Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Huntingdon County)

Default Carry at Penndot

Hello,
    I am a college student and flag on road crews at Penndot in the summer. I'm going on my 3rd year there and had a question. I have dealt with alot of creeps and sketchy people while flagging sometimes in remote places in Huntingdon County. Also, I have had a few bears cross my road near me. I know a 9mm isn't likely to kill one but having it makes me more comfortable than having nothing. I have a legal PA concealed carry permit and carry everywhere else I go except on campus. Is there anyone out there that knows if I can at work in the summer? This question is for myself as well as my girlfriend who is also a flagger and you can imagine being a girl she gets x2 creeps when we flag out in the sticks.
    Thanks

Sorry everyone in advance for reading my long post. Just wanted to get as much detail in as I can.

PS. I have better handguns for bear defense but I prefer to carry my 9mm no suggestions in that aspect. Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Carry at Penndot

Quote Originally Posted by GSI2019 View Post
    Hello,
    I am a college student and flag on road crews at Penndot in the summer. I'm going on my 3rd year there and had a question. I have dealt with alot of creeps and sketchy people while flagging sometimes in remote places in Huntingdon County. Also, I have had a few bears cross my road near me. I know a 9mm isn't likely to kill one but having it makes me more comfortable than having nothing. I have a legal PA concealed carry permit and carry everywhere else I go except on campus. Is there anyone out there that knows if I can at work in the summer? This question is for myself as well as my girlfriend who is also a flagger and you can imagine being a girl she gets x2 creeps when we flag out in the sticks.
    Thanks

Sorry everyone in advance for reading my long post. Just wanted to get as much detail in as I can.

PS. I have better handguns for bear defense but I prefer to carry my 9mm no suggestions in that aspect. Thanks
    If you have your LTCF, then concealed means concealed.

(Erie County)

It is not whether it is legal or not, does your employer allow it?
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Montgomery County)

There's a difference between carrying illegally and carrying in violation of workplace policy. If you carry at your job there may be (and probably is) a policy that would result in your employment termination if discovered. But the cops won't be involved and you can't be arrested, because you're still legally carrying.

So being practical, since this is only a summer job and not a career, I think the downfall of being fired is minimal. You have to weigh the risk/reward. And like someone else mentioned - conceal it well!

As pointed out it's not unlawful, but I would guarantee you'll get canned if caught while on the job. You (and girlfriend) would have to conceal perfectly, and be able to keep your mouth shut about it.
    If you drive yourself to and from your work location every day I would say that would minimize the risk quite a bit.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    There's a difference between carrying illegally and carrying in violation of workplace policy. If you carry at your job there may be (and probably is) a policy that would result in your employment termination if discovered. But the cops won't be involved and you can't be arrested, because you're still legally carrying.

So being practical, since this is only a summer job and not a career, I think the downfall of being fired is minimal. You have to weigh the risk/reward. And like someone else mentioned - conceal it well!
    Not necessarily true, IF you signed a employee handbook/employment agreement and a no weapons clause was in the document then you are technically breaking the law if you carry on the employers property. Defiant trespass comes to mind. IF you signed such a document AND you are caught carrying your employer COULD call the Police and COULD press for charges to be brought.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    Not necessarily true, IF you signed a employee handbook/employment agreement and a no weapons clause was in the document then you are technically breaking the law if you carry on the employers property. Defiant trespass comes to mind. IF you signed such a document AND you are caught carrying your employer COULD call the Police and COULD press for charges to be brought.
    Just out of curiosity...he's working as a flagger during work on public roads. Can they be considered the employers property?
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    Just out of curiosity...he's working as a flagger during work on public roads. Can they be considered the employers property?
    If he is flagging for PennDOT then yes, The State roads are State property.

Concealed is concealed. I wouldn't worry about a summer job.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Elk County)

PennDOT definitely has a 'no weapons' policy for employees. Not to say it hasn't been done but the policy is in place.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast