Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Potential armed teachers would be subjected to mental evaluation and training

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    The fact that they'll need mental evals is a bit unsettling. Shouldn't they already be vetted?
    We had an anti gun troll pop up here during one of the "national conversations" about gun control.
    Her line was her kid's teachers were nuts and even criminal, and there was no way she would trust them with a gun.
    I asked her why she was ok having her kid taught by teachers that were crazy and criminal.
    She had no response.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Potential armed teachers would be subjected to mental evaluation and training

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    We had an anti gun troll pop up here during one of the "national conversations" about gun control.
    Her line was her kid's teachers were nuts and even criminal, and there was no way she would trust them with a gun.
    I asked her why she was ok having her kid taught by teachers that were crazy and criminal.
    She had no response.
    I agree with her, teachers that now belong to the union should not be carrying firearms nor teaching children. They are communists and are teaching kids to be communists. Arming them will make them even more dangerous.
    Last edited by JenniferG; April 27th, 2019 at 11:42 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    144 hours? That's more than I had at the police academy.
    What the hell can take up 144 hours? Especially if you have reasonable gun safety and marksmanship knowledge to start. Why not just pass a certification test?

(Bucks County)

The more the better. Every committee member knows that.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

Ridiculous. , they could go mental at any time with a firearm, they don’t need to be certified by the “State” to have a firearm in school. I know I know, it’s a GFZ.

Dry run to make mandatory for all CCW. WHAT could go wrong?
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Berks County)

It's interesting that FL requires way more training for armed teachers than armed guards. I guess they didn't consider that armed guards encounter school children in public too. Psychological evals are pretty standard for employment that includes the potential use of a firearm. 144 hours seems a bit excessive given the limited scope of the teachers' powers/situations, especially when you consider that armed guards in most states require less than half that and encounter a greater variety of situations.

Is there any case law in PA on requirements for teachers? Is it the school board's prerogative to allow teachers to carry with a LTCF? Or do they need act 235 certification? I know there are a lot of protection of minor training for teachers which suggest it is part of their job description, so I wonder if school programs allowing teachers to carry for the protection of the children makes carrying a firearm incidental to employment and thus requiring act 235 certification.

On another note, I saw an article that said a school in the Philly suburbs was giving teachers small bats (which serve no other purpose) to club attackers with. I'm not sure how this is possible since batons/Billy clubs/blackjacks are not legal in PA, except for law enforcement. It's disappointing that they publicly admit they are breaking the law with no repercussions. So much for rule of law.
    I am not a lawyer

This is another issue in which Florida is leading the way. Hat's off to the many Florida Sheriff's and other law enforcement agencies who support this type of action.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    This is another issue in which Florida is leading the way. Hat's off to the many Florida Sheriff's and other law enforcement agencies who support this type of action.
    ...Sheriff Scott Israel notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    ...Sheriff Scott Israel notwithstanding.
    Yeah, FORMER Sherriff Scott Israel you mean. Most Florida Sheriff's are not wacko liberals like he was.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    The fact that they'll need mental evals is a bit unsettling. Shouldn't they already be vetted?
    The checks up here are usually for child abuse issues. Not sure what they check for in Florida.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast