Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Carry at Penndot

Skeert of a Bear, get some depends.........

(Bucks County)

It's like guns-prohibited jobs in general. It works until discovered, then there goes the job. Also, consider once fired for having a gun, scratch that employer as a reference.

As for disregarding a signed condition of employment rising to a criminal matter, that's an interesting question. Sounds more a civil matter to me.
    Last edited by Bang; May 4th, 2019 at 12:17 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    Not necessarily true, IF you signed a employee handbook/employment agreement and a no weapons clause was in the document then you are technically breaking the law if you carry on the employers property. Defiant trespass comes to mind. IF you signed such a document AND you are caught carrying your employer COULD call the Police and COULD press for charges to be brought.
    Statute, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(York County)

Not necessarily true, IF you signed a employee handbook/employment agreement and a no weapons clause was in the document then you are technically breaking the law if you carry on the employers property. Defiant trespass comes to mind. IF you signed such a document AND you are caught carrying your employer COULD call the Police and COULD press for charges to be brought.
    I’m going to disagree. For the same reasons that Penndot can’t legally post a driving center, they can’t prohibit others from lawfully carrying on state property or the roadway, only from carrying on the job.

Terminated as an employee? Sure. Cited by the police for breaking an employment rule? No chance in hell.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GSI2019 View Post
    Hello,
    I am a college student and flag on road crews at Penndot in the summer. I'm going on my 3rd year there and had a question. I have dealt with alot of creeps and sketchy people while flagging sometimes in remote places in Huntingdon County. Also, I have had a few bears cross my road near me. I know a 9mm isn't likely to kill one but having it makes me more comfortable than having nothing. I have a legal PA concealed carry permit and carry everywhere else I go except on campus. Is there anyone out there that knows if I can at work in the summer? This question is for myself as well as my girlfriend who is also a flagger and you can imagine being a girl she gets x2 creeps when we flag out in the sticks.
    Thanks

Sorry everyone in advance for reading my long post. Just wanted to get as much detail in as I can.

PS. I have better handguns for bear defense but I prefer to carry my 9mm no suggestions in that aspect. Thanks
    It can't be that bad if you're going back for a third year. If you're worried about bears carry bear spray. You're going to deal with creepy sketchy people everyday, that's not a reason to pull a gun. You only pull one if you feel your life is in danger and if you pull it you'd better be ready to use it.

I'm not trying to be a hard ass here, but nothing you've said warrants a firearm. My advice to any young person carrying a firearm is "don't make permanent decisions based on temporary feelings".

If I get out of my car and punch you in the face, you can't shoot me. If I say fuck your flag and drive on, not much you can do about that. If I tell your girlfriend she has a nice ass, how about we get together later she can't do anything. And are you really going to try and shoot a bear on a public road that's probably congested with road repair traffic? That has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard and I'm constantly in New York, so I hear a lot of dumb shit.

This goes beyond the scope of your employment. Fuck your job. Anytime your carrying a firearm, be aware that you're risking your life either in prison or in the ground. Make sure you have it for the right reasons.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Banks View Post
    It can't be that bad if you're going back for a third year. If you're worried about bears carry bear spray. You're going to deal with creepy sketchy people everyday, that's not a reason to pull a gun. You only pull one if you feel your life is in danger and if you pull it you'd better be ready to use it.

I'm not trying to be a hard ass here, but nothing you've said warrants a firearm. My advice to any young person carrying a firearm is "don't make permanent decisions based on temporary feelings".

If I get out of my car and punch you in the face, you can't shoot me. If I say fuck your flag and drive on, not much you can do about that. If I tell your girlfriend she has a nice ass, how about we get together later she can't do anything. And are you really going to try and shoot a bear on a public road that's probably congested with road repair traffic? That has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard and I'm constantly in New York, so I hear a lot of dumb shit.

This goes beyond the scope of your employment. Fuck your job. Anytime your carrying a firearm, be aware that you're risking your life either in prison or in the ground. Make sure you have it for the right reasons.
    I missed the part where he said he'd draw down or shoot a sketch person or bear just for the hell of it.

It really seems to me that you're stating 1) you don't think he has reason enough to want to carry, 2) that he's not responsible enough to have become familiar already with deadly force laws and 3) the risk of carrying outweighs potential benefit.

It is not whether it is legal or not, does your employer allow it?
    You may not like it but here is your answer,In addition If Employer says no and your caught CC there goes your job out the window !

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I missed the part where he said he'd draw down or shoot a sketch person or bear just for the hell of it.

It really seems to me that you're stating 1) you don't think he has reason enough to want to carry, 2) that he's not responsible enough to have become familiar already with deadly force laws and 3) the risk of carrying outweighs potential benefit.
    "I have dealt with alot of creeps and sketchy people while flagging sometimes in remote places in Huntingdon County. Also, I have had a few bears cross my road near me. I know a 9mm isn't likely to kill one but having it makes me more comfortable than having nothing."

Sounds paranoid and not really understanding the ramifications of his actions. 1)I'm stating so what if you come across sketchy people or bears. 2) I don't know how responsible he is or isn't, but advice never hurt anyone and that's what he came here looking for 3) Depends on who you are and how you handle certain situations.

A firearm is a last resort in a series of escalation. I don't carry a firearm because I regularly come across sketchy people and bears, I carry it because it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Chances are, I'm not going to need it. I pay attention to my surroundings and I'll remove myself from a situation it I take to. Ever come across that guy that looks at you and says "fuck are you looking at". Don't engage walk away. Road rage instances, separate yourself from the other vehicle by slowing down or taking a detour. Carrying a firearm doesn't make me feel more secure in these situations because it's all about making smart decisions and using common sense.

Lastly he says he carries everywhere except campus. Are there no sketchy people on campus? Why are the schools rules more important than his employers? And statistically you're more likely to be involved in a school shooting than being attacked by a black bear.
    Last edited by Banks; May 4th, 2019 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Banks View Post
    "I have dealt with alot of creeps and sketchy people while flagging sometimes in remote places in Huntingdon County. Also, I have had a few bears cross my road near me. I know a 9mm isn't likely to kill one but having it makes me more comfortable than having nothing."

Sounds paranoid and not really understanding the ramifications of his actions. 1)I'm stating so what if you come across sketchy people or bears. 2) I don't know how responsible he is or isn't, but advice never hurt anyone and that's what he came here looking for 3) Depends on who you are and how you handle certain situations.

A firearm is a last resort in a series of escalation. I don't carry a firearm because I regularly come across sketchy people and bears, I carry it because it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Chances are, I'm not going to need it. I pay attention to my surroundings and I'll remove myself from a situation it I take to. Ever come across that guy that looks at you and says "fuck are you looking at". Don't engage walk away. Road rage instances, separate yourself from the other vehicle by slowing down or taking a detour. Carrying a firearm doesn't make me feel more secure in these situations because it's all about making smart decisions and using common sense.

Lastly he says he carries everywhere except campus. Are there no sketchy people on campus? Why are the schools rules more important than his employers? And statistically you're more likely to be involved in a school shooting than being attacked by a black bear.
    You're over reacting to his post.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    You're over reacting to his post.
    I most likely am, but it's important to examine every aspect of a question like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast