Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Do all 1911's have a grip safety????

JMB's original design did not have a grip safety. It was added at the request of the U.S. Army.

1911 (style) guns are ever so popular now, and yes there are variations I remember seeing that had no safely grip or modified safety grips. There is an insert with beavertail that is one piece that with modifications can remove the “safety” but more people are confused by 1911 clone type guns. I have had people say I have a nice “1911” yet it is a CZ 75.

Browning, when he made the 1911 style gun started off the Browning Models and worked towards a Colt. The Models 1905 to 1907 look some what similar to the 1911 and have outer looks of a Browning. The High power is a very close look to the 1911 model

As to the CZ models, that are basically copies of the High Power, Most of the internal parts are very different, but the outer look makes many call them “1911” pistols. For the same reason, the 2011 is often confused to the 1911.

The original 1911 design or prototype had no safety on the grip, it is the US military that asked there be a safety there.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Browning 1911 design as accepted by the military all have grip safeties in their design.
    Some foreign country knockoffs do not have that, like the Ballister, and Star, although they can be confused as dead ringers for a 1911 upon a quick look.

(Mercer County)

I have a couple of Detonics Combat Masters (one in .45 ACP and the other is a .38 Super) that don't have a grip safety. I also have many Colts, Kimbers, & Springfield that have the grip safety pinned.
    J. Moses Browning, the designer and father of the M1911 designed the this fire arm without a grip-safety and the US government forced the grip safety on Mr. Browning.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    I was showing a co-worker a site for grips I want for my 1911 and he says " Wow, those are cool looking. I've never seen a 1911 with that thing on the grip, what is it?". What? Seriously this guy is usually kinda retarded but everyonce in awhile he says things that make me think. So do they? I thought they did, but this guys got me all beffudled.

Dave
    all "Real" 1911's have that handle safety. The Gun Wont fire unless your holding it firmly.

Tony "Fabio"

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    1911 (style) guns are ever so popular now, and yes there are variations I remember seeing that had no safely grip or modified safety grips. There is an insert with beavertail that is one piece that with modifications can remove the “safety” but more people are confused by 1911 clone type guns. I have had people say I have a nice “1911” yet it is a CZ 75.

Browning, when he made the 1911 style gun started off the Browning Models and worked towards a Colt. The Models 1905 to 1907 look some what similar to the 1911 and have outer looks of a Browning. The High power is a very close look to the 1911 model

As to the CZ models, that are basically copies of the High Power, Most of the internal parts are very different, but the outer look makes many call them “1911” pistols. For the same reason, the 2011 is often confused to the 1911.

The original 1911 design or prototype had no safety on the grip, it is the US military that asked there be a safety there.
    dont dont see how anyone can say that's a 1911

Tony "Fabio"

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by fabiocrow07770 View Post

Tony "Fabio"
    It's a Hi-Power....the text above the picture is in reference to it.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    It's a Hi-Power....the text above the picture is in reference to it.
    I Know,I'm just saying it looks nothing like a 1911 not even at first glance

Tony "Fabio"

(Chester County)

I Know,I'm just saying it looks nothing like a 1911 not even at first glance

Tony "Fabio"
    Grip angle, thumb safety, SA trigger...not the same, but similar in some respects.

Tony "Fabio"
    Well seeing the 1911 and the High Power are largely based off that same original design Browning had, if you dont see any similarity, you may just need glasses

Last edited by Frenchy; October 12th, 2008 at 09:29 PM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast