Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default Thinkiing about parting with my FNP-9M

Hey all. I haven't been active in a while, which I want to change. Like the title says, I am THINKING about parting with my FNP-9M. I've had it since I bought it new back in 2007. It's mainly sitting in a drawer for home defense. I like it, but not for carry because it prints because of my body type. I'm thinking about Either a Taurus or Rock Island Armory 1911 in .45 ACP (compact "Officer's style). My FNP-M has only had 50 rounds through it since I bought it. I just haven't had the time to get to the range because of sick parents, work and just life in general. Anyway, I know the gun is discontinued and, from the various forums I have checked, there are not many up for sale. So, finding a "value" has not been easy. I did buy the model information from bluebook.com which says between $450 for 98% to $525 for 100%. I know trading it in will result in a big hit...I'd be lucky to get $250. But selling online on sites like gunbroker seems to be a lot of hassle. Does anyone sell on gunbroker and is it as complicated as it seems? You have to have an account, which I signed up for. Then, if you don't want to wait for a check or money order, you have to use an online payment service, which I'm sure takes a portion of the sale price. Then you have to find out how to legally ship it and it has to go to an FFL. All that, i can see why some people just trade. Thoughts?

Dave
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Thinkiing about parting with my FNP-9M

Start shooting in IDPA matches near you and use your FNP 9M as a competition piece. It should fit in quite well with the SSP category, plus the competition itself is fun.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

Post an ad in the classifieds here. You'll get a bite and can meet the buyer at an FFL halfway.

Or just keep it and save for a rainy day if you don't need the money right now.

(Lancaster County)

Selling on Gunbroker is really not as hard as you think. You need to find a gun shop or an FFL holder and ask what he would charge to ship it to another FFL. That becomes your shipping price which will be posted in your ad. Gunbroker will take a fee regardless of how you have your buyer pay. I see many sellers post that they will add 3% for credit card fees. I’m not sure what the sellers fee is but I’m sure it’s clearly posted. I’ve only bought guns there, never sold, but after I win one I have to have my receiving FFL contact the sellers FFL and they apparently trade some sort of information. There’s really not that much to it and you get a country wide audience.

In my opinion the two guns that you mentioned would be a step down. I would definitely take a RIA over a Taurus but they’ll both be lacking quality compared to the FN.

If the pistol you have is difficult to come by think long and hard before you sell it. Over the years I’ve let a few go that I have regretted.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Somerset County)

Try to sell local on this forum or Pennswoods. That blue book value is high considering the current market. You can pick up the newer version of that pistol brand new for less than the used value they have listed. You might get $350 for it IMO

(Perry County)

Thanks all for the replies. Yeah, if I decide to part with it, I will probably post it on gunbroker. Everready73, from what I have read on the FN Forum, the 9M is more sought after because it was only made from 2006-2008 and they are apparently not listed for sale online that often. bripro, that doesn't sound that difficult. I guess I just read too much into all of the steps. I have owned 2 Taurus handguns over the years...a PT-92, which I got rid of in lieu of the FNP-9M and a SS model 85 .38 which I still have. jthrelf, yeah...selling local and meeting at an FFL does seem like a simpler option. I'll consider that if and when the time comes.

All that said, I still plan on getting a compact .45 1911. I really do like the RIA, but will look at some others.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special