Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Looking to get into competition in central PA

What kind of match was that?

(Blair County)

The Bellwood match is a 44-stage match:
    1 - Ten rounds fired standing, ten minutes, rounds fired singly.
    2 - Ten rounds fired sitting, 60 seconds, with one rifle reload.
    3 - Ten rounds fired prone, 70 seconds, with one rifle reload.
    4 - Ten rounds fired prone, 10 minutes, rounds fired singly.
    Much like a CMP Match but with broader limits on rifles. All shots are fired with a body-supported rifle, no rests, bipods, or sandbags. All are fired at 100 yard targets. Because of time constraints of Stages 2 & 3 it is best fired by a bolt or semi auto rifle.
    Steve Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWag View Post
    The Bellwood match is a 44-stage match:
    1 - Ten rounds fired standing, ten minutes, rounds fired singly.
    2 - Ten rounds fired sitting, 60 seconds, with one rifle reload.
    3 - Ten rounds fired prone, 70 seconds, with one rifle reload.
    4 - Ten rounds fired prone, 10 minutes, rounds fired singly.
    Much like a CMP Match but with broader limits on rifles. All shots are fired with a body-supported rifle, no rests, bipods, or sandbags. All are fired at 100 yard targets. Because of time constraints of Stages 2 & 3 it is best fired by a bolt or semi auto rifle.
    Steve Wagner
    Got it, I was thinking, since you said 40 shots, you were doing a 4 position match, Standing, Kneeling, Sitting, and Prone.

Thanks for taking this over, I shot at Bellwood some years ago. It was a long drive, especially since it was winter. No other clubs were holding a practice (where scores are not submitted to the CMP or NRA, let alone an approved match. You deserve a pat on the back for taking on the responsibility.
    I did the same at my club and it took about 3 years to get a solid program up and running for a 50 shot match (we do 20 rounds in prone slow fire, the national match course of fire). At first I would get 4 to 6 people show up, now I have to take reservations because we max out the number of firing points available. What really made the program take off was when competitors started to get classification cards from the NRA; there was a goal to work towards rather than just sending rounds down range.

I hope your program continues with good attendance.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
    Got it, I was thinking, since you said 40 shots, you were doing a 4 position match, Standing, Kneeling, Sitting, and Prone.

Thanks for taking this over, I shot at Bellwood some years ago. It was a long drive, especially since it was winter. No other clubs were holding a practice (where scores are not submitted to the CMP or NRA, let alone an approved match. You deserve a pat on the back for taking on the responsibility.
    I did the same at my club and it took about 3 years to get a solid program up and running for a 50 shot match (we do 20 rounds in prone slow fire, the national match course of fire). At first I would get 4 to 6 people show up, now I have to take reservations because we max out the number of firing points available. What really made the program take off was when competitors started to get classification cards from the NRA; there was a goal to work towards rather than just sending rounds down range.

I hope your program continues with good attendance.
    Kudo's to anyone who puts the time and effort into supporting NRA High-power and the CMP shooting sports!

I also run these shoots at our club (PMSC) in Pittsburgh. 12 years ago we had 20+ shooters at our monthly matches. Most of the shooters were shooting M1 Garand's and 30.06 ammo was .25 a round. About 8 years ago the program made a turn to most shooters moving to AR's. The M1 shooters started dying out and today we rarely have any participate shooting M1's unless we hold a CMP Sanctioned Garand match.

Now a days we have about 10-12 participants at our monthly 1st Sunday of the month non-sanctioned match (open to the public).
    We also have a small core group (6 of us) that get together every Sunday to practice in the warmer month's. I love this sport!

I had to comment on the NRA classifications system mentioned above. I agree that it can be a goal to some people. However, High-power classifications have little meaning outside of formal competition other than the typically short lived bragging rights to your buddies. I chased the "Master" classification in competition for years. Once I was able to shoot at the "Master" level it soon lost it's importance to me. The NRA's classification system is only there to have you shoot along side shooters of the same skill level in competition for awards, and of you stop competing for 3 years (5 years for Master) you loose you're classification and go back to the "Master-Unclassified" classification.

On the other hand, earning the CMP's Distinguish Rifleman's Badge is something a lot more desirable (at least to me) and much harder to achieve. Unfortunately, you've got to be willing to travel or live near a club that holds regular EIC matches in order to have a chance at achieving this award.

Last edited by Hawk; June 7th, 2019 at 07:30 AM.
    Toujours pręt

(Blair County)

Thanks guys;
    I noticed a mis-type in saying 44 stages. Right now we are shooting 4 stages and 10 rounds per stage. I cannot take any responsibility for starting these matches. The motivating person seems to be Terry Walter a 20 some year veteran of the Logan Township Police force. He has an unlisted phone no. as do a lot of officers. I only met him twice, at match one (fail) and two, 7 shooters. The Bellwood club was formerly affiliated with the CMP. I am retired and gave my phone number because my wife and I have been in CMP matches and are home most of the time.
    I emphasize that I can help ANYONE get started, even to the extent of lending rifles, mats, and gloves and maybe ammo. Give me a call at 814-742-8549.
    Thanks
    Steve Wagner

It's true, you have to travel because there are not a lot of 600yd ranges around.

On the Pittsburgh side of the state, there are several clubs that hold EIC matches and are close enough that you can drive to the club, shoot the match, and come home all in the same day: Reade Range PA Ft Hill MD Alliance OH Solon OH
    If you shoot at Clairton PA or Zanesville OH, in their matches, you can practice for legs at 200 & 300 yards then they use 600yd targets that are reduced for use at 300yd in the prone slow fire.
    I have shot at all the above clubs except Alliance, and they all run good quality matches. I have friends that are Distinguished and HM shooters that have shot at Alliance and were very pleased with how the Alliance matches were run.

Having a goal of Distinguished Rifleman, President's 100, and to move up in Classification in NRA or CMP, yes the CMP now has a classification system, makes all the difference to some. It lets you know how you stack up against everyone else and keeps you focused toward achieving that next level of competition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12