway twirling your pistol on your finger". Now admittedly they're anti-gun dicks, but apparently you haven't kept up with Ohio CCW law.

BTW: I see relatively few posted businesses in the western suburbs of Cleveland, and there are few statutory CPZs.
    I carried (or more accurately - didn't carry) there a lot 2004-2006.

"Secured and in plain sight" as in "locked in a closed container and visible to the arresting <sarcasm> officer". Or you can carry it on your person but then you have to take it on and off every time you enter and exit your vehicle. I spent most of my time around Toledo and Cleveland. Almost every convenience store, chain store, grocery store mall and restaurant was posted. Where else do you go? Pretty much the only place I think I could carry was WalMart, but not Sam's because Sam's sold cases of beer. Oh, and Cleland's. I could carry there.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post

It must be different in the eastern suburbs. When my dad was in his last year of life every medical facility he was in banned firearms. So many places are posted around where my brother lives in the eastern suburbs that I don't dare carry. And by statute, firearms are prohibited in every church, mosque and synagogue unless specifically permitted. And by statute, I can't go into the VFW or American Legion and have a beer while carrying.

(Elk County)

(in Christopher Walken voice)

I read the thread title . . .

"Vacation in Ohio" . . .

and my first thought was . . .

"Why?"

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

I carried (or more accurately - didn't carry) there a lot 2004-2006.

"Secured and in plain sight" as in "locked in a closed container and visible to the arresting <sarcasm> officer". Or you can carry it on your person but then you have to take it on and off every time you enter and exit your vehicle. I spent most of my time around Toledo and Cleveland. Almost every convenience store, chain store, grocery store mall and restaurant was posted. Where else do you go? Pretty much the only place I think I could carry was WalMart, but not Sam's because Sam's sold cases of beer. Oh, and Cleland's. I could carry there.
    Literally NONE of that is currently true and hasn't been for quite some time.

NONE of the grocery stores or big box stores I go to are posted. The only restaurant nearby that I know to be posted is BW3. No restaurant, fast food or sit down I patronize is posted.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I don’t like the idea of being involved in a justifiable shoot with any level of alcohol consumption. This is one reason I have trouble finding the right time to imbibe. I either might want to drive or handle a gun. I’m just putting this out there and not implying anyone else’s actions are wrong. We are all adults. We all get to make choices. Freedom baby! And responsibilities.
    Light up a doobie instead. It's much safer I heard.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12